Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Douglux, let me know how things go. Reassuring to hear others have the identical problem. No need to reprogram if you're in a bind. Just do the double scroll bar reboot, and it starts working again (at least temporarily, until the car is left to sit idle for a while). Problem then recurs.

Douglux, let me know how things go. Reassuring to hear others have the identical problem. No need to reprogram if you're in a bind. Just do the double scroll bar reboot, and it starts working again (at least temporarily, until the car is left to sit idle for a while). Problem then recurs.

yup. ill try the soft reboot. hopefully a fix comes soon.

I'm on 17.38 f87c64d5 and I can't get my homelink to work consistently. I program it and it works for a day or two and then it stops working and I have to re-program it. I end up just using my normal opener now

I don't have any LED lights in my garage either.

Our car's open/close has been flakey for almost a year. The problem is that it often doesn't do auto open/close. The icon for the Homelink setting appears, but not the message saying it's going to do it about a third of the time, usually leaving, but sometimes arriving as well. I've tried resetting and reprogramming, no joy. Before that it worked perfectly every time. I mentioned it to the SC and they checked the radio and said it tested fine.

And before we go down the rathole of the car not knowing where it is, it does. The location on the map in the car and in the phone app is very accurate.

So, confirming this is present on 17.38 and wasn't on 17.36. I had exactly as presented above. It worked once, didn't second time (no 'transmittal signal icon'). Rebooted MCU, it worked, didn't again. Rebooted again, fine for one try. Reported by bug report.

No idea if this is what is in 17.38.4, as perhaps this what the branch to .4 is for. I know 17.36 didn't do this, as the car came with it, and I tested it many times while I was programming the door opener! :D

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Will do. We're hoping to receive the latest update any day now. Hopefully we'll get a 2017.38 release or later and skip 2017.36.
David, hopefully you get 17.38.4.... Somehow I got 17.38 within a week of getting the car (and on LTE, no less, it was at the wrappers' all week!). Dunno if that means I'm in that good (bad?) a place on the schedule forever?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Have folks escalated to Tesla? Given the posts here, doesn't seem to be a one off thing...
You all may want to at least do bug reports when Homelink has failed so the car snapshots are sent along with the report, for what that's worth (voice command 'bug report homelink fails repeatedly after one command, needs reboot to reset' sort of thing).

That may give them data if it's not already fixed in 17.38.4.

Our car's open/close has been flakey for almost a year. The problem is that it often doesn't do auto open/close. The icon for the Homelink setting appears, but not the message saying it's going to do it about a third of the time, usually leaving, but sometimes arriving as well. I've tried resetting and reprogramming, no joy. Before that it worked perfectly every time. I mentioned it to the SC and they checked the radio and said it tested fine.

And before we go down the rathole of the car not knowing where it is, it does. The location on the map in the car and in the phone app is very accurate.
You may or may not want to do it now, but since it's been not working for a year: you might want to reprogram the car and the door opener totally. I've read where you can 'fill up' the opener with entries and it will get flaky. Clearing both sides totally and re-adding all remote controls/cars/etc. can help that.

Yesterday (Wednesday 10/4/17) a colleague at work told me that when she left home that afternoon in her Model X her HomeLink had stopped working and had to be re-programmed.

Low and behold, when I got home last night in my own Model X, mine had stopped working too. It still comes up with the name of the garage door, it just doesn't do anything when I press it.

Is this a widespread problem or a weird coincidence?
My homelink used to work 100%. A few weeks ago it just completely stopped working. I believe it was due to a software update but wasn't sure. I figured I'd see more traffic on here regarding the issue -- but didn't. Glad to know it's not just me.

Reactions: Vagus