Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny the people who disagree that Tesla has done anything wrong with their design of steering wheel controls. Should they maybe get rid of the remaining two school wheels for volume/song selection...etc and replace them with two small mousepad style areas on steering wheel sides to swipe in any direction? Might be fun and can do all kinds of gestures. We don't need any buttons that way.

It's funny the people who disagree that Tesla has done anything wrong with their design of steering wheel controls. Should they maybe get rid of the remaining two school wheels for volume/song selection...etc and replace them with two small mousepad style areas on steering wheel sides to swipe in any direction? Might be fun and can do all kinds of gestures. We don't need any buttons that way.
Stalks will exist for it either by 3rd party like what the s3xy button company is working on and releasing (supposedly next month?) or Tesla will bring them back. Either way, this discussion will ultimately not matter…just like with the yoke today.

Reactions: dsm363
People can have opinions about all kinds of things. That doesn't make them right or well shared opinions. "lol" I guess why not get rid of all the physical buttons? A small mousepad could havel all kinds of gestures drawn on it while driving and turning the steering wheel without looking. Change volume, type things into the browser for search...etc. All kinds of things. Physical buttons just slow people down and get in the way I've learned from experts here.

If they are only going to have one version of the steering wheel (stalkless), the current one certainly isn't more popular than the last one (which I think has 0 threads complaining about the round steering wheel and stalks). They've had to retreat on 1) The yoke only option 2) The amazing horn so just waiting for number 3.

I can't remember who it was but someone here criticized those who had the opinion that getting rid of the round steering wheel and center horn were wrong and just needed to adapt. It's easy they said and not an issue. Just can't remember who repeated that over and over here.

Put it this way. Has going to the yoke only with no center horn and stalks been universally well received? Has it increased buyers to Tesla or are there people who say they'll never buy a car with those features? We all know they brought back the round steering wheel for some strange reason since no one likes it. They've also brought back the center horn (going to be on all cars) which also makes no sense as the small flat horn button is easy and universally liked according to one expert here. I just don't get why Tesla is bringing these things back.

Keeping stalks would have alienated no one. Removing them was only ever going to lose customers
Exactly. This improvement even if it only turns away 10% of buyers is....well....10% of buyers. Not something Tesla needs right now with their stock and the competition.

Well the fact he said that 3 years ago yet you still ordered likely means it can’t be that big of an issue. It’s pretty clear by now their company decision is to leave it.
Talking about center horn update here. Your opinion was Tesla will never change it and those complaining about it were wrong and needed to get over it. So odd that you ended up being wrong there. Apparently it wasn't that clear. Equally odd they brought it back for the Cybertruck, Model 3, Model S, Model X and assume Model Y soon too.
I'm sure there are countless articles there talking about the controversial round steering wheel and turn signal stalks. I assume there is balance here and plenty of complaints before 2020 on the traditional set up. Just having a hard time finding them for some strange reason.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: terranx
Funnier to think there can only be one opinion and all others Must be wrong. lol
On the contrary, had anyone run any experiments on this change, OBJECTIVE DATA would have clearly demonstrated that removing the turn signal stalk would degrade driver response time and nearly preclude turns signal use in sharp roundabouts, among other issues.

Sadly, however, a videogame loving CEO can override every engineer at Tesla when he's come off a multi-hour videogame binge session . . . .

The sooner they correct this absurd Human Factors error, the better.

On the contrary, had anyone run any experiments on this change, OBJECTIVE DATA would have clearly demonstrated that removing the turn signal stalk would degrade driver response time and nearly preclude turns signal use in sharp roundabouts, among other issues.

Sadly, however, a videogame loving CEO can override every engineer at Tesla when he's come off a multi-hour videogame binge session . . . .

The sooner they correct this absurd Human Factors error, the better.
Forget about correcting it, they doubled down on it with CT and Highland. Tesla got high on their own supply thinking people will accept anything they put out.

Forget about correcting it, they doubled down on it with CT and Highland. Tesla got high on their own supply thinking people will accept anything they put out.
Highland and Model Y refresh will be the big tests IMO. S/X were always relative niche products for them. But Tesla needs to keep sales up for the 3/Y to survive. They’re already having a hard time moving them lately. And if a contingent of buyers are avoiding them due to the stalks, I could see them bringing them back

Highland and Model Y refresh will be the big tests IMO. S/X were always relative niche products for them. But Tesla needs to keep sales up for the 3/Y to survive. They’re already having a hard time moving them lately. And if a contingent of buyers are avoiding them due to the stalks, I could see them bringing them back
They could easily do a market test. Charge $250 (or make it free) option for stalks when ordering. See if people are willing to cover the difference in price.

Keeping stalks would have alienated no one. Removing them was only ever going to lose customers
This is what some of the experts here discount other people's opinions when they say they dislike lack of stalks or center horn telling them to 'get over it and adapt'. But when you point out Tesla is already reversing their stance on this for the horn at least, they complain you're telling them their opinion is wrong.

So yeah, it was never going to increase sales. At best, it would have no impact but that doesn't seem to be the case. Even if it only turned off 2,000 Model S sales a year, that's $40 million in profits or so to save maybe $400,000 in parts or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I went from 2013 model S with traditional stalks to 2023 with no stalks. For me it was a very easy transition and after a couple of months I actually like it. So I don’t understand the concerns about the loss of stalks. Each to their own I guess.
You have to own the car and drive it to figure out if it works for you though. There has to be at least a few percent of potential buyers who refuse to buy a Tesla just because of this one small issue. Are they wrong and lack of stalks is better in every way? Maybe but they'll never buy the car and find out. There are a few posts around this forum saying their current Tesla with stalks will be their last if they don't fix this. Tesla needs every sale they can get. Especially on the low volume cars like S and X.

On the other hand, I'd imagine 0% of buyers refused to buy a Model S because it had turn signal stalk and gear selector. Tesla should just give round steering wheel with stalks and yoke with the buttons and see what does better.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot