Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mark says that 2 or 3 phase appliances aren't used in Hong Kong (hence Tesla's hesitation).

Hmmm. Not so sure that is the reason for Tesla's hesitation. I suspect it is more regarding the issue in Europe with the internal wiring arrangement and single vs dual chargers. Seems to be that if you wire the cars for 3 phase, the single phase support is not so good (particularly with single chargers).

The home / commercial power supply in HK is a mix of single phase and three phase. I suspect that at the car-park level (building main supply room), three phase MCBs are the norm. It is true that there are very few three phase appliances in the home / commercial environment (perhaps there are in the industrial, but that is not really relevant). There is no split phase in common use, that I am aware of.

In general, in Hong Kong, I would say that the supply is typically three phase, are three lives and a common neutral, but most equipment is wired as phase-to-neutral (single phase).

P.S. Just had a very strange conversation with a licensed electrician doing some work for me. My garage (three phase) MCB currently has just one phase used, and a load about to go in on the second phase (for my Model S Wall Connector). I want to connect a digital meter to the two used phases via clip-on current transformers. to monitor electricity usage. He is adamant that it is against Hong Kong regulations to only monitor two phases. His explanation is that the regs say you must wire to a single phase or to all three phases, and never to two. I could connect two single phase electricity meters to each of L1 and L2, but cannot connect a single device monitoring both L1 and L2. I am wondering if this regulation is somehow related to prohibition against split phase. Anyway, for my electricity meter, I must connect three current transformers, with one never seeing any load.

I've made a short unboxing video of the wall connector:

Note that the wall connector can be configured 10A through 40A (matching 16A through 50A circuit breaker and wiring), but early units are currently limited to 32A. These early units will be upgraded to 40A later in the summer 2014, via minor firmware/hardware upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job Markwj!! My sister's will be started and completed today. I will post some photos here. I don't know whether this is the place to post this email in which I got from Tesla.

I do have another update on charging that you may find beneficial:

For all cars that are configured with the dual chargers, we will provide the 80A wall connector free of charge when it becomes available (late 2014 as a reminder).

Our website is being updated to reflect that now so the HKD $9300 you were expecting to pay for Jeanne’s car will be removed from paperwork at the time you take delivery.

Good job Markwj!! My sister's will be started and completed today. I will post some photos here. I don't know whether this is the place to post this email in which I got from Tesla.

I do have another update on charging that you may find beneficial:

For all cars that are configured with the dual chargers, we will provide the 80A wall connector free of charge when it becomes available (late 2014 as a reminder).

Our website is being updated to reflect that now so the HKD $9300 you were expecting to pay for Jeanne’s car will be removed from paperwork at the time you take delivery.

Oh, man, this is great news, I am happy I got the dual chargers, Waidy!

I would SO hope that my estate could manage to get one or more spots enabled for 100A breakers, then the rest of the EV spots could be ... something else, whatever EV Power has to offer (to suit other EVs than Tesla model S). I am thinking of these situations where another Tesla owner comes to visit, and I can let them use my HPWC - instead of a meagre 13A plug. I am definitely going to start working with the management where I live now, to (gently) push for the best solution possible.

Mark, how would your Roadster be able to use a 80A HPWC, is it compatible? Are there any other cars than a Tesla model S that can use the HPWC (at the moment), just thinking that installing that charger will be of no use to Leafs, i3s, BYDs and so on (as far as I know). A flexible charger would be both good and bad: Nice to be able to offer other EV owners a zap, while not so beneficial if the spot(s) are always occupied. So it's probably better to go for more spots, some for Teslas, some Chademo (if possible), and then ... the rest.

But 13A is only going to give you 6km/hr I guess?

Too bad there isn't any 80A 3 phase charger available. Who really get a spare 80A single phase at their home in hk?

Unless supercharger or government's type 2 chargers are ready when I get the car, otherwise, those 1000+ 13A outlet is my only option. I only drive 50km a week, 13A is enough for me.

I guess i need a diesel power generator trailing at the back of the car if i drive back to China...

Mark, what's the power going into your house? 200A ?I have got a 100A into my dad's house, but surely it is not enough for the single phase 80amp charger.

I guess i need a diesel power generator trailing at the back of the car if i drive back to China...

Or a very, very, VERY, long extension cable in the trunk!

I heard of some mentioning bringing a small Honda generator with them for a long trip into areas with limited charging options. Talk about making a range-extender hack!

Remember the later years, how "free WiFi internet" have become more of a standard in hotels, airports, shopping malls and so on? It has become a competitive parameter, so people shopping for hotels more and more often skip the ones without free wifi. Likewise, I can see the same thing happening to charging of EVs in the upcoming years, skipping the places that don't offer charging. Although it won't be so visible in sales yet, I am sure the trend will liken that of the free wifi: If you want business, you better offer charging of EVs (even if against a reasonable fee).

The installation of the 40A Wall connector is completed.

photo 1.JPG