Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it seems like my high beams on my MS 85D never turn on automatically through the controls setting; how do I test it? I have gone in fairly dark places with no reflections and barely any light but it never switches automatically to high beams.

If I turn it on manually by pulling the stalk towards me it works fine.

-C

it seems like my high beams on my MS 85D never turn on automatically through the controls setting; how do I test it? I have gone in fairly dark places with no reflections and barely any light but it never switches automatically to high beams.

If I turn it on manually by pulling the stalk towards me it works fine.

-C

The "auto" setting does not turn on high beam when it's dark. It turns it off (after you've manually turned it on) when there's oncoming traffic.

Yes, you need to push the stalk forward to engage auto high beams (along with turning it on in the controls). It will then work and it works very well.

Image borrowed from the internets. As CHG-ON said if you push the stalk forward this icon will show up in the top left. Then when it detects it is safe to turn them it it becomes blue.

high-speed-cruise.jpg

Auto High Beam is great. I turned in on 2000 miles/2months ago and haven't touched it since (like the wipers) - they work awesome

It works really well, but I have found a few places where it wasn't great. There's a road I drive that has a lot of twists and turns so they have this big jersey barrier through the middle. When there are hills and valleys in the road it can sometimes miss a car because direct light is blocked. I almost blinded a truck driver the other night because they didn't cut off, which is bad on that road, but I cut them off manually. On roads with lots of turns it also will cut them on and off all the time because it doesn't see the light fast enough it seems.

Not a complaint, just an observation that some roads it has been more annoying to leave them on. Great on straights though!

I agree it does work well but still requires occasional correcting. For example, driving through a small residential street with kids in the yard or street you'll need to manually bring it back not to blind them. Also on curvy roads, like mentioned above, sometimes you'll need to help it out. But I'd say 85-90% of the time it works great.

I agree it does work well but still requires occasional correcting. For example, driving through a small residential street with kids in the yard or street you'll need to manually bring it back not to blind them. Also on curvy roads, like mentioned above, sometimes you'll need to help it out. But I'd say 85-90% of the time it works great.

Additionally, when a residential road spills into a main road. Around me, I've accidentally blinded traffic (in loaners with the feature) on the main road from the residential street with a canopy or little street lighting.

Agreed. It can't figure out people. And one time, it turned on the brights when I was driving during the day in a heavily wooded area. I am sure the guy in front of me appreciated that. I sent a bug report.