Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on an inventory Model S. Found one to test drive (again), and spent half the drive fumbling with the turn signal buttons. I know it's something you eventually get used to, but I REALLY hated them on that test drive. I'm actually considering just getting a MYP instead even though it's in a completely different league.

How long did it take you to get used to them, to the point of not having to look down and/or not ever missing turning signals on properly?

And how long for your significant other that might only drive your car once in a while? I have a feeling mine will just refuse to drive it at all after trying it once...

Reactions: unk45
To me, the turn signals are the LEAST problematic issue with the stalkless approach. The horn and the yoke shape are more of a problem to me. I actually like the idea of not moving your hands off of the controls to initiate a turn, but as others have pointed out, sometimes the wheel is turned so you lose orientation to the buttons…but 90% of the time I actually prefer them.

Not me, but I know a Model X owner who prefers stalkless over stalks, although she didn't mention how long it took her to get used to stalkless. She made the observation on a trip where she rented a Model 3 and found re-adapting to stalks a bother. She thought stalks were less efficient now that she's used to her refresh Model X. FWIW

I am sure some people love stalkless, and others will decide otherwise for a variety of reasons. I've seen a number of posts here brutally lambasting stalkless by owners who have never tried it...I'd discount those views. YMMV

Not me, but I know a Model X owner who prefers stalkless over stalks, although she didn't mention how long it took her to get used to stalkless. She made the observation on a trip where she rented a Model 3 and found re-adapting to stalks a bother. She thought stalks were less efficient now that she's used to her refresh Model X. FWIW

I am sure some people love stalkless, and others will decide otherwise for a variety of reasons. I've seen a number of posts here brutally lambasting stalkless by owners who have never tried it...I'd discount those views. YMMV
I prefer it in my MS compared to the stalks in my MY. It looks like all Teslas will be stalkless, so people will need to get used to it.

The auto shift works really well, but even in the 2% chance it's wrong it's just as easy to swipe up/down as it is to hit a stalk. The turn signals are easy to get used to, but the horn is dumb. I rarely use my horn anymore.

I prefer it in my MS compared to the stalks in my MY. It looks like all Teslas will be stalkless, so people will need to get used to it.

The auto shift works really well, but even in the 2% chance it's wrong it's just as easy to swipe up/down as it is to hit a stalk. The turn signals are easy to get used to, but the horn is dumb. I rarely use my horn anymore.

The horn is the dumb one…it‘s not like the removed a “push” sensor, so why reinvent something to make it completely unintuitive (and arguably dangerous)? At least the “hold your hand over the whole right side” seems to work, but still 100% unorthodox.

Reactions: narth327
I have actually been practicing with the volume and distance buttons of my Model 3 while spinning the wheel ;)

I know I would just hate the yoke, so I will make sure it is the round wheel, but I trust I can get used to the stalks being gone.

I have never pressed the horn (it's not polite to do where I live) so that doesn't worry me. Distance setting I use all the time, so that will need some getting used to.

I wonder if the Scroll Wheel Customization can be used to customize the Following Distance via the steering wheel controls:

I have actually been practicing with the volume and distance buttons of my Model 3 while spinning the wheel ;)

I know I would just hate the yoke, so I will make sure it is the round wheel, but I trust I can get used to the stalks being gone.

I have never pressed the horn (it's not polite to do where I live) so that doesn't worry me. Distance setting I use all the time, so that will need some getting used to.

I wonder if the Scroll Wheel Customization can be used to customize the Following Distance via the steering wheel controls:

There is no scroll wheel customization on the S/X. It's only for the 3/Y.

Reactions: Mayer
Turn signal is the hardest to master. On easy cruising days, I was able to master it after 1k miles. But driving on street during rush hour traffic and try to zigzag my way out is quite challenging, I still miss pushing the right button. Sometimes I feel like I’m just doing a Hail Mary while switching lanes. Lol

For me about a week to get used to the blinker buttons for about 99.9% of the time. Took a few months to get used to the rare odd steering position and needing to set the blinker. There are also odd similar situations with stalks, so I give it a wash. It is nice that the blinkers automatically clear in about 90% of the situations (i.e. after lane changes and freeway exits, which stalks never did). It doesn't yet clear for some lane merge situations, but hopefully it will be improved in a future update.

For me about a week to get used to the blinker buttons for about 99.9% of the time. Took a few months to get used to the rare odd steering position and needing to set the blinker. There are also odd similar situations with stalks, so I give it a wash. It is nice that the blinkers automatically clear in about 90% of the situations (i.e. after lane changes and freeway exits, which stalks never did). It doesn't yet clear for some lane merge situations, but hopefully it will be improved in a future update.
Agree. One benefit for sure over the stalk is the automatic clear.

About 10 minutes to get used to it. Though sometimes the left one doesn't work and I've had 2 swaps already so it's annoying. I also mostly just drive straight on the 5 so don't have the turning issue many do

Changing the way a device works should be an improvement. I have both a Model X Plaid and a Mini Cooper SE. I have to say that although I have learned to use the stalkless buttons on the Model X, using the stalks on the Mini is still easier and more intuitive. I don't think the yoke and stalkless buttons are an improvement to the driving experience. If I could put back a round wheel with stalks on my Plaid X, I would do it.

It took me no time at all, maybe one day, to get use to the turn signals on my 2023 MS, which was a surprise to me, because I wondered about that like the OP. It is really like only two keys on a keyboard separated by a touch bar. Easy, don't let this deter you from buying a Model S. Mine has been great with no problems other than a dash rattle which was an easy DIY fix.

• Helpful