Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helvetia (& Tesla?) no longer offering extended warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've pulled the trigger today too. 4 years, £2773. It's a lot of money, with a bunch of exclusions. My warranty ran out 27/03.

What swung it really for me is the fact that it's official, so any warranty work will be as seamless regards the app, dropoff, mobile service, etc as it has been previously.

The fact it is transferrable to a new private owner is also a strong positive, because I feel like whilst the battery/motors are the big ticket items covered by a separate warranty, there are a few things that could go wrong which could be costly (PTC heaters, MCU/AP computers, etc). Tesla's £165/hour labour adds up fast too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilly
Presume you had to tick the box which said your car was still in warranty? Also presuming they'll honour it as you'd emailed in before it expired?
Yes to both, for my part. Though I don't know what the escalation path would be if "computer says no", in spite of the arrangement before where you had to email them to "lock in" the warranty, so to speak. I've received exactly one reply, a template email, from the email address we were told to email, despite sending a few emails asking for confirmation that my specific details were recorded, etc.

Reactions: Burley
To be honest, the list of exclusions is smaller than I expected.

Headlights is a bit of a red flag these days with LEDs.

It specifically cites 12V battery, in theory that means the 16V battery is covered.

Infotainment screen isn’t excluded nor are electronic control modules.

Reactions: Durzel and Burley
To be honest, the list of exclusions is smaller than I expected.

Headlights is a bit of a red flag these days with LEDs.

It specifically cites 12V battery, in theory that means the 16V battery is covered.

Infotainment screen isn’t excluded nor are electronic control modules.
12v/16v is probably just an oversight - those T&Cs were probably written back when the lithium LV batteries didn't exist, and has never changed. I would assume the lithium battery is also not covered.

As you say lights are the main obvious exclusion. This would naturally exclude condensation in rear taillights (and elsewhere) which is endemic. I retrofitted the newer rear lights and sealed them before putting them in, so hopefully should avoid that problem.

12v/16v is probably just an oversight - those T&Cs were probably written back when the lithium LV batteries didn't exist, and has never changed. I would assume the lithium battery is also not covered.

That would be my assumption also but I used ‘in theory’ because you’d probably win if you challenged it due to its wording thanks to our legal system.

It’s a well established principle that where there is any ambiguity in a contract, it favours the person with the least power/the person who didn’t draft it.

This is particularly the case as it’s a tailored warranty for a specific car and has been tailored to EVs already. Tesla has been fitting 16V systems for over 2 years now and it’s fundamentally a different component to a 12V led acid battery which is a consumable in practice.

Reactions: Durzel
Just bought 4 years worth. Warranty ran out 26th March.
No issues documents through by email within a minute.
Not sure if this will show up under warranty in the Tesla app. Hasn’t yet.
Me too - just paid £2773 for 4 years. I think that is a bargain at just under £700 per annum. I have certainty and if I decide to sell my car within 4 years (that new M3 Highland is really tempting!) then that should give the buyer some comfort.

Reactions: Dilly
I've pulled the trigger today too. 4 years, £2773. It's a lot of money, with a bunch of exclusions. My warranty ran out 27/03.

What swung it really for me is the fact that it's official, so any warranty work will be as seamless regards the app, dropoff, mobile service, etc as it has been previously.

The fact it is transferrable to a new private owner is also a strong positive, because I feel like whilst the battery/motors are the big ticket items covered by a separate warranty, there are a few things that could go wrong which could be costly (PTC heaters, MCU/AP computers, etc). Tesla's £165/hour labour adds up fast too.
The service via app is exactly same even without warranty. Only issue will be that you will have cost estimate and it would not be 0....

Reactions: Durzel
Just purchased 4 years extended warranty for £2773. My original warranty expired on 11th March 2024. I had sent an email to Tesla before that date.

The following convinced me:
  • Transferrable to new owner
  • Refundable pro rata (minus 10%) if you don't make a claim
  • Only £13.27 per week for 4 years peace of mind​
Going to switch the balance on my credit card to a one with 0% interest (3% fee) and will pay it off at £190 per month over the next 15 months.

Reactions: Dilly and Durzel