Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a cable hanger. I will ask my nephew where he gets his and re-post to the group. By the way, the Tesla brand cable hanger will come later. This is the same case when I got my 80Amp HPWC. The HPWC was shipped to me without cable hanger. 4 months later, Tesla shipped it to me. The reason why they didn't ship the cable hanger with the HPWC is because it was still "in design".

It's charging.. YAY..... Happy happy!

f169d6dacc2fc0f53ec67faa65558341.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I still haven't decided how to store the vehicle cable on mine. I see you found some black hose hanger. Any other ideas, as the HK units don't come with a vehicle connector hook like the HPWC?

I checked with my nephew. He said the electrician throws it in at no charge (he is trying to re-cycle his stuffs). Speaking of recycle, I have this J-Hook (also meant for hanging cable). I got this long ago to use with my HPWC (before Tesla send me the Tesla brand cable hanger). I have no use of it now and would like to give it out. If you want it, please pm me your address and I will ship it to you. No cost no fee no shipping to you. I am trying to recycle too.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

More charging photos:

photo 5.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 2-1.JPG
photo 1-1.JPG

It's charging.. YAY..... Happy happy! I checked with my nephew. He said the electrician throws it in at no charge (he is trying to re-cycle his stuffs). Speaking of recycle, I have this J-Hook (also meant for hanging cable). I got this long ago to use with my HPWC (before Tesla send me the Tesla brand cable hanger). I have no use of it now and would like to give it out. If you want it, please pm me your address and I will ship it to you. No cost no fee no shipping to you. I am trying to recycle too.

Nice pictures Waidy! I would like to have your J-hook, but I don't need one know coz the garage for my HPWC isn't ready yet. For those who can read Chinese and wanna buy one in HK, you can try taobao.com,
正品包郵 德國凱馳 外牆架子 水管掛牆架 園藝 園林 水管收納架
ABS工程塑料掛牆式水管水槍支架
庭院壁掛式水管架塑料軟管快速接頭類掛牆式微噴滴灌園藝用品配件

Last edited:
Nice pictures Waidy! I would like to have your J-hook, but I don't need one know coz the garage for my HPWC isn't ready yet. For those who can read Chinese and wanna buy one in HK, you can try taobao.com,
正品包郵 德國凱馳 外牆架子 水管掛牆架 園藝 園林 水管收納架
ABS工程塑料掛牆式水管水槍支架
庭院壁掛式水管架塑料軟管快速接頭類掛牆式微噴滴灌園藝用品配件

kabelhouder Franks Design - Page 5 drawings: forum member xfrank

Mine is on the wall, and looks similar to Waidy's install. In the end, I went with cables rated for 60A as that meant I could re-use some existing trunking and the price was slightly better. Putting in 100A cables would have needed thicker trunking and would have looked messier. I normally charge my roadster at 50A anyway (on a 70A HPC), so I figure something similar for the Model S will be fine.

photo.JPG

Final cost was HK$5k for 10metres of cable (x3), 63A circuit breaker, 63A isolator switch, case for isolator switch, trunking, wall installation, and labour to do it all. I think it took the electrician about 2 to 3 hours work (plus another hour on the previous site visit), so he did pretty well out of it.

The arrangement of the isolator switch to the left, then a short solid trunking to the wall connector, is very neat and tidy. Definitely recommended.

Only negative is that the sleek new wall connector makes my roadster HPC look like a dinosaur. My old HPC also used a metal isolator switch box, which had corroded over the years, so the electrician swapped that out for a new PVC box (same as the one on the wall connector shown) - much neater and he did it free-of-charge so no complaints.

When you all have your chargers up and running - then I can assist with a thermal camera to check the installation. It shows temperature differences to a tenth of a degree and is a great way to discover any faults in the circuit. Especially if we make thermal pictures/video of different HPWCs, then we can compare the heat signatures.

It's a lot of power running through a new installation, inside your garage (or maybe house), and if there is any problems with fires or burnouts, the press will be quick to run yet another smearing campaign against EVs.

Shannon

Nicely done Mark, but as will be for all the Tesla wall unit, it misses the cover for the socket. It is not very nice to have the socket just hanging in the air like that uncovered, is it?? I'd prefer something like the photos showing, a small rubber cap to cover the socket.
IMG_6492[1].JPG

Nicely done Mark, but as will be for all the Tesla wall unit, it misses the cover for the socket. It is not very nice to have the socket just hanging in the air like that uncovered, is it?? I'd prefer something like the photos showing, a small rubber cap to cover the socket.

The Hong Kong wall connector will come with something like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400662381.174890.jpg

Just not available yet - I am told within the next few months, and we will get US version (which does not fit that well) in the meantime.

Just found out that the WALL CONNECTOR INSTALLATION GUIDE - HONG KONG on the My Dashboard page has been updated since 22/05/2014. Seems like they've basically dropped the split phase and added a chapter on the wall connector's 12-month limited warranty.

Here: Charging with 220V 13A socket in Hong Kong - Page 9
River shows a reply from Tesla regarding their current strategy for Hong Kong.

Hi River,

My apologies for the delay in my response, I have been traveling internationally for some time and had limited access to e-mail. In regards to your question, we will have a BS1363 Charging solution available later this year.

After recent testing, we have decided that a wall connector (capable of charging up to 40amps) provides the best end-user experience as opposed to supporting these 13amps outlets.

