Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEY TESLA -- Safety feature request - ADD THIS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In reality, all of these suggestions (including mine) are based on the user being responsible for knowing whether the car is 'in gear' or not.

Why? This is really just an if-then statement... "IF the operator selects a gear not equal to the current gear AND the gearbox doesn't report back as 'new gear engaged', THEN ignore throttle position input..."

A beep or dash warning could be included to clue the driver into why his right pedal is dead, but the most important thing is that the car doesn't do a stereotypical "geriatric-drives-Camry-through-the-7-11-window" trick at no fault of the driver. :biggrin:

0.jpg

That would solve everything. Not a CHIME but some little sound effect that's quiet and understated. A little click, a bong, something.
I'll third the motion. My wife usually drives her BMW, which has a different stalk arrangement. Not infrequently she has thrown the Model S into neutral while trying to activate the wipers (which are on the right-hand stalk of her BMW). This creates the dangerous situation of rolling down the interstate in Neutral with no throttle response until she realizes what she's done.

Wow, this is really strange. Now, I'm used to being in the minority, but so far it appears I'm outnumbered 42 to 1. I think my post was #20.....

Some owners may have the backup camera permanently turned on, so switching into reverse wouldn't trigger the camera activation for them. Additionally, if someone is attempting to get in drive while, for instance, parallel parking, they may not be looking at the 17" screen then to see the rear camera turn off (if they do not have it on permanently). But yes, generally speaking, that would be a good spot check for if you are in reverse. I still would like the vehicle to chime and flash me (on the screen) if it decides to not do a specific action I told it to, like shifting gears. The feedback could trigger a deeper validation of the expected behavior to then see the car did not shift into or out of reverse.

that is why i want a chime when i shift... so i can audibly hear that i shifted gears..i dont look down sometimes which causes risk.

- - - Updated - - -

to clarify for those of you confused:

NO beeping while backing up (like a garbage truck or something)
YES one small chime (inside the cabin) when I shift from reverse to drive

Actually it would be helpful to have 2 different sounds:
one to tell you when you've successfully changed gears and a different sound that tells you when you've moved the shifter without the car changing gears

Roughly 25% of the posts on the Prius group are about how to turn the beep off.

Having driven both, I think you're confused. The Prius' with which I'm familiar beep CONTINUOUSLY when in Reverse. This is irritating, at best.

**The OP, I believe, requests a single "beep" or chime when the gear is changed from one direction to the other.**

Having experienced this problem more than once with our MS's, I have to concur; brilliant solution. This, or something similar, is needed as sometimes the car simply does not shift into the expected gear thus leading to unwanted surprises when maneuvering.

Bravo for suggesting and I hope TM will incorporate ASAP.

p.s. Also, from above, this is the crux of the matter--it's the "failure to comply with my command" that is at the core of this problem. If I think I'm in gear "X" but am actually in the opposite gear, that's when problems arise.... Trust me, once you've driving an MS long enough, this is very likely to happen to you at some point. (Hence, why I wish EVERY Tesla engineer was assigned a car upon hiring; there's a lot of stuff that would be designed out/corrected if Tesla's staff actually lived with these cars every day.)

I FULLY CONCUR with this from above:

"Actually it would be helpful to have 2 different sounds:
one to tell you when you've successfully changed gears and a different sound that tells you when you've moved the shifter without the car changing gears"

Last edited:
Are you saying that the car does not change from Reverse to Drive and vice versa unless you come to a complete stop during the transition? That would seem to invite accidents. I'm used to driving a manual transmission and I often switch from reverse to first gear while still moving backwards.

Doesn't work that way for me. I regularly pop it into Drive after backing out of my driveway and still coasting backwards. No problem for me and works every time. I don't think I've once been in a gear I wasn't expecting. Could it be that some are not pulling the stalk far enough to trigger the gear change???

- - - Updated - - -

Not infrequently she has thrown the Model S into neutral while trying to activate the wipers (which are on the right-hand stalk of her BMW). This creates the dangerous situation of rolling down the interstate in Neutral with no throttle response until she realizes what she's done.

This was a big worry for me since most of my previous cars and my current second car all have the wiper stalk right where the Model S gear selector is. So far, I've never confused it in the Model S, but have turned the wipers on in my wife's car trying to change gears!

Can someone start a thread about backup beeping so that those who insist on talking about that totally unrelated concept can share their analysis of the merits and demerits of backup beeping with others who care?

Having driven both, I think you're confused. The Prius' with which I'm familiar beep CONTINUOUSLY when in Reverse. This is irritating, at best.

I realize the difference, but I suspect that even if it only beeped once, there would still be some that would want to turn it off--maybe not 25% though :)

Having experienced this problem more than once with our MS's

This hasn't been a problem for me, but I'd have no issues with an audible warning--I never had a problem with the Prius reverse beeping. As I've said many times in the Prius group, "The reason there is reverse beeping is because the only indication you have of what mode you are in is the PRND display, something which you'll likely ignore after the first week of driving."