Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hill Hold Function

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also noted that Hill Assist doesn't work in reverse but I'm okay with that. Perhaps in the future they can implement a control allowing the user to decide if it should work in reverse or not.
I know this was just clarified two posts above, but I want to specifically reply to your posts. It DOES work in reverse, but only if you are facing downhill. It basically keeps the car from going the opposite direction from what mode (drive or reverse) you are in due to a steep enough hill.

- - - Updated - - -

We have 5.9 installed on our car now and hill hold works great, but my wife noticed today that it doesn't seem to work in reverse. Any thoughts out there as to whether it would be beneficial or detrimental for the hill hold to work while in reverse?

The beneficial case would be when you are backing out of a parking space on a steep hill, the car won't roll down the hill when you move from the brake to the accelerator pedal. But the detrimental case under the same circumstances might be that you want gravity to roll you down the hill a bit while you are maneuvering into the space on the hill (basically once you are lined up in the spot, just using the brake to modulate your position, rather than having to go back and forth between the accelerator and brake to do so).

Curious as to what people might think about having hill hold engaged while in reverse.
see above

I'm curious about the behavior of the hill assist. Specifically, it was suggested above that it would release immediately when the accelerator is pressed. Can someone who has 5.9 please report back? If it does not, I may delay installing 5.9 because 1 second is much too long to wait if it doesn't release on the accelerator press.
Also I've seen no reference to an on-off selection, any confirmation here either?

I'm curious about the behavior of the hill assist. Specifically, it was suggested above that it would release immediately when the accelerator is pressed. Can someone who has 5.9 please report back? If it does not, I may delay installing 5.9 because 1 second is much too long to wait if it doesn't release on the accelerator press.
Also I've seen no reference to an on-off selection, any confirmation here either?

I have 5.9 and Hll Assist does release immediately and smoothly as soon as you press down on the go pedal. If you take your foot off the brake when Hill Assist is engaged and do not press the go pedal you have about one second before the brakes release.

There is no on/off function in the control settings for Hill Assist. It is always available. You can't turn it off. I'm fine with that. I think it works quite well.