Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flash High Beams from 2021+ Model S with capactive button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model S with the yoke, and I'm a little confused on the high beam situation. First, I understand the basics: normal lights (1st icon below), quickly press headlight button on yoke to flash high beams, hold button until ring fills to turn auto high beams on (3rd icon below) that dim when there's oncoming traffic, etc. When auto high beams are enabled, but not "active" (low beams on for passing traffic), there is a greyed out icon with an A in it telling you it is enabled and will shift back to high beams when it is clear (4th icon below).

Now there are 2 things I am lost on:
1) What is the difference between the high beam icon on the instrument display and the Auto High Beam slider switch in the Lights menu on the main display (mine is set to on)?

2) How do I flash my high beams (such as to indicate to another driver at a stop sign to go ahead) without turning off the damn auto high beams? The icon disappears from the instrument display and I have to hold the button down and fill the ring to reengage them.

Headlight icons.png

After re-reading the Auto High Beams section of the Owner's Manual for the third time, I finally figured it out. First of all, when Auto High Beams are enabled (icon is in the instrument cluster, either blue or gray), there is no tap short enough to flash the lights and leave it enabled, it disables. The slider in thee Lights menu (along with the Auto High Beams button on the shortcut menu that slides up momentarily when you press the yoke button) do command the state of Auto High Beams, BUT get out of sync when you turn them off via the yoke.

You must do one of the following to reengage Auto High Beams after flashing the lights.
1. Hold the button on the yoke until the circle fills, OR
2. In the Lights menu, or better yet, in the popup, toggle the button off then back on.

Also, there is no way that I've found to have just high beams with no auto, short of holding the yoke button down the whole time.

Not wild about how this works, especially considering all the thought that went into the rest of the interface, but at least it's something. Hope this helps someone else out.

After re-reading the Auto High Beams section of the Owner's Manual for the third time, I finally figured it out. First of all, when Auto High Beams are enabled (icon is in the instrument cluster, either blue or gray), there is no tap short enough to flash the lights and leave it enabled, it disables. The slider in thee Lights menu (along with the Auto High Beams button on the shortcut menu that slides up momentarily when you press the yoke button) do command the state of Auto High Beams, BUT get out of sync when you turn them off via the yoke.

You must do one of the following to reengage Auto High Beams after flashing the lights.
1. Hold the button on the yoke until the circle fills, OR
2. In the Lights menu, or better yet, in the popup, toggle the button off then back on.

Also, there is no way that I've found to have just high beams with no auto, short of holding the yoke button down the whole time.

Not wild about how this works, especially considering all the thought that went into the rest of the interface, but at least it's something. Hope this helps someone else out.
Thanks. I couldn't figure this out either. It's almost like these capacitive buttons are not an improvement over the stalks. Who knew? :)

Reactions: E90alex and terranx