Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3LR will be 4 in March 2024 and therefore the standard Tesla warranty will expire.
I have got a quote of £2,428.00 for extending the warranty by another 4 years / 50,000 miles, as per the image below.

A year ago (7th April 2022) my cars upper control arms were replaced due to the sealant in the bushes being washed out and the car making some loud squeaking noise when driving / turning.
The same issue has arisen again, just over 1 year from replacement.... apparently Tesla warranty repairs are only guaranteed for one year, (which seems very coincidental to a cynical person).
I don't want to be faced with having to pay for this repair in a years time, or every year after that (if the replacement arms only last for one year), so I am trying to weigh up the value of the extended warranty.

I'm interested to know if anyone has taken the extended warranty and used it to cover any repairs?

1681984067796.png

If you're planning to keep the car for another 4 years & the extended warranty covers things like the main battery & the drive train, it seems to me like almost a no-brainer to get it. I would not want to be in the situation of having an incedibly expensive repair/replacement bill for those big ticket items.

I've had so many issues with out-of-warranty cars, I'm very risk-averse these days. Not really directly comparable, but in the past couple of years, both my kids have bought what appeared to be solid older cars but have ended up paying just as much as the initial cost (or even more) to keep them on the road. Both of them could have got a brand new car on PCP and ended up paying less than they have by going the "sensible" route & paying cash for a used car.

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k and GPDP
If you're planning to keep the car for another 4 years & the extended warranty covers things like the main battery & the drive train, it seems to me like almost a no-brainer to get it. I would not want to be in the situation of having an incedibly expensive repair/replacement bill for those big ticket items.
Those battery and drive train items are covered for 8 yrs under the standard warranty.

Reactions: GPDP
A year ago (7th April 2022) my cars upper control arms were replaced due to the sealant in the bushes being washed out and the car making some loud squeaking noise when driving / turning.
The same issue has arisen again, just over 1 year from replacement.... apparently Tesla warranty repairs are only guaranteed for one year, (which seems very coincidental to a cynical person).
I don't want to be faced with having to pay for this repair in a years time, or every year after that (if the replacement arms only last for one year), so I am trying to weigh up the value of the extended warranty.

I'm interested to know if anyone has taken the extended warranty and used it to cover any repairs?

I had an extended warranty once on a car - wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Worth checking the small print, but mine only covered "breakages" not what they may class as wear and tear, such as squeaky suspension, or in my case, a 'blown' piston ring - difficult to prove economically (ie, without them doing 90% of the labour) whether it had broken or was just leaking oil - fixed it myself in the end.

I had an extended warranty once on a car - wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Worth checking the small print, but mine only covered "breakages" not what they may class as wear and tear, such as squeaky suspension, or in my case, a 'blown' piston ring - difficult to prove economically (ie, without them doing 90% of the labour) whether it had broken or was just leaking oil - fixed it myself in the end.
Hi Mr Badger, I looked into an extended warranty for a previous car (non EV) and it didn't cover much as there are a lot of items that are considered (by car dealers) to be reasonable wear and tear at 4 years of age or older.
Hopefully someone on the forum will have experience of this warranty and can advise of their experience of getting warranty repairs undertaken with it, or not.

I'll probably get it, because personally I err on the side of caution with this stuff, and it's also transferrable to a new owner so it's not like you're just losing that money. You either use the warranty and get the benefit of it and/or your car is more attractive on the second hand market.
Didn't know it was transferable, that does make it more appealing, if it actually covers anything.

I'm coming up to year 2 without an extended warranty on our X. No real issues have come up.

Read the small print on the extended warranty. On the X it didnt cover lights (which is big cost), nor some parts of the suspension, and clear no 'wear and tear'. Also doesn't cover curtosey car.

I've had so many issues with out-of-warranty cars, I'm very risk-averse these days. Not really directly comparable, but in the past couple of years, both my kids have bought what appeared to be solid older cars but have ended up paying just as much as the initial cost (or even more) to keep them on the road. Both of them could have got a brand new car on PCP and ended up paying less than they have by going the "sensible" route & paying cash for a used car.
Is it Helvetia , you've taken? Mine will be 4 years old in Dec 2023 and is keen to extend the warranty, as repair works for EV, especially Tesla is still in infancy.

as repair works for EV, especially Tesla is still in infancy.

Not really the garage down the road from us did the PCT repair on out X that required the DC to DC converter to be opened.

On something like the 3 with no powered doors or air suspension I suspect most garages will be able to do most work required interms of suspension wear/tear.

Also read the small print on the Tesla insured product, it excludes lights, air suspension and parts of the AC system (from memory), so essentially none of the big ticket items are covered. There is no option to extend beyond 8 years unlike BMWs AUC product.

52978387963_b268e2c423_c_d.jpg

As someone else said, i got an extended warranty once, wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. They covered gearbox's so I should have been covered when one of my synchro's crapped itself right? Except they said it was wear and tear so i didn't get a bean.

In my humble opinion, put that couple of grand into a savings account that you can access. If something comes up, pay for it out of that - otherwise, you've lost nothing.

What is covered on Extended Warranty? The list of what NOT covered is extensive, so much that I can't see what is covered. Maybe seat motors?
That sounds about right - passenger lumber support - (electric motors) so covering that they are on to a winner as Tesla removed all those bits in 2021 - so bugger all covered.

Warranties are about you betting it will fail and the insurer betting it wont, if £2.5K is the cost for 4 years /50,000 miles then majority of vehicles doing the average miles per year will be costing less than that in repairs. Insurers make substantial profits and they research average repair costs before they work out what to charge and how to write the small print with all the exclusions.
Majority of owners will save a lot of money if they go without extended warranty. The car has 5 years on the restraints system and 8 years on the HV battery - the rest of the car is just a car - if you can get the bits then anyone can repair them - and if something else fails - well- it will just be a normal Tesla with stuff not working properly wouldn't it?

This discussion has pretty much convinced me that at the end of the month, when our M3 turns 4, I'll not be opting to extend the warranty. But just out of curiosity, where can I see how much this will cost me? Can't find nuffin in the app or in our account online...

My ten penneth worth -
My R Rover warranty (Autoguard)@£450/yr for fully comp cover up to value of the car is (a) cheap as chips and (b) a godsend. RR's are obscene money if they break. I have made two claims against the company in two years and they coughed up without blinking. Only requirement to remain covered - car must have an approved retailer doing the servicing.
Moving onto our 'new' M3 (2yrs old). I was quted by the Tesla SC @ Chester that a two year extension will be £1400 and a 4 yr: £2500. I too - am deliberating over this extended warranty issue - especially now some of you have said the small print is not in favour of the purchaser perse.
Question for anyone: IF....if the extension isn't purchased, does that mean an end to the TRA provision and the free courtesy car (even if you do pay for repairs)?
Thanks in advance
Z

That sounds about right - passenger lumber support - (electric motors) so covering that they are on to a winner as Tesla removed all those bits in 2021 - so bugger all covered.

Warranties are about you betting it will fail and the insurer betting it wont, if £2.5K is the cost for 4 years /50,000 miles then majority of vehicles doing the average miles per year will be costing less than that in repairs. Insurers make substantial profits and they research average repair costs before they work out what to charge and how to write the small print with all the exclusions.
Majority of owners will save a lot of money if they go without extended warranty. The car has 5 years on the restraints system and 8 years on the HV battery - the rest of the car is just a car - if you can get the bits then anyone can repair them - and if something else fails - well- it will just be a normal Tesla with stuff not working properly wouldn't it?
How about the computer and the display? Are they covered by Helvetia?