Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink usefullness vs regular garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, I find the integrated home link super convenient. Add my parents house, no need to steal one of their clickers. For $325, an easy upgrade. I’ve purchased rearview mirrors in the past and re-wired the connectors just to add this feature to a car (2018 Volt). Yes it should have come with it, but it didn't. A $325 option on a $50,000+ car is not an expensive option (Just look at Audi, BMW and Mercedes stickers).

Not everyone is on the same page, but for me it’s a must have.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Yep, for that price you can buy a web connected garage door opener.
My Q app notifies me if I've left the garage open.

The auto open and close feature, which is really neat, doesn't work for crap where I am (lots of emi) and because I back into my spot on the left (the home-link transmits out the front). And until I can put a gps pin on where I want the car to be and can say "pull out of the garage" and have it go there, it is more effort than convenience.

That said, auto home-link worked great when we had a loaner for the car that parks forward on the right, but still doesn't recognize "open" or "closed".
Yep, exactly. Costco always has a nice model on sale with WiFi, several remotes, key pad, etc so once we get the car (EDD is still October!) I'll get that and be all set!

Reactions: Tedkidd
Biggest miss is is that you can’t order the Tesla Y with this option. It’s been a factory option on many cars for 10 years or more. My 2010 Audi had it. Our 2013 Toyota Highlander had it off the lot, no service center appt required. For now I’m using my garage door opener that I somehow found in the junk drawer….
Hm... from my perspective Tesla is doing this better. They came right to my house, installed the box and set it up with the garage. I've since added it to a different garage opener, and it's a huge mess to try to get it to work. I'd much prefer the "we install it for you" model to "drive off the lot with an unconfigured device".

• Love
Reactions: Tedkidd
They install it by mobile service. No need to go anywhere.
Hm... from my perspective Tesla is doing this better. They came right to my house, installed the box and set it up with the garage. I've since added it to a different garage opener, and it's a huge mess to try to get it to work. I'd much prefer the "we install it for you" model to "drive off the lot with an unconfigured device".
Ok, well to each there own. Setting this up is no big deal and again, is std feature on other even non luxury cars. I love my Tesla but willing to admit that they have room for improvement. Why would you want someone to come to your house to do that if not needed? And why not just make it an option at order?

Ok, well to each there own. Setting this up is no big deal and again, is std feature on other even non luxury cars. I love my Tesla but willing to admit that they have room for improvement. Why would you want someone to come to your house to do that if not needed? And why not just make it an option at order?
It is not. It literally same price for Jeep to add it when you configure car for example.

That might be that case with Jeep. But it is available with other manufactures. Again, could just be configurable when you order the car and not an add on that needs to be installed at a SC or mobile.
Minor thing to complain about. If you want it you can get it very easy and you get to experience mobile service thing if you don’t want it money stay in your pocket.

I was quite enjoying this thread...it showed what many have said on this thread, "To each his/her own". But these last few posts remind me that humanity has a long way to go..." disgusting mentality" really?? We are talking about a car.

To get back to what the thread is about, I want to cosign Tailwind, and say it works really well...although, the automatic closing is having issues for iPhones since iOS 15

I was quite enjoying this thread...it showed what many have said on this thread, "To each his/her own". But these last few posts remind me that humanity has a long way to go..." disgusting mentality" really?? We are talking about a car.

To get back to what the thread is about, I want to cosign Tailwind, and say it works really well...although, the automatic closing is having issues for iPhones since iOS 15
Sorry, you lost me there. What does iPhone iOS have to do with homelink auto-close and open?

I only ask as I have no issues and latest iOS.