Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast will Tesla go in reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those appear to be DAF 33, known as the Dafodil. It was the first car built with a continuously variable transmission. I owned one of those in 1966. The brand new DAF was driven from Virginia to western Kansas (Hays) where i was studying the chalk beds at the time. A drive belt had broken in Hays and the car was left there. I did a quick check and found that an International Harvester combine drive belt was a fit, so I bought the car for $50 and the belt for a dollar or so and had a new DAF. I drove it home to New York, where I lived at the time and later sold it. Weird and wonderful car for the time. It was indeed as fast in reverse as in forward, but not too quick in either direction. Much later I found out that Dutch people of my age thought these "races" were great fun.

Obviously there is no legitimate purpose for a higher speed --

Chase scenes in action flicks down?

Not really a great chase until the protagonist gets cut off, throws it into reverse, and drives right through all the bad guys he just drove away from! Followed by the obligatory 180 & back into drive mode.

BEV chase scenes with no roaring engines will seem weird the first time you see one...

Not exactly on topic but this thread about reverse has me thinking. What would happen if while driving down the freeway one accidentally bumped the shift level up into reverse?

I have accidentally put the car in neutral while at speed and all that happened was a warning suggesting I put the car in gear. Duh! :)

I'm guessing the car is idiot proof or at least idiot resistant enough to not obey if I did hit reverse and maybe just flash some snarky message.

Not exactly on topic but this thread about reverse has me thinking. What would happen if while driving down the freeway one accidentally bumped the shift level up into reverse?

I have accidentally put the car in neutral while at speed and all that happened was a warning suggesting I put the car in gear. Duh! :)

I'm guessing the car is idiot proof or at least idiot resistant enough to not obey if I did hit reverse and maybe just flash some snarky message.

You won't get past N. I've tried.