Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging - What do I need to do/buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use an adapter like this -
NEMA 14-50R to L6-30P Twist-Lock Adapter

But you would need to ensure that you set the current in the car to 24A before using it (80% of 30A). You would also need to find the appropriate extension cord.

thanks but...i'm getting conflicting answers. do i really need to buy a 30 amp plug/adapter to charge at 30 amp/220v? some say this "magic" adapter tells the car to only charge at 24A or 30A and not more? or if i use ANY plug and 30A/220V will the car computer figure out what amperage is being supplied

thanks but...i'm getting conflicting answers. do i really need to buy a 30 amp plug/adapter to charge at 30 amp/220v? some say this "magic" adapter tells the car to only charge at 24A or 30A and not more? or if i use ANY plug and 30A/220V will the car computer figure out what amperage is being supplied
I think you got a clear message in the extension cord thread where you asked the same question.

The included charging cord automatically adjusts the amps it will draw based on the adapter plugged in the end of it.

You can cheat and use 3rd party or home built adaptors on the included 14-50 plug. But then you must manually adjust the amps from the center console.

Let’s say you build an extension cord that goes from your 30a receptical. You use a 30a plug that matches your house on one end and a 14-50 on the other. Then you plug in the included charge cord.

1. Car will start ramping up the cutter consumer.

2. If it detects a significant voltage reduction as the current draw goes up. It will automatically reduce the voltage.

3. However, in doing this it is going over the rating for your 30a cord, breaker, in wall wiring, etc. you may be safe. Your house may burn down.

If your house burns down, the fire inspector will see you used incorrect plugs and you will have s lot of explaining to do.

• Helpful
Reactions: igotzzoom
It's probably worth mentioning that adding a cord to an HPWC is not a code compliant installation. NEC does not allow EVSE's to have a cord >1 foot. It also states that equipment must be installed per manufacturer's instructions, and Tesla's states the HPWC must be hardwired.

Not preaching, just stating info. Do with it what you will.

• Helpful
Reactions: insaneoctane
I went with a Tesla wall charger and love it. It is brain less. It's always there and ready to go. Plus it just looks cool. Keeps my wife and myself (dual Tesla family) from ever having to think about charging. We always have what we need in the car and at the house. Really saved my butt a couple weeks ago when I needed the only charger at a hotel and it was being used by a Volt. Luckily I only needed about 40 miles and was able to find a 5/20 outlet on the side of the hotel. I pulled out my UMC and adaptor and was good to go. Woke up to a 100% charge.

My setup below.

Have a 14/50 outlet installed by a professional. Tell them it's for a welder but give them the install instructions from the Tesla website for wiring standards (just read them to them - Don't actually hand them the Tesla branded instructions). Don't tell them it's for a Tesla until you have a price. Once you say Tesla the install suddenly is $100-$250 more expensive (in some instances).

Purchase a Tesla Wall Charger.

Purchase a 6' standard range cord from Home Depot.

Hardwire the range cord to the Tesla wall charger and set dip switches on charger to charge at 40amps while doing so. If this is not your thing have your electrician do it. It is real simple though. Give instructions to your installer to ensure they do it right.

Mount Tesla Wall charger on the wall within 3' of 14/50 outlet and plug it in.

Keep UMC in car at all times with all adaptors

If Tesla Wall charger takes a crap you have your UMC as backup. Just unplug your wall charger and plug in your UMC with the 14/50 adaptor and your money.

If you move... Just unplug your wall charger, unsrew it from wall, and throw in a box.

If you only rely on your UMC and your UMC takes a crap you are up ships creek unless you have a Tesla store nearby. Even then, you'll have to hustle over to the store to get a replacement which might be in a PIA.

View attachment 239348
Thanks!!! I purchased the wall charger. Electrician is coming Tuesday to do whatever for $450. Something to do with 240