Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't stay they are stuck. It is a Tesla trademark, in a sense. Everybody around here knows it's a Tesla when all the other Moms are picking up their kids in the old Honda Minivan. It's worth the money. As my daughter video texted me the first day, they came by saying, "Is that a Tesla? Your family is so cool." You can't buy that.

And now that Tesla has figured out how to do something WAY cooler than those old clunky sliding doors that don't even open all the way, why should they change? I don't think that will ever happen. Sort of like all the complaint and worry about door handles on the S when it first came out. "Nothing but a problem," they all said. Now? Nothing but cool.

Tesla is not everybody else's car.

True, almost all publicity photos of the Model X have the doors open. Though the falcon wing doors are much more complex than the door handles ever were. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't putting some resources into redesigning the doors so they still essentially work the same way from the owner's point of view, but they are much easier to install and maintain.

I'm an R&D engineer, but I'm a jack-of-all-trades at heart. I look at designs and think about how to build it. On a number of projects in my career I've ended up being the liaison between departments because I can usually translate between the ways the departments talk.

Elon Musk has learned that you need to listen to the production people when your designing something and there is much more focus on that now with the Model 3, but he probably ran off anyone who had concerns about producing the Model X. Some people have seen the management shake up on the production side as a bad thing, but I suspect Elon wants people over there who will be more aggressive about pushing back when R&D gets too pie in the sky and the current guys just weren't up for that.

My observation on this forum is that I have seen more negativity about the MX and quality problems. As I'm sure there are obvious truths with any first year car but often wonder if there are just haters too or trolling? I guess the real question is for real MX owners is if you had it to do over again would you have purchased the MX? Even with problems is it still better than the average big 3 junk cars? I'm sure MS went through simular issues.

My observation on this forum is that I have seen more negativity about the MX and quality problems. As I'm sure there are obvious truths with any first year car but often wonder if there are just haters too or trolling? I guess the real question is for real MX owners is if you had it to do over again would you have purchased the MX? Even with problems is it still better than the average big 3 junk cars? I'm sure MS went through simular issues.

As a MX owner, I have to admit that the owning it is an emotional roller coaster. The highs are really high (like the auto perpendicular park that I addicted to now) but lows can be frustrating and SC visits implies disruption and not having the car for many days. The technology is definitely world class but the workmanship is subpar. (seals, alignment, materials)

Having owned Nissan Leaf and BMW i3 in their first year, I do not buy the first year issues argument. My BMW i3 is flawless (except that it is unattractive:)) Also I have owned 5 BMWs (x5, 3 series) and never visited the service center except for the scheduled annual maintenance.

To be clear, I am happy to be a beta testers for Autopilot, auto park and FWIW even FWDs but not the basic car reliability.

So all in all, if I had to do it all over again, I would have waited another year before buying it.

As a MX owner, I have to admit that the owning it is an emotional roller coaster. The highs are really high (like the auto perpendicular park that I addicted to now) but lows can be frustrating and SC visits implies disruption and not having the car for many days. The technology is definitely world class but the workmanship is subpar. (seals, alignment, materials)

Having owned Nissan Leaf and BMW i3 in their first year, I do not buy the first year issues argument. My BMW i3 is flawless (except that it is unattractive:)) Also I have owned 5 BMWs (x5, 3 series) and never visited the service center except for the scheduled annual maintenance.

To be clear, I am happy to be a beta testers for Autopilot, auto park and FWIW even FWDs but not the basic car reliability.

So all in all, if I had to do it all over again, I would have waited another year before buying it.

Sorry to hear about all the problems with the X. Hopefully the M3 will be better.

What are Tesla's rules about walking away from an order if it shows up with various fit and finish flaws? Is the consumer 'stuck' buying it? Or can you get the deposit back?

Sorry to hear about all the problems with the X. Hopefully the M3 will be better.

What are Tesla's rules about walking away from an order if it shows up with various fit and finish flaws? Is the consumer 'stuck' buying it? Or can you get the deposit back?

