Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hold Steering Wheel" - What's the purpose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Message seems to come randomly. Sometimes it appears although car sees lines well, on the other hand, sometimes car plays ping pong between lines and still no message.

That's my impression as well. It makes no sense to nag me when the car is doing perfectly fine. But when it's clear that the car has major problems reading the road and drives worse than a drunk, there's no warnings at all.

Almost any time the car asks me to hold the wheel, it's going around a curve. There have been times when I was confused as to why the car needed help, on a straight road with good markings, but this seems to be happening less frequently. There have also been times that I've gone around a curve which I was pretty sure would trigger the warning, but the car handled just fine without any request to hold the wheel. The autopilot also seems to be handling curves somewhat better than it used to. Overall, I've been very happy with the autopilot performance and while I'm not 100% certain of what triggers the warning to hold the wheel, I am 100% certain that it's not any sort of regularly timed nag feature.