Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only time I miss the stalks, is when I have the wheel in full lock or making sharp turns and merging into the adjacent lanes. But for everything else
“…and except for that one thing, I really enjoyed the play.” - Mrs. Abraham Lincoln

These “one off” exceptions happen, perhaps more than one thinks, and explain why stalkless is a bad idea despite being something one can get used to for most situations. I want turn signals I can use in every situation I initiate, including these turns.

Reactions: dsm363 and brooklyn
After two months and 6900km (4300mi) I'm still not used to them at all. As a matter of fact I hate them far more than I expected. Main reasons are the roundabouts we have here. Lots and lots. 10+ in my daily commute (30mi). They are all over Europe. Every time you want to indicate that you are leaving the roundabout. It is difficult and therefore distracting to press the correct button on your upsidedown steering wheel. This is mandatory and if you don't do it also very irritating for others because they can't see if they can enter or not. And if you don't press them exactly in the middle they don't work also. You can't feel where they are. Stalks are always there and don't need to looked at to use them. The car has become less safe by taking out the stalks. An exemple of less is less. Much less. So much so that the EU has now decided that in the future cars can only be awarded with the maximum 5-star safety rating if certain functions can also be executed by a physical switch.

After 13 miles of driving a Model 3 (Highland) I find I prefer them.
My hands don’t need to move away from the wheel.
The buttons can be felt without looking. I understand this is different from the Model S. I do hope that changes for the S as I feel the implementation on the 3 is safer.

I also completely understand how a lot of tight round-a-bouts would make it very annoying.

Reactions: PeterSZ
...So much so that the EU has now decided that in the future cars can only be awarded with the maximum 5-star safety rating if certain functions can also be executed by a physical switch.
The buttons on the steering wheel are considered a switch, so Tesla still meets the 5-star safety rating. There is nothing about requiring stalks.

How do you know this? Seems like a flat button that has no physical movement could be interpreted different ways.
Do a Google search for capacitive switch. Here's one result:

1000028366.jpg

Reactions: dsm363 and vcor
Do a Google search for capacitive switch. Here's one result:

View attachment 1028607
I see. Still seems to be it depends on how the EU regulators interpret the language of a 'physical control' or whatever was in that post from before. But maybe we haven't seen the final language of the regulation. I wouldn't consider a flat button with no physical feedback a physical button or control.

I could be wrong and Tesla will be completely covered by this regulation.

Last edited:
Yoke was pretty easy for me to adapt. Used to riding motorcycles, so using thumbs to press was pretty natural.
Few traffic signals around here, and they usually do not require turning the yoke over 90*, so buttons still easy to push.
Love the look of the yoke and it makes the interior much more spacious. Wheel blocked the center display, so much better sight lines with the yoke.
Stalks always felt cheap, and kludgy. Way to many functions on them, that are now pretty much automated by Tesla. Still smile when I see another vehicle driving with their blinkers on for miles.
Thumb button for the horn is easy to use, but I understand that Tesla is putting that in the center pad for newer production.

Tesla's philosophy is that the best button is no buttton. Know this will take some getting used to, but will save lots of expensive stalks and speed up production time while helping to drive down prices.

Reactions: Yelobird
Yoke was pretty easy for me to adapt. Used to riding motorcycles, so using thumbs to press was pretty natural.
Few traffic signals around here, and they usually do not require turning the yoke over 90*, so buttons still easy to push.
Love the look of the yoke and it makes the interior much more spacious. Wheel blocked the center display, so much better sight lines with the yoke.
Stalks always felt cheap, and kludgy. Way to many functions on them, that are now pretty much automated by Tesla. Still smile when I see another vehicle driving with their blinkers on for miles.
Thumb button for the horn is easy to use, but I understand that Tesla is putting that in the center pad for newer production.

Tesla's philosophy is that the best button is no buttton. Know this will take some getting used to, but will save lots of expensive stalks and speed up production time while helping to drive down prices.
The stalks are not an expensive part of the car and wouldn't slow down production of a car that sells 20,000 a year or so. The Model S isn't a price sensitive model so if it costs $74,990 versus $75,120 I'm sure it would sell just as well.

For now, all this talk is just hypothetical speculating. Just gotta wait 'till the horse speaks to see how those in control interpret their own words.
Agree. I am hoping they force a push back to physical control for some functions. It's great to have a screen for most of the lesser used settings but I think Tesla went a little too far with 2 buttons for the entire car.

For now, all this talk is just hypothetical speculating. Just gotta wait 'till the horse speaks to see how those in control interpret their own words.
You want less physical controls that the two steering wheel scroll wheels? You think the current implementation is well done with no need for improvement (the fact we have a center horn again kind of discounts that theory).

Adding assumptions to speculation does not support any argument.
So explain then so I'm not assuming anything. You disliked my statement saying I think Tesla went to far eliminating almost all physical buttons so assume you disagree there.

Put it this way. From 2012-2020 how many threads are there about "I can't stand this steering wheel" or "What's the deal with this turn signal stalk?"?