Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging - What do I need to do/buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with a Tesla wall charger and love it. It is brain less. It's always there and ready to go. Plus it just looks cool. Keeps my wife and myself (dual Tesla family) from ever having to think about charging. We always have what we need in the car and at the house. Really saved my butt a couple weeks ago when I needed the only charger at a hotel and it was being used by a Volt. Luckily I only needed about 40 miles and was able to find a 5/20 outlet on the side of the hotel. I pulled out my UMC and adaptor and was good to go. Woke up to a 100% charge.

My setup below.

Have a 14/50 outlet installed by a professional. Tell them it's for a welder but give them the install instructions from the Tesla website for wiring standards (just read them to them - Don't actually hand them the Tesla branded instructions). Don't tell them it's for a Tesla until you have a price. Once you say Tesla the install suddenly is $100-$250 more expensive (in some instances).

Purchase a Tesla Wall Charger.

Purchase a 6' standard range cord from Home Depot.

Hardwire the range cord to the Tesla wall charger and set dip switches on charger to charge at 40amps while doing so. If this is not your thing have your electrician do it. It is real simple though. Give instructions to your installer to ensure they do it right.

Mount Tesla Wall charger on the wall within 3' of 14/50 outlet and plug it in.

Keep UMC in car at all times with all adaptors

If Tesla Wall charger takes a crap you have your UMC as backup. Just unplug your wall charger and plug in your UMC with the 14/50 adaptor and your money.

If you move... Just unplug your wall charger, unsrew it from wall, and throw in a box.

If you only rely on your UMC and your UMC takes a crap you are up ships creek unless you have a Tesla store nearby. Even then, you'll have to hustle over to the store to get a replacement which might be in a PIA.

IMG_2761.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, however I can't buy the 10-30 adapter on that page.(still I can buy the 5-15, 14-50 and 5-20 but not the rest)
have you tried to add the adapter to your cart?

As far as I know they don't sell the 10-30 adapter since more than a year ago, perhaps this is just an option on the webpage that wasn't removed or maybe they don't have inventory at this time.
As others mentioned, I think that was a temporary glitch. I recall the time you're mentioning when you couldn't by an adapter for a 30-amp circuit, however they started selling the 14-30 adapter again maybe a year ago and I think the 10-30 followed. I can attest I bought a 14-30 adapter after they had previously disappeared.

As others mentioned, I think that was a temporary glitch. I recall the time you're mentioning when you couldn't by an adapter for a 30-amp circuit, however they started selling the 14-30 adapter again maybe a year ago and I think the 10-30 followed. I can attest I bought a 14-30 adapter after they had previously disappeared.
Yes it was a glitch, I can now order both the 10-30 and the 14-30.

I forgot to mention that you'll need to "fiddle" with the charge settings on your car since Tesla doesn't sell a 10-30 adapter the car wont limit the current to 24A automatically.
Anyways you'll need to change the settings only one (or sometimes more depending on the SW update)

just got my New X and don't even know how to post a new question on this site?

NEED EXPERT ELECTRICAL ADVICE

I'm trying to rig a 100' extension cord FOR OCCASIONAL EMERGENCY USE. i have a 220v /30A outlet on the outside of my house. 3 pin twist lock type. BUT the tesla cord either has a FOUR PIN 240v plug or whatever is left when NO adapters are used.

how do i get from a 3pin (with conduit as ground) to 4 pin to use this extension cord???

How short is your commute? If you are home 8 or 9 hours a night, you can get 30 or so miles daily on just the 120 and be ready to go in the morning.

I'm trying to rig a 100' extension cord FOR OCCASIONAL EMERGENCY USE. i have a 220v /30A outlet on the outside of my house. 3 pin twist lock type. BUT the tesla cord either has a FOUR PIN 240v plug or whatever is left when NO adapters are used.

how do i get from a 3pin (with conduit as ground) to 4 pin to use this extension cord???

You can use an adapter like this -
NEMA 14-50R to L6-30P Twist-Lock Adapter

But you would need to ensure that you set the current in the car to 24A before using it (80% of 30A). You would also need to find the appropriate extension cord.

A 100 foot extension cord? If you have a charging emergency, better to go on Plugshare and find a charging station in your city to use.
If you're able to park next to the outlet in an "emergency", have an electrician change the outlet to a NEMA 14-30, then you can use the 14-30 adapter that you can buy from Tesla for the UMC. It just plugs in directly and sets the correct amps. Anything else and you're looking for trouble.

I have a sub-panel in my garage that is used for 2 solar inverters. I am in California. Anyone know if I will be able to use this to have a 14-50 outlet installed?

Alternatively, I have 2 220v outlets for my dryer and (something else I guess). I can get some kind of adapter to use this while I figure out the rest? I need semi fast charging as my commute is about 85 miles a day.

I have a sub-panel in my garage that is used for 2 solar inverters. I am in California. Anyone know if I will be able to use this to have a 14-50 outlet installed?

Alternatively, I have 2 220v outlets for my dryer and (something else I guess). I can get some kind of adapter to use this while I figure out the rest? I need semi fast charging as my commute is about 85 miles a day.
It would be wise to ask an electrician about tapping into the sub-panel. If it is possible, it would be inexpensive.

