Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit curb, bent rim, vibrates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Las Vegas I hit a curb around 30-40 mph, at local street speeds. It was like a curb divider that was thin. In Las Vegas, their local roads seem to like putting super thin curbs on their streets to force you into this lane for left turns. I don't see how it's a great idea, it's just feels like a road hazard waiting to damage your car. It be better if they simply used lines or maybe large bumps if they must have some kind of divider, but not small tiny curbs that come out of nowhere.

But anyways I hit this curb and it bent my rim. I got my rim fixed, first time the shop didn't do a perfect job so he said to come again. I came again and he improved the wheel job for free. But there is still some vibration. He said it likely needs a wheel alignment. Which I'm going to do. I hope it fixes it, but Tesla will not confirm if that will fix the problem of the vibration I feel. I feel the 2nd fix on my rim improved the vibrating wheel significantly, but when I touch the wheel at 80 mph I may still feel some vibration.

I don't know if I must replace suspension or do some more expensive repair.

It must be holding air and I assume the shop balanced the wheel. So it's seems an alignment should be done. If all that doesn't work, replace the wheel and see if vibrations are gone.

I'll try the alignment see if it does fix the problem.

I believe that wheel shop did balance the wheel because they added weights to the wheel. And also got rid of this weld mark that used to be there. I rather not get a new rim but if it's absolutely necessary I may do it. I'll be okay to get a used rim as long as it fixes the problem.

The wheel shop person told me I may need an alignment. And he was kind of right, I got a free alignment check and some numbers were "red" and just tire said my wheels are not aligned. No one will guarantee the vibration be gone, but they said my car can use one.

Reactions: zoomer0056
If you're a victim of curb rash, you'd better have a set of wheel covers.
They can cover your wheel rim fully and protect your wheel rim from curb rash, much better if you were to pay a fortune to have your wheels repaired.

342452309_923356288878467_4530677186244012027_n.jpg

Reactions: easyev
I'll try the alignment see if it does fix the problem.

I believe that wheel shop did balance the wheel because they added weights to the wheel. And also got rid of this weld mark that used to be there. I rather not get a new rim but if it's absolutely necessary I may do it. I'll be okay to get a used rim as long as it fixes the problem.

The wheel shop person told me I may need an alignment. And he was kind of right, I got a free alignment check and some numbers were "red" and just tire said my wheels are not aligned. No one will guarantee the vibration be gone, but they said my car can use one.
It probably needs an alignment, since you hit something solid. But an alignment typically does not affect a vibration in the steering wheel. That is usually a wheel out of balance or out of round. Or a tire damaged or out of round.

All alignment checks will show red. You may or may not need one. I highly doubt that will fix your vibration. You can get an alignment, go back to a dealer, get a "Free" alignment check in their service bay, and chances are it'll show something needs adjustment. That's how they sell alignments - very tight tolerances on the check machines. You may have also needed an alignment before you got it checked (Tesla factory alignments aren't great), so that could also be why it showed "red."

You may need a road force balance to account for the tweaked wheel (They can never be fixed 100% true), or a new wheel entirely. There is a point where standard balancing can't balance out a bent wheel, and road forcing it can help. But if you need road force balancing just to have a smooth ride, you probably should get a new wheel.

Last option: Maybe the rim repair shop just did a crappy balance job, and you just need another shop to do a basic balance on the wheel. You'd be surprised how easily techs screw up Balancing 101.

Well I just did my wheel alignment and now the Tesla feels the way it should be.

Maybe it wasn't vibrating. The wheel alignment mechanic said the steering was off, so that could have been it.

I only tried around 70 mph I didn't have space to try 80+ but will try to be sure. But that wheel alignment did make a bigger difference to eliminate most or all the shaking I was experiencing. At least to the point I may not feel like getting a new wheel.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Well I just did my wheel alignment and now the Tesla feels the way it should be.

Maybe it wasn't vibrating. The wheel alignment mechanic said the steering was off, so that could have been it.

I only tried around 70 mph I didn't have space to try 80+ but will try to be sure. But that wheel alignment did make a bigger difference to eliminate most or all the shaking I was experiencing. At least to the point I may not feel like getting a new wheel.
A bent wheel with road force variation would definitely show a vibration at 75+ even if it's balanced at speeds below that. But that's good to hear the alignment helped, even if it wasn't a vibration before.

If you can blast the car up to 90-100 and it's smooth, you should be good. Of course, on a closed course. ;-)

A bent wheel with road force variation would definitely show a vibration at 75+ even if it's balanced at speeds below that. But that's good to hear the alignment helped, even if it wasn't a vibration before.

If you can blast the car up to 90-100 and it's smooth, you should be good. Of course, on a closed course. ;-)

It’s smoother but not completely smooth. But after alignment it did get better. I have no idea if that guy who fixed my rim has limitations but I think he did the best job he could. Or maybe something else is off.

It is significantly better with the alignment.

I wonder if I can sell my damaged repaired rim and get a new one.

At 30-40 mph, it's a significant force/torque exerted to that corner of the vehicle (that weighs ~4500 lbs). You may also have bent the drive shaft and/or wheel bearing to the wheel that hit the curb.
The rim repair shop did fix a 2nd time. But I want to be sure I covered all my basis. The car still drives fine and no more leaking air, but the vibrate can still happen. Just not as much as the 1st repair.

How should I approach this knowing something else may be damaged like what you said? Not really a car guy but I know something is still there. Like if I drive on smooth roads I feel that vibration, if it’s rougher I may not.

Maybe couple years if I get a new car I can consider getting an off road SUV with bigger tires. I can drive the Lexus GX over a speed bump faster than the model Y performance it has bigger tires. The 2006 Mercedes G Wagon had big tires too it can slowly go over a curb with no problem. Would Rivian or Cyber Truck or GMC Hummer EV be the an option for an SUV EV that can survive a curb or pot hole going 30-40 mph if using its stock rims?

It be a nice assurance I can travel and have a better chance surviving a pot hole or random curb especially traveling in another state.