Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose my Model S config! Please...

Help me choose my Model S config! Please...

• 60 kWh - Less Range, Loaded with Options

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • 85 kWh - More Range, Fewer Options

Votes: 57 65.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GG, let me offer another option. (I recognize we're probably not helping, because everyone has a different opinion). Here's what I'd do with that budget:

I see the air suspension and sound studio as (relatively) expendable, given the budget limitations. (Unless you think you might need that extra ground clearance).

Get the 85kWh battery.
Don't get the air suspension. (Saves $1500)
Get black or white (Saves $750) unless you REALLY need the green.

Get the pano roof and, if you can squeeze $750 more thann you're currently allowing, get the leather.

But in the end....gotta say this is a personal decision. We'll all have different answers. Go with your gut and remember that regardless of which option you go for, you'll still be driving an awesome car.

Thanks, Todd. Picked Air Suspension primarily for delivery this year; and, the ride quality was so good during the test drive that this is one thing that I might really regret not getting. Exterior color is frozen for sure.

Cloth vs leather is definitely a subjective thing; the hybrid cloth-with-synthetic-leather look is actually very good in the Model S. May not miss heated seats but, seat memory will be a loss.

You may be able to have your cake and eat it too with regards to the 85kWh battery and getting at least one if not two of your options you have declined for budget reasons. As you know CA has a $2.5k EV credit that may be going away; it is a first come first serve credit until funds run out or until re-funded which may or may not happen. When the time for your configuration comes up, lock down with Tesla what your ETA will be for the 60 kWh and the 85kWh and also check the available funds CA hopefully still has for the EV credit. That knowledge might be the information you need to sway you one way or the other. I believe it was poster qwk that posted only 85wKh being produced this year; as others have posted that does not align with Tesla's web site. And obviously, if you had counted on the CA credit, than time is of the essence so the choice to go with the 85kWH definitely gives you more bang for the Kwh.

Last edited:
Thanks, Todd. Picked Air Suspension primarily for delivery this year; and, the ride quality was so good during the test drive that this is one thing that I might really regret not getting. Exterior color is frozen for sure.

You and I will probably be getting our car around the same time. It might not be earlier than November, so springing for the air suspension may not get you the car much sooner.

But it sounds like you may be subconsciously defending decisions you've already made...I'm hearing you say you want green, air suspension, textile, and wouldn't use the pano much.

Seat memory: not a huge deal, in my opinion. Just takes a few seconds of adjustment when necessary...doesn't affect overall enjoyment of the car. You can use an external storage device/smartphone for music, and I'm not sure how much of a difference the sound packages make.

Tommy, yes, I did factor in the $2.5K from Calif. You are right; the longer I wait to get the car, more the likelihood that the CVRP funds will be exhausted. Hmm... something to note for all General Production buyers in Calif., I suppose.

Yes, Todd, you can tell that I might be suffering from range anxiety already and am approaching the options from that view point :)

So, chief concerns would be: would I miss the pano roof? Would the reduced range after 8-10 years be a problem given the usage patterns? And, I'm a lead foot too doing 75-80 mph on freeways on a regular basis so, 200 miles with the 60 pack would be very optimistic.

80 mph in range mode on the 60 kWh would get you around 150-170 miles (educated guess but definitely less than 200 miles). If this is a car you know you're going to keep for 10 years the I think it's important to get exactly the car you want, even if that means delaying the purchase a bit which would be more than painful and I'm sure not an option.

It sounds like you could do without and be fine without the pano roof so I'd scratch that if you have too. Leather with the memory seats would be nice but not mandatory of course. I think the air suspension sounds nice as it improves efficiency and seems to make the ride smoother from the reviews people have posted.

This decision is all about the 200 mile trip. How important is it and what speed do you want to drive?

If you want to be able to drive 200 miles on one charge at 80mph you absolutely need the 85kWh battery. There is no way the 60kWh battery can do that.
The 60kWh battery will require you to drive 60mph or less to get 200 miles. As it ages you will need to slow down or stop to charge.

Every minute you are on the highway limiting your speed you will regret not having the bigger battery.

one other thing that i haven't really seen mentioned is the potential charge for the supercharger network/hardware. I know the price there is still TBD, but there's a chance that it's non-trivial. that could weigh you towards the 85kwh based on the price as well.

Yes, Tempus, anything over $500 for the supercharging hardware would be too much.

Every minute you are on the highway limiting your speed you will regret not having the bigger battery.

Well put, Rich. Model S is meant to be the first no-compromises EV and that is what got me into it. Changing driving style to a significant extent would be a big compromise indeed all other factors apart.

Thanks again to everyone for the input.

Range wins the day!

gg-

I don't know you well enough to be able to peer into your mind, but when I thought about your initial four bullets, the following thoughts come to mind.

"- I want the most long-term value for the car as I intend to keep it well past the 10-year mark without having to replace the original battery too soon."