This more recent strategic change is based on some mixed long term test results we received on the BS1363 outlets. Our testing has shown that the BS1363 outlets are not robust enough to handle the continued stress that high volume electric vehicles will subject it to, even if configured to 10A. The outlets are home outlets essentially designed for lamps and desktop computers: they were never conceived or designed to handle an electric vehicle’s unique needs. We want to assure you we are continually looking for solutions to provide the safest most reliable public charging and are actively working with HK Electric and CLP to achieve this goal. While we do not condone using a mobile connector as a primary charging solution, we are currently validating a connector to allow the Model S to charge from these outlets on a secondary basis. Once we can confirm that this connector is safe and reliable over the long term, we will make it available as an accessory.

Superchargers will help enable a wider network of public charging, as well as the many Type II chargers(IEC62196) that are planned. IEC62196 is the new standard of electric vehicle charging in Hong Kong and the major utilities are currently migrating to this standard. Instead of supporting an outdated standard, we have been working directly with the utilities to help them roll out this new wave of public charging. These IEC62196 chargers will be able to charge at 4-5x the speed of traditional 13a sockets and have proven themselves to be safe and reliable over the long term. Currently, the Hong Kong government is pursuing the installation of 100 of these IEC62196 by the end of the year and be fully compatible with Model S.

Additionally, we expect two superchargers to be operational by the end of the Summer which will be a great additional charging resource. I am currently out of country, but your best resource to help you devise a charging strategy would be Kenneth, our Sales manager. Please call us at 852.3184.0555, and we will be able to advise as well as discuss next steps moving forward.

Best....

(Apologies for the cross-post, but that is such a clear statement, that it is very relevant to both 13A and other charging standards for Hong Kong)

That is what I have been hearing for some time, but very good to see it written down so clearly. IMHO, that is the basis of a good strategy for Tesla in Hong Kong. 40A Wall Connectors as the primary method, then BS1363 / IEC62196 Type 2 / SuperCharging as the secondary.

Tesla Motors HK website has been updated.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Here is the latest:

1. Car side is European style socket (IEC 62196) - for mobile charging, the car is compatible with public charging stations using the IEC 62196 standard connector (charge rates up to 55 kilometers of range per hour of charge are possible depending on the power source)
  2. Cars will be Hong Kong specification (which may or may not differ from European cars)
  3. Charging port is at the rear left hand side of the car
  4. Cars will come with a 40A single phase wall connector included (early units of this wall connector are currently limited to 32A - these will be upgraded to 40A later in the summer of 2014 via minor firmware/hardware upgrade)
  5. Cars ordered with the dual chargers option will be provided with a matching (higher-capacity than 40A single phase) wall connector (for those taking delivery before early 2015, a temporary 40A single phase connector will be provided)
  6. An 80A single phase wall connector is under development and will be available in early 2015
  7. A 32A three phase wall connector is under development and will be available in early 2015
  8. At launch, no BS 1363 mobile connector will be available from Tesla, although several third party units are available
  9. A Tesla offered BS1363 mobile connector is under development and will be available in late 2014 (Tesla do not recommend this as a primary charging solution due to variations in the quality and reliability of UK type 1363 outlets)

"Cars ordered with the dual chargers option will be provided with a matching (higher-capacity than 40A single phase) wall connector (for those taking delivery before early 2015, a temporary 40A single phase connector will be provided)"

That means there is no need to order a HPWC if I chose the Duel Charger Option? Kind of confusing...

markwj;669466 [LIST=1 said:
[*]Cars will come with a 40A single phase wall connector included (early units of this wall connector are currently limited to 32A - these will be upgraded to 40A later in the summer of 2014 via minor firmware/hardware upgrade)
[*]A 32A three phase wall connector is under development and will be available in early 2015
[/LIST]

Thank you Mark!
Question. If I am preparing for the wiring now, what should I do? 32A 3-Phase will be faster than 40A Single Phase right?

"Cars ordered with the dual chargers option will be provided with a matching (higher-capacity than 40A single phase) wall connector (for those taking delivery before early 2015, a temporary 40A single phase connector will be provided)"

That means there is no need to order a HPWC if I chose the Duel Charger Option? Kind of confusing...

Yes. If you order a car with dual chargers now, you will be given a single phase 40A wall connector first, and later they will upgrade that for you to a 'matching wall connector' (presumably 80A single phase, but perhaps 32A three phase may be offered as an option).

- - - Updated - - -

[/LIST]

Thank you Mark!
Question. If I am preparing for the wiring now, what should I do? 32A 3-Phase will be faster than 40A Single Phase right?

Yes, 32A three phase will be quicker than 40A single phase if your car has dual chargers.

Wiring recommendation really depends on your parking arrangement and what you have available. For example, my home 60A single phase installation was more expensive than a quote I've just seen for a 50A three phase installation. It really depends on what capacity is in your electrical panel and how much cable/trunking needs to be laid. Best to talk to Tesla charge team for advise, or get EVpower to come and have a look.

At least it is now very clearly specified what is happening. We know that the cars are coming with a single phase 40A wall connector, and that in future both 80A single phase and 32A three phase will be offered.

Except the Supercharger, 32A 3-phase is the fastest charging possible. As per my conversation with Tesla in Festival Walk yesterday, they are not sure if the RHD cars, which are in HK already, accept 3-phase already. It looks like, they had no way to check it out and I might have the first 3-phase wallbox installed in town. :smile:
They are quite keen to test, once my installation is complete.