Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caster measurements consistent with collision/accident + alignment weirdness in general

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car aligned multiple times at several different shops (Tesla, Firestone in TX and VA, and a specialty alignment shop in the DMV area).
The first time, the Firestone tech from TX asked me if I was in a collision, since my car's measurements were really strange.
Tesla and the VA Firestone never pointed this out.
When I took my vehicle to the specialty alignment shop in the DMV, the shop employee said that my car's *caster* measurements were too different. He asked me if I had ever hit a curb, and I said that the most was maybe a 3 mph curb in a parking lot. He said no, that wouldn't do it, that I would need to hit a curb at 40 mph for the measurements he saw.

What gives? I don't notice anything especially off with the way my vehicle drives. I've never been in a collision or hit a curb that fast.

Unfortunately, I don't have any measurements, but it's odd that two different shops have asked me the same thing: if I've ever been in a collision.

My vehicle is a 2023 model 3 RWD with 20.5k miles. I'll probably take my car in for an alignment through Tesla again next year, and just to verify the general health of my suspension components. I guess I'll let them know of the observations previous shops have made.

How much is the difference? I have a 1.5 degree caster difference left to right due to bad manufacturing. I fixed it by UP FUCA, but it generally means car frame is somewhat crooked and mounting points are shifted.

Without caster adjustable FUCA you cant do much - half degree only by shifting top mounts within mounting holes as per manual.

Reactions: fredjan
How much is the difference? I have a 1.5 degree caster difference left to right due to bad manufacturing. I fixed it by UP FUCA, but it generally means car frame is somewhat crooked and mounting points are shifted.

Without caster adjustable FUCA you cant do much - half degree only by shifting top mounts within mounting holes as per manual.
I don't have the numbers - I just know that they're off compared to normal tesla model 3 specs.

Yeah, too bad these things cannot be adjusted. I honestly don't know what would improve if I ever got them fixed. Most likely, I'll just wait until my vehicle needs a suspension replacement and then get some adjustable control arms.