If the other outlets match one of these -

Model S/X NEMA Adapters

It’s as simple as purchasing the right one.

I'm debating between staying with the 120V outlet, installing a 14-50
My suggestion:
1) Good 240 v home charging is a drastically improved experience. Don't underestimate the 'full tank every morning' experience. You just stop thinking about range altogether other than in the craziest trips.
2) Don't rush the decision. See where you park, etc and get it done when your patterns stabilize.
3) For a multi-ev setup, I suggest getting the 40A UMC from Tesla if you want more juice, or keeping the one that comes with M3 for a slower 30 A experience, and then get one of QuickChargePower's JDAPTER (never used this one myself, but I did get a JESLA and their product and customer support was A+++).
Note, that is not as nice as having two daisy chained wall connectors that can share power, but is massively cheaper.
You could still use 2xWC and one with Jdapter.
I think the exchangeable plugs of the UMC is a nifty feature that I've used only 3 or 4 times, but then, those times it was important I could use it. If I were you I'd only choose between the 32 A and 40 A MC's once you have experience, as this will dictate which adapters to stock up on. Probably I'd do that on the newer adapters but I already have "one of each" in the older-style 40A UMC.

Isn't it now known that the Long Range M3 has a 48A charger? I had my electrician install a HPWC: 6 ga. copper, 85 ft. run, 60A breaker. He ran individual wires through conduit because he felt a cable would sweat. At first he was only going to run 2 hots and a ground, since the HPWC doesn't need a neutral, but I got him to run the neutral too if I ever wanted to convert to a 14-50 plug with 50A breaker. The neutral is just capped off. HPWC set to 48A. He was thinking the wires could become luke warm at 48A, so if that is the case, I will probably dial it back to 40A. Now all I need is a car.

He was thinking the wires could become luke warm at 48A, so if that is the case, I will probably dial it back to 40A.

I am no electrician but from what I recall from reading on this forum you can draw 80% of the breaker's capability. That is why you charge at 40amps off a 50amp breaker and 80amps off a 100amp breaker. So if you are wired for 60amps (which you should be since you used an electrician) then you should have NO PROBLEM charging at 48amps. My conduit gets warm but not hot and has worked perfectly since day one. I would charge at 48amps if I was you but always consult an electrician for confirmation. Since you used an electrician you technically already have and should be good to go.

Last edited:
I am no electrician but from what I recall from reading on this forum you can draw 20% of the breaker's capability. That is why you charge at 40amps off a 50amp breaker and 80amps off a 100amp breaker. So if you are wired for 60amps (which you should be since you used an electrician then you should have NO PROBLEM charging at 48amps. My conduit gets warm but not hot and has worked perfectly since day one. I would charge at 48amps if I was you but always consult an electrician for confirmation. Since you used an electrician you technically already have and should be good to go.
Above is true. I believe you accidentally reversed and said 20% (the amount to reduce) with 80% (the amount allowed).

But in the OPs case, they have a outlet/plug in the circuit. The outlet/plug is rated at 50A, so 40A is the max for this particular case. Always the weakest link in the chain. Hopefully they have a 50A breaker due to the outlet/plug.

@Racerx22b I really like your setup! One question. Is the 14-50 cord and plug a hack, or is that how they come? I thought the UWC was hard-wired. I was considering getting the UMC with the 14-50 plug, and just having a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. Like you said, if you ever move, you just un-plug it and take it with you. Yeah, I've heard about a lot of electricians charging a "Tesla premium." What if you tell them it's just for an EV generally? Anyone have any experiences?

@Racerx22b I really like your setup! One question. Is the 14-50 cord and plug a hack, or is that how they come? I thought the UWC was hard-wired. I was considering getting the UMC with the 14-50 plug, and just having a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage.
The U in UMC stands for Universal, which means it's not hard wired! It takes adapter plugs-- either the 5-15 or 14-50 adapter plug that comes with it, or one of the less common adapter plugs that you can buy off the Tesla web site like 5-20, 14-30, etc.

You may be thinking of the newer Corded Mobile Connector, sometimes referred to here as the non-universal mobile connector. That has a hard-wired 14-50 plug. That's not what you get with the car, you get a UMC and adapters mentioned above, but you can buy it from the Tesla web site. Not sure why anyone would though.

The U in UMC stands for Universal, which means it's not hard wired! It takes adapter plugs-- either the 5-15 or 14-50 adapter plug that comes with it, or one of the less common adapter plugs that you can buy off the Tesla web site like 5-20, 14-30, etc.

You may be thinking of the newer Corded Mobile Connector, sometimes referred to here as the non-universal mobile connector. That has a hard-wired 14-50 plug. That's not what you get with the car, you get a UMC and adapters mentioned above, but you can buy it from the Tesla web site. Not sure why anyone would though.

The reason Tesla made the hardwired 14-50 plug MC was for its use in a covered outdoor 14-50 receptacle. Being relatively flat plugged in allows the waterproof door to close on the receptacle with the cord plugged in. The ‘standard’ UMC with the 14-50 adapter sticks out to far for the door to close.

• Informative
Reactions: gregd and TexasEV