Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hmmm ... no Chademo adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Model 3 reservation holder, my interest in the Chademo adapter is mostly as a safety net. With more than 500,000 Model 3s coming online, SC access (especially in certain areas - I'm looking at you California) may become difficult. If I am on a road trip and there is an hour long wait at a SC, if I have a Chademo adapter I can drive 10-20 miles down the road and charge at a pretty good clip at a fast DC charger. Not very many Model 3 owners will have the adapter (unless compatibility is built into the port).

Reactions: Dave EV
As a Model 3 reservation holder, my interest in the Chademo adapter is mostly as a safety net. With more than 500,000 Model 3s coming online, SC access (especially in certain areas - I'm looking at you California) may become difficult. If I am on a road trip and there is an hour long wait at a SC, if I have a Chademo adapter I can drive 10-20 miles down the road and charge at a pretty good clip at a fast DC charger. Not very many Model 3 owners will have the adapter (unless compatibility is built into the port).

By the time there are 500k model 3s on the road, you can probably drive 10-20 miles down to the next Supercharger and charge there instead, and the car will probably be routing you to avoid predicted waits at Superchargers.

However, I agree with your basic point - it's always good to have options, and I bought a CHAdeMO adapter myself that I think I used four times in the last year.

Japanese market aside...

The supercharger network is expanding quickly, including in china.

Chademo, at least in the US, does not seem to be growing at a good pace, if at all. What does exist is poorly maintained.

CCS is also a fast growing standard with serious build out happening, particularly in Europe.

I would not be surprised to see chademo become a Japan market only thing for tesla.

Reactions: SageBrush
Various people keep bringing this up (even with Elon), such as Trevor of M3OC, with no response. Which is weird. I wonder if there's something about the 2170 batteries? Makes no sense, but the chademo adapter has been used for years with the original batteries (I have one for emergencies), and I can't see a good reason for those who travel (with a Model 3) where coverage is weak to not be able to use one.

I just drove 3000 miles on a road trip through the Western US National Parks. Never had a need or desire for CHAdeMO or CCS, despite being in some pretty remote areas without even cell coverage. There are plenty of level 2s, Nema 14-50s and regular outlets to fill the need. I was sure I was going to buy a CHAdeMO adapter but now am glad I didn't. YMMV.

I just drove 3000 miles on a road trip through the Western US National Parks. Never had a need or desire for CHAdeMO or CCS, despite being in some pretty remote areas without even cell coverage. There are plenty of level 2s, Nema 14-50s and regular outlets to fill the need. I was sure I was going to buy a CHAdeMO adapter but now am glad I didn't. YMMV.
Yep. ChadeMo is pretty much useless for me too at this point. If the paid for by VW network ever gets built in areas without Superchargers my opinion might change but I frankly doubt that ever happening.

Same here. My company has ChargePoint stations in the parking garage. The two DC fast chargers have CHAdeMO adapters tied to the cables (so they don't walk away). I understand that both S and X vehicles are able to use them but not the 3 yet. We get 1.25 hours of free charging on those or 4 hours on the level 2 stations. Would be more efficient to use the DC fast spots for the many Teslas that are at the company. There's at least 4 Model 3s now, including mine. I was told by some people here back in January that CHAdeMO support is forthcoming via an OTA update but so far, nada.

Last edited:
Reactions: ord3r
My WAG is that the existing adapter would work with M3 but Tesla didn't want to sell to M3 customers yet, as they have compatibility issues with some chargers and they are not able to fix them. At Japan launch Tesla would want to support +100kW support on CHAdeMO, so the new one is under development with fixes to current issues.

Reactions: ord3r
I happened to finally get a chance to test mine at the new EVgo station in NoVa last weekend and it worked flawlessly on my X. (45 kW for a few minutes to be sure it was working properly.)

I still think the 3’a issue is just software priority. Look how long WiFi and Summon took which you’d think would be some of the first things to be done for parity!

Reactions: gambit48