I am sure they will work with you to address your issues but ultimately if you decide to walk away, you will loose your deposit.

As I said, MX is a joy most of time. It might be an odd feeling to describe but is almost like I want no other toy but I want this toy to be much better in terms of reliability and service :)

I agree with Sukhi on the first year model relabilty comment. I leased a 2011 first year model Leaf, VIN 512. Never had a single problem I had it for 2 years, 30k miles. Nothing. Just drove like a champ with zero maintenance cost because the only thing they insist the first year is mandatory battery checkup which is free for the first year. I did have to rotate and and buy new tires though.

image.jpeg
My Model X vin 61xx was nearly flawless on delivery, 2 minor paint spots (from transport). I'm having ZERO drivability issues, a second row seat latch warning showed up couple of times but has always reset on its own. It's a joy to ride, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I had the sunshade up when I first got it, but took it down yesterday, so much better without it, I did get my windows tinted and like to precondition the car before driving, so heat hasn't been much of a bother.

I agree with Sukhi on the first year model relabilty comment. I leased a 2011 first year model Leaf, VIN 512. Never had a single problem I had it for 2 years, 30k miles. Nothing. Just drove like a champ with zero maintenance cost because the only thing they insist the first year is mandatory battery checkup which is free for the first year. I did have to rotate and and buy new tires though.

I would agree with both of you regarding first year issues, that really shouldn't be an excuse these days.

As I said, MX is a joy most of time. It might be an odd feeling to describe but is almost like I want no other toy but I want this toy to be much better in terms of reliability and service
This is a good way to describe it. The way that it manifests for me is that I'm very excited about what Tesla is doing, I love the things they do well, and I am very hopeful they improve the areas where they could be better. Honest conversations about negative points don't have to be negative conversations. So saying that alignment issues are not really OK for a first year car - that's a valid argument, but it doesn't mean we're crying in our collective beers.

What I personally want is for Tesla to succeed. I could list all of the great reasons the world would be better from their success, but the easiest argument for most people to understand is just that it's a great story. Seriously, ten years ago, you could make a fictional movie about what Tesla has done, add a little drama, and sell out theaters. This is one of the bigger stories of my lifetime and many of us here get to participate. For me, that's a great foundation for all of the reasons I want Tesla to succeed.

Tesla needs to earn the young buyer's market. That is why Model 3 is critical to Tesla's success. X and S are more for marketing and novelty to lure people especially young people between age 18-25 to purchase the Model 3. If Tesla is successful in doing so, there is nothing stopping it!

Reactions: modamoda
This looks pretty nice for $44k: 2017 Acura MDX | Third Row Luxury SUV | Acura.com
It comes out tomorrow, the Acura sales guy sent me a message letting me know he can set me up with the first ones of the line. (He doesn't know I got a X). I would buy the sports hybrid if I didn't get the X, I wonder how many people will hold-off purchasing the MDX because of build issues :)

Though my loaded 2014 was $58k and I assume the hybrid would cost even more.

No.. they just got the attention of the youngsters. That is a good start, but that alone is not enough

This looks pretty nice for $44k: 2017 Acura MDX | Third Row Luxury SUV | Acura.com
It comes out tomorrow, the Acura sales guy sent me a message letting me know he can set me up with the first ones of the line. (He doesn't know I got a X). I would buy the sports hybrid if I didn't get the X, I wonder how many people will hold-off purchasing the MDX because of build issues :)

Though my loaded 2014 was $58k and I assume the hybrid would cost even more.

I am trying to justify that my Model X was worth 3 MDX. If it weren't for the issues, it would be!

Turn both cars on in your closed up garage, and you'll find it's worth even more than 3x!

(edited)

On it, will let you know how it goes.

Update: Feeling a little nauseous and my Nest Protect is warning me of excessive CO2 levels. Otherwise everything is going well.

Update: The Tesla's AC compressor blew out the windows of the MDX.

Update: Gonnna go to sleep...feel very tired now zzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited: