Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would seem to me Tesla complies today on all its vehicles. All the controls talked about are physical discrete buttons that never disappear, although touch-activated. I think the concern is when those buttons only exist on the touch screen, and would not be available if the screen was dead. I suspect some bottom-end China models may have moved every control to a small touch screen.

Reactions: zoomer0056
4 months and 2500 miles later, I am still fumbling to find the buttons on the steering wheel for wipers, headlights and turning. Sometimes, muscle memory works, but this is like learning a unicycle, not just switching to a new bicycle. Its my only complaint about the car. I would like some stalks in the aftermarket or factory options.
Hopefully these are released soon for people that want them:

4 months and 2500 miles later, I am still fumbling to find the buttons on the steering wheel for wipers, headlights and turning. Sometimes, muscle memory works, but this is like learning a unicycle, not just switching to a new bicycle. Its my only complaint about the car. I would like some stalks in the aftermarket or factory options.
I have a 2022 Yoked MSLR. For me, no problems with turn signal as there's a raised line between them. I don't use the brights or wiper that much. However, I did apply a clear raised plastic dot on the horn. It can now easily be found by touch alone.
1000028064.jpg
1000028066.jpg

About 8 months into the refresh Model S. Got used to the turn buttons fairly quickly, but still find myself with the wrong signal on here and there when coming out of complex driving situations where your muscle memory and/or intuition takes over. I can live with that, but there have been many times where I couldn't find the horn and/or high beam button quickly enough (e.g. people suddenly cutting into lane, blowing through stop signs, etc). Even with the stupid plastic stickers on the buttons.

The other aspect is having others (spouse, kids) drive it occasionally - there's no way they'll ever develop the muscle memory to react quickly in situations like that.

IMO the horn button is the most asinine design decision Tesla's ever made. I've been waiting for the new wheel to become available, but if it's $1800 as some have reported, I might finally jump ship to something else (after almost a decade of nothing but Teslas) especially now that Superchargers for non Teslas is around the corner or here.

I'm a year and just under 15k in and it's still an ass pain, but manageable. The far bigger issue is the horn, which still requires me to look for it. If the new wheel with center/airbag horn is a direct fit I'd pay another $700 to switch from my current round wheel to the get back to an intuitive/working horn.

It took me about 30 minutes of driving to get used to it, but I realize that's probably a lot lower than for other people. I have no issue at all with the horn button; I've had three different NA Miatas over the years, so the muscle memory is already there for the thumb button. On top of that, I only ever use it for a quick beep if someone's not paying attention to a green light. I've never tried to hit the horn in an emergency situation in any car I've driven.
The turn signals are ok with me, just an occasional miss if I'm trying to press the a button mid-corner and forget to feel for the little ridge between the two buttons. For years I've been considering converting my rally car to stalkless and putting a bunch of buttons on the wheel instead. Now that I've had the new Model S for awhile and don't have any issues with it, I think I'll probably convert the rally car over this summer. I might even see if I can get touch button modules for it instead of individual physical buttons as I suspect that would result in fewer wires to get the signals through the quick release and clockspring.

Reactions: vcor
I'm a year and just under 15k in and it's still an ass pain, but manageable. The far bigger issue is the horn, which still requires me to look for it. If the new wheel with center/airbag horn is a direct fit I'd pay another $700 to switch from my current round wheel to the get back to an intuitive/working horn.
If/when they offer upgrades it will be more than $700.

The yoke and original wheel also used different airbags, and that was still a $700 swap.

No real difference here in the “what needs tI be replaced” department.

I thought they were the same, and the SC just swapped it out and into the replacement yoke/wheel. But I hope you're right, in which case when they finally to make the new wheel or yoke available in the Tesla store, it will hopefully be closer to that $700. I'd rather change cars than pay $1800 for a new wheel.

I thought they were the same, and the SC just swapped it out and into the replacement yoke/wheel. But I hope you're right, in which case when they finally to make the new wheel or yoke available in the Tesla store, it will hopefully be closer to that $700. I'd rather change cars than pay $1800 for a new wheel.

No, they are most definitely different. The fabric of the airbag itself has a different shape for yoke vs wheel; the one for the yoke has to pop out the back a little to give it some support on the upper half. They actually issued a recall for vehicles where someone used a yoke airbag on a round wheel - that’s no bueno!

It would seem to me Tesla complies today on all its vehicles. All the controls talked about are physical discrete buttons that never disappear, although touch-activated. I think the concern is when those buttons only exist on the touch screen, and would not be available if the screen was dead. I suspect some bottom-end China models may have moved every control to a small touch screen.
They are capacitive touch buttons that don't depress though. Not physical buttons. So it all depends on how the EU interprets that.

Last edited:
Just test drove Model 3 Highland and Model S Plaid on a same day.

With the M3 I found myself grasping behind the wheel trying to find the indicator stalk. But I got used to it quickly, and with the MS I don't think I made a single mistake, it started becoming natural.

For me it was much more difficult changing from my previous 2013 MS to the current 2016 MX, as the indicator and cruise stalk swapped places between the two! Always started blinkers when trying to adjust cruise, and started cruise when trying to indicate a turn.. :) Latter can be actually quite dangerous because you get "unintended acceleration event" when cruise starts speeding while you are rolling towards an intersection.

I feel it's simpler to go completely stalkless as you notice your mistake right away when the entire stalk is missing.

I'm 99.999% close to hitting the order button on an inventory Plaid... Fingers crossed. 😁

As much as I hate to admit it, after owning my Model S for close to 2 years now, I am actually starting to like the whole 'stalkless' design.
I like the whole no-cluster driving thing that Tesla was going for (though that was just an excuse to cut cost).

The only time I miss the stalks, is when I have the wheel in full lock or making sharp turns and merging into the adjacent lanes. But for everything else, the indicator buttons have become second nature now. I can hit the corrrect indicator with confidence without having to look and the capacitive touch buttons have perfect tactile and response.

Now, every time I get into my wife's car or any other vehicle, the use of stalks feel cluttered, albeit it's just muscle memory.

One minor plus for no stalks is those stalks are dust collectors that are not the easiest to clean. The fewer stalks the less to clean. Ok, doubt this is going to sway anyone's mind either way!

Given the option of Stalks/No Stalks, I'm in the no Stalks camp. I only drive one car so, there isn't an issue of switching between cars. I can see those who drive different cars wanting them all to be the same.