Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do Superchargers know my ID?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother-in-law bought my Model 3 reservation. His credit card showed up on my Tesla Account. I got to snoop at his travels and could see every time he charged up. The fee went directly to his CC, but left a record in my History.

What I cant address is how quickly his plug-in linked to the base account - immediately? nightly reconciliation? That the accounting was correct was all that mattered to me. The log-on security is/was a Tesla issue, not a concern to me.

My impression is that the car records the charging event and uploads nightly - so the data stream is not from the charger, but from the car at whatever frequency the car connects to the mother ship. For a short interval, Tesla is on the hook until the reconciliation takes place.

What? You have access to Tesla servers? you can use Tesla data for home automation? That seems wrong on so many levels.
I thought driving data would be collected by Corporate for their purposes, but that would be kept private. Accessing that for home-use seems to violate that implied secrete stuff. Can ANY one track my whereabouts by following your path? Please pull back the curtain a bit more.

A phone-app that accesses your own car - that seems fine, logical and useful. Taping into the Tesla Servers to stalk others - not such a good thing.

My brother-in-law bought my Model 3 reservation. His credit card showed up on my Tesla Account. I got to snoop at his travels and could see every time he charged up. The fee went directly to his CC, but left a record in my History.
lol

Hey - I did not invent the system, just made observations. I did not WANT to watch the coming/going of Brother, but his data appeared on my account. Now, he had to get authorization to get into my account - so the general public was not involved. I'm (mostly ) secure.

I'm convinced by these 40+ comments that everything is cool. But there are enough flags here that suggest privacy COULD be compromised. The rate of fraud, the classiness of Tesla owners, the small number of owners, how busy Corporate is - all work in my favor to keeping my life private. But one can imagine the Terminator being able to hunt you down!!