Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking to back out from my MXLR order after doing extensive readings here, thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking to get a model x a month ago, and did a test drive and also rented from turo for a whole day. I really liked it.
However it was too expensive so I looked elsewhere.
Last week with price cut, i realized i can get it for 72500, I immediately placed the order that night. And now I got a delivery day arranged for tomorrow afternoon. (didn't expect custom order to come in this quickly)

With so much excitement, I started reading many forum posts to prepare myself for it.
And I came across a lot of rather alarming things.

It's not that I didn't do any research upfront. I did read a lot of general review/thoughts on tesla, and model X, youtube and reddit etc.
And I'm prepared for general QC issue, like panel gaps, minor software glitches etc. I like the auto present door on the demo/turo I tried, learning that new MX can only open a inch slowly because of no USS pissed me off but I guess i can live with it.

However, some of the other issues reported really starting to scare me and makes me lose confident in taking the delivery. Major ones so far are:

1. Phantom breaking.
Not really a thing any more. It was problematic a couple of years ago, but it has been a very long time since I have had such an event

2. shaft and tire premature wear.
I never had tire issues with either my 2018 or my 2022. I replaced the half shafts on my 2018 twice. No issue with my 2022
3. loss of power steering. Really scares me,
Bad things CAN happen to any vehicle. But this one is quite rare.
Plus all the horror story of going to service center just to get things not fixed and ignored, or causing more damage.
I am sure some Service Centers have some less than stellar employees. Remember, we're operating with around 3% unemployment. This means Tesla can't be quite as picky as they would like. But most SCs are fine and they want you to be satisfied and not come back. Remember, all the Service Centers are owned by Tesla. Their incentive is keep you out of the shop, unlike traditional dealer service departments motivated to keep you coming back for more.
But these 3 issues look to be foundamental issues that would affect all tesla/model x.
My wife already is not a huge fan of model x, I had to make trade offs to make her accept me ordering one. Plus with recent price cut, future depreciation of the car is not all over the place that I can hardly make a proper estimate, especially if the car turns out to be a lemon and tesla fight really hard to not take it back, I'd have a hard time selling it used without losing a big chuck.

Even though my heart still wants a model x, but the more I read about it, the more my mind tells me this is a stupid purchasing decision that I'm highly likely to regret after the honey moon phase.

Any thoughts?
The vast majority of Tesla owners are very happy with their purchase. My 2018 had far too many service issues. But I was always taken care of completely by my local SC. Tesla gave me a crazy good trade-in for 2018, and I bought a 2022. I had a wheel alignment performed just after delivery. But have not been back since, after fifteen months.

Thanks all. I eventually took the car.
some front windshield distortion, and interior trim misalignment, otherwise it's pretty decent.
Now I just need to figure out a way to get my wife over hating it lol

If you have kids don’t show them the emission mode (don’t show her either). She probably won’t find that entertaining;)

Honestly it’s one of the most under stated luxury SUVs while the doors are closed. Half the nation can’t tell the 3, Y and X apart. Don’t obsess over it it’s a car. She will or won’t come around. It’s not a bad car. Don’t ask her to pick you up if when it gets dropped off for service. Get it aligned, keep it aligned. Don’t let it auto lower as it will accurate inner rear tire wear. But lower is better for front axles. Don’t drive like Mario Andretti with her in the car unless she likes it. I have unintentionally tapped the gas pedal just a little to much several times while my wife was taking a drink of coffee. Don’t do that! Offer to more errands for her just to drive your car.

Now I just need to figure out a way to get my wife over hating it lol
That can be tough. One of my friend faced the same issue where his wife didn't like the Model 3 as much. She hates every min of it. Mainly, she does not know how to operate it and it is not like a traditional car from what I heard. All in all, my friend ended up getting rid of the car and back to ICE. I think, it is one of those thing that once a person does not like something regardless of a reason. It's very difficult to change their mind, while some can. Anyway, I hope you figure out a way for your wife to liking the your new X. Perhaps, let her drive/use it more often?

One of the big reasons I opted to get a Model X was the fact it's so much more rare than a 3 or Y. If you are going to drive a Tesla would you rather have the same as everyone else, or a more rare model? Albeit with it's own issues and quirks (Get the Macsboost camber plates!). Loving it.

One of the big reasons I opted to get a Model X was the fact it's so much more rare than a 3 or Y. If you are going to drive a Tesla would you rather have the same as everyone else, or a more rare model? Albeit with it's own issues and quirks (Get the Macsboost camber plates!). Loving it.
Depends where you are. They're more common than minivans in my neighborhood. From the neighbors I can see from my home, 1 plaid x, 3 refresh x, 2 3s, 2 Ys. Family heavy area and it's the biggest easily accessible EV.

That can be tough. One of my friend faced the same issue where his wife didn't like the Model 3 as much. She hates every min of it. Mainly, she does not know how to operate it and it is not like a traditional car from what I heard. All in all, my friend ended up getting rid of the car and back to ICE. I think, it is one of those thing that once a person does not like something regardless of a reason. It's very difficult to change their mind, while some can. Anyway, I hope you figure out a way for your wife to liking the your new X. Perhaps, let her drive/use it more often?
I have a 50/50 chance of going back to ICE despite I just got the car not long ago.

Wife pretty much just like your friend's. Hate almost everything of the X. Hate the touchscreen, hate how it can't turn off passenger air, hate how touch screen works, even hate that the navigation shows destination in grey, hard to see when on satellite map mode. and lack of creep mode, ability to adjust regen breaking etc (not safe according to her). I can go on and on forever.

It's really hard when one hates something, as then it's very easy to find every little thing to hate it on, and she straight refusing to every drive that car.

It's unfortunate but I don't want to blame her, i'm in a similar camp just a few months ago, mocking tesla for all the questionable design choice.

It just make me realize, again, that people are not rational, despite they want to think they are. All the logic are there to make their mind whole. They form opinion, and then try to find all the "logic/evidence" they can to support their opinion. And my liking of X is similarly irrational lol. It's really because I like it, that makes me overlook a huge number of issue with the car and the manufacture.

Man do we have similar wifes lol. My wife hates it and won't drive it. She hates the wing doors because she feels it's too much of a show-off and doesn't like the attention. She dislikes how it rides and hates FSD with a passion. I feel sad to say but I might have to eventually sell this

Guys, sorry to hear that. My wife on the other hand. I have to tell her to stay away from my MXP. She has the Mercedes AMG GLE. She wants to use my car every chance she can :) I do like drive her car every once in a while. As far as issues with different things with Tesla in general; yes, they do have some issues. Some issue is Tesla specific and some issues occur with any brand of car. There is also many remarks about Tesla car, but my take is. Tesla did change many ways of doing thing that we are all used to. It is a new way of doing thing. This is where many people dislike. I am always up to new way of doing thing. With many changes in 2023 MXP, it is taking me sometime to get comfortable with. Bottom line is; if someone does not like change as much, then it can be hard to like Tesla and that is just one example in life :p Good like to all and make your spouse happy...

What's so funny is my wife is the opposite. When we first got her the MY she was scared and hated it. She previously had a BMW X5 and BMW X4. Two years later, she refuses to driving anything other than a Tesla. Now here we are waiting on a MX... lol...

Reactions: jboy210