Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holster mounting options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how I had it in the 4Runner. It's nice to have your firearm at your side, but on longer trips a draw from there in an emergency is not going to happen, this kept things accessible and secured.

Attachments

• 4runner-holster.jpg
    4runner-holster.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,604
I love this topic -- not so much because I care about the topic, but because I can hear the collective gasp from the California contingent. I suspect the only reason there has been no reaction is because it is April 1 and they are not entirely sure if you are kidding...

Why would it be so surprising that people can love Tesla's and their right to self defense at the same time? Not all people who carry weapons are conservative fringe elements, ;-)

I love this topic -- not so much because I care about the topic, but because I can hear the collective gasp from the California contingent. I suspect the only reason there has been no reaction is because it is April 1 and they are not entirely sure if you are kidding...

Someone's been feeding you tales about Californians if you think we're all tree-hugging, pot-smoking, pacifist, Birkenstock-wearing, Berkeley, guitar-playing, liberal hippies. (I fit some but not all of those categories.)

Back on topic, I think this is an interesting discussion from a technical perspective, even if I cannot envision owning a firearm myself, or wanting to keep one in my vehicle. OP, this subject has come up on TMC before, have you tried searching the forums?

Bruce.

Why would it be so surprising that people can love Tesla's and their right to self defense at the same time? Not all people who carry weapons are conservative fringe elements, ;-)
I don't find it surprising at all, I think too many people try to pigeon hole others into a category, which isn't always so easy, "it's complicated" is a reasonable answer but not everybody knows how to deal with it.

As an engineer I see a gun as any other precision tool (no much more dangerous than a saw or hammer) which is why I consider this fascination with "carrying" open or otherwise to be strange. I like my miter saw but I don't need to have it on me at all times, the same goes for my ratchet set or Wera driver (though those would be handy to have all the time), but by the same token I always (save for airplanes) carry a full size Swiss army knife, which I mainly use to open boxes, beer, and sometimes electronics, though that is considered a weapon by some (I think of it as a tool, but hey). I guess it's just a question of degree, I feel unprepared without my multitool others can't live without their Glock. All I can add is just keep it away from the kids, to many bad things happen due to unsecured weapons.

I don't find it surprising at all, I think too many people try to pigeon hole others into a category, which isn't always so easy, "it's complicated" is a reasonable answer but not everybody knows how to deal with it.

As an engineer I see a gun as any other precision tool (no much more dangerous than a saw or hammer) which is why I consider this fascination with "carrying" open or otherwise to be strange. I like my miter saw but I don't need to have it on me at all times, the same goes for my ratchet set or Wera driver (though those would be handy to have all the time), but by the same token I always (save for airplanes) carry a full size Swiss army knife, which I mainly use to open boxes, beer, and sometimes electronics, though that is considered a weapon by some (I think of it as a tool, but hey). I guess it's just a question of degree, I feel unprepared without my multitool others can't live without their Glock. All I can add is just keep it away from the kids, to many bad things happen due to unsecured weapons.

Fortunately, my kids are grown (my son got his carry permit for his 21st birthday only after he completed a safety course). I have concealed carry for many years, especially as I got older and realized I couldn't defend myself like I used to. As you pointed out, guns are tools like any other. Anyone who plans to carry or use one, should be properly trained in the safe use of that tool. My weapons are always secured in a biometric safe.

Securing it properly in the car is important and would love to hear what solutions people have come up with.

All I can add is just keep it away from the kids, to many bad things happen due to unsecured weapons.

I don't keep them away from my kids, they are 7,7 and 10 and go shooting with me on occasion, I feel it's best they understand how firearms work and how to safely handle them. They also know not to touch firearms if they encounter one and have been 'tested' regularly by leaving (safe and unloaded) firearms out under surpervised conditions to gauge their responses and actions.

Yup, I'm a gun nut and drive an electric car, I thought about mounting a gun rack in the back to blow Prius drivers' minds... :p I also grew up in California but escaped.

I'm thinking maybe the best option would be a 3M adhesive mounted holster somewhere, maybe something inside the center console would work, but I'd hate to lose the usable cupholder space...

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
  • Informative
Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Someone's been feeding you tales about Californians if you think we're all tree-hugging, pot-smoking, pacifist, Birkenstock-wearing, Berkeley, guitar-playing, liberal hippies. (I fit some but not all of those categories.)

Right: you're not from Berkeley! ;-)

Actually I got all three of my degrees from UC Berkeley and I work at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. But I never tried smoking anything, I'm a bit of a hawk, and not old enough to be a hippie. :)

Dumb question about the Velcro holster: Every place I've used Velcro I get little bits of threads and fibers all over the place. Isn't that going to do bad things to whatever firearm you put in the holster?

Bruce.

Dumb question about the Velcro holster: Every place I've used Velcro I get little bits of threads and fibers all over the place. Isn't that going to do bad things to whatever firearm you put in the holster?

The Velcro is on the outside of the holster, and the pistol is on the inside, so any small debris from the Velcro falls away, not on the gun. That has been my experience, anyway.