Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a curb while parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit a curb while parking. While it does not look very bad, I was wondering if I can do anything to mitigate it. Since its been only a week I am kicking myself for it.

Attachments

• Wheel.jpeg
    Wheel.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 54
Haven't inspected closely. I believe so. Its a MY RWD.
Gemini wheel covers like the OP has do not protect the outer edge of the rim, he/she has scratched the rim (like millions of car owners, not just Tesla). You can have it fixed by a local rim shop, not that expensive - here's some near you THE BEST 10 Wheel & Rim Repair near MORGANVILLE, MARLBORO, NJ - Services & Professionals - Last Updated January 2024 - Yelp .

Or you can buy aftermarket wheel covers, many like mine do cover the entire rim, mine were just over $250 and I didn't like the Gemini covers anyway. If it bothers you a lot, fixes aren't that expensive (compared to the car).

I hit a curb while parking. While it does not look very bad, I was wondering if I can do anything to mitigate it. Since its been only a week I am kicking myself for it.
Covers are a dime a dozen and very inexpensive 2nd hand. Posted a set of 4 that came off my wife’s MYLR for $40 (all 4) since September with no bites. Unfortunately your damage is definitely the rim.

Few options id consider:
1. Leave it (easy to say because it’s not my car)
2. Replace them with different wheel covers. Amazon sells a set for around $100. They come in different styles, all black, etc.
3. Pay someone $50 to fix it (California prices)
4. Fix it yourself. I did with my MYP Uberturbine wheels. It was a pain for mine to sand and match accurately but it worked out in the end for me. Your silver should be MUCH easier to correct. You’d need $7 sanding pads from Temu, a can $10 can of spray paint (they make specific rim paint to match manufacturers) and some patience and elbow grease. If you go this route do some YouTubing and search TMC.

In the end, the longer you wait the less important it will be. I’d “sleep on it” how a while before deciding.

Good luck

Reactions: El joe and ven7782
Covers are a dime a dozen and very inexpensive 2nd hand. Posted a set of 4 that came off my wife’s MYLR for $40 (all 4) since September with no bites. Unfortunately your damage is definitely the rim.

Few options id consider:
1. Leave it (easy to say because it’s not my car)
2. Replace them with different wheel covers. Amazon sells a set for around $100. They come in different styles, all black, etc.
3. Pay someone $50 to fix it (California prices)
4. Fix it yourself. I did with my MYP Uberturbine wheels. It was a pain for mine to sand and match accurately but it worked out in the end for me. Your silver should be MUCH easier to correct. You’d need $7 sanding pads from Temu, a can $10 can of spray paint (they make specific rim paint to match manufacturers) and some patience and elbow grease. If you go this route do some YouTubing and search TMC.

In the end, the longer you wait the less important it will be. I’d “sleep on it” how a while before deciding.

Good luck
5. Sharpie Professional It

Pah! that's nothing!

Just wait another month or so. These wheels are pretty much self-kerbing. I took a huge chunk out of mine when leaving the library

You'll get used to it

1704382446785.png

Last edited:
Between my wife and I both hitting curbs over the last 2 years, I have given up fixing them. I used to use different small files to smooth out the metal, then wet sand it then mix metallic paint and brush it on. Look fine unless you were 12" away. Maybe I will do that again when the weather warms up.

If it's not that bad, and from your photo it doesn't look that bad, this should work nicely:

1. Home Depot. Buy 3M emery cloth assorted 3 pack.

2. Sand carefully with medium grit to smooth things out. Then use fine to finish.

3. For Gemini wheels, head to Amazon: Get Dupli-Color AFM0341 Scratch Fix All-In-1 Exact-Match Automotive Touch-Up Paint – Ford Silver Frost Paint Pen. This has clear coat mixed in.

Don't know about the Sharpie but I figure the paint pen will fill it in and smooth it more. If you really want to, wet sand the paint with 800 or higher 3M sandpaper. Don't use Chinese junk for any of this.

After that, I doubt you'l be able to see your fix unless you get on your hands and knees.

If it's not that bad, and from your photo it doesn't look that bad, this should work nicely:

1. Home Depot. Buy 3M emery cloth assorted 3 pack.

2. Sand carefully with medium grit to smooth things out. Then use fine to finish.

3. For Gemini wheels, head to Amazon: Get Dupli-Color AFM0341 Scratch Fix All-In-1 Exact-Match Automotive Touch-Up Paint – Ford Silver Frost Paint Pen. This has clear coat mixed in.

Don't know about the Sharpie but I figure the paint pen will fill it in and smooth it more. If you really want to, wet sand the paint with 800 or higher 3M sandpaper. Don't use Chinese junk for any of this.

After that, I doubt you'l be able to see your fix unless you get on your hands and knees.
Sharpie Pro is amazing