I don't know that we can assume that the battery will be replaceable. If it is replaceable, I don't know that we have enough information to know 1) how expensive it will be and 2) what the technology will be 10 years from now. Who is certain? There may be a different technology. In the event that your first bullet concerns long term value, my concern as a buyer 10 years from now would be "is this used electric car going to get me from A to B when I need it most?" Given the degradation patterns, the bigger the battery, the longer the life of the car (speaking in terms of range).

Winner: 85 kWh

"- My commute patterns add up to no more than 80 miles per day as of now. Weekend trips would not exceed 200 miles."

Your daily commute obviously puts you well within a comfort zone of either battery. The question I have about your weekend trips would be how frequently? If it is every weekend, you're going to have to consider how you could stretch your 60 kWh battery with your lead foot. Does your route have chargers? Will you have the capacity to charge at a reasonable rate (HPWC, NEMA 14-50) at your destination? To argue that supercharing access will be commonplace in the future may not help you in the next couple of years. So, if the need is here and now for these 200 mile weekend trips and you don't want to use your wife's car (an ICE?), go with the larger battery.

Winner: 85 kWh

"- Wife wants me to get the 60 to keep the price down but, I might have some wiggle room there still."

Winner: wife (no room for debate here!) Should I stop here or continue? :smile:

"- Wouldn't mind the earlier delivery of the 85 kWh-optioned car at all."

How anxious are you? Are you at the hurry up and wait stage? Is there a vocal minority in you that wishes to wait and see how the Tesla performs over the next year? If "wouldn't mind the earlier delivery" really means "I want it ASAP," go with the 85 kWh.

Winner: 85 kWh.

In terms of the options, really all this is subjective and only you and your wife can answer these questions. But given the four bullets you've laid out, it would seem that the 85 kWh option is the way for you to go. My personal opinion regarding the options:

1. Tech package: very nice additions, and I plan on getting it. To be frank, however, I've never had ANY of those features in any of my cars, and I've managed fine. You don't know what you don't know, right? Well, this is one feature that I am finally getting.
2. Sound studio: meh. I'm an ENT, and I want to be hearing well into my golden years
3. Active air: I think I am going to get this purely for the snow in the Chicago suburbs. I imagine that's not a problem where you live. Since I haven't driven the Model S yet, I really don't know how smooth the ride is. But given the poll I administered and everyone's comments, it seems to be noticed. I will probably get this.
4. Parcel shelf: getting this myself, but it is a complete rip off
5. Leather: Never had "real" leather in a car, but I do like seat memory and heated seats (more so my wife). Will be getting this option myself.

So, if you can live without some of these luxury items, I'd go with the 85 kWh since it satisfies your "must haves." If you can do without your tech package, the prices are basically the same.

gg: IMO a bigger battery always trumps options when working in a budget. If you have that occasional 200 mile trip you will be pushing it with the 60 kwh battery at highway speeds and especially so after a few years' degradation. Like you, I am partial to the black roof and had originally planned to get the hard top. However, after sitting in cars with and without the pano roof at the LA test drive and measuring the rear seat headroom I would never buy a Model S without the pano roof nor could I in good conscience ever recommend one to anyone without the pano roof. So though I'd like to vote for your 85 kwh option I cannot because it lacks the pano roof. And I cannot vote for your 60 kwh option because I think it doesn't give you enough range. I would trade off either the tech package or the air suspension for the pano roof and its extra head room any day of the year if you are working within a budget. Model S is a completely different, more spacious car and more valuable car with the pano roof. 85 kwh + pano roof for sure. Then anything else you want and can afford within your budget.

And, I'm a lead foot too doing 75-80 mph on freeways on a regular basis so, 200 miles with the 60 pack would be very optimistic.

Ah, that's a critical piece of information as well. I'll go ahead and vote for the 85 then, unless the Monterey and Tahoe trips are one or two a year, in which case you could opt for the smaller battery and do just fine with charging en route or at destination.

gg? really? You're going to decide based on a poll?

:) The poll and the very analytical comments too (thanks, Kevin!), Bonnie.

Some of the things that have been pointed out:

- *Real, real* range and I'm not talking the EPA 265 estimate for the 85 pack and who knows what for the 60 pack. Real range with battery degradation over time, aggressive driving (i.e. no compromises from current ICE driving patterns), terrain (hills and mountains around the Greater Bay Area), HVAC usage and so on.

- Cost of Supercharging hardware for the 60 pack; an unknown that 60 buyers may have swept under the carpet.

- Price-sensitive Calif. buyers can squeeze in an option or two with the $2.5k from the CVRP funds that are going fast given all the LEAFs, Volts and now the Model S being sold in CA.

It is my understanding the California credit expired 30 June 12 and has not, as of yet, been extended (modified, whatever) into FY 13 as of yet.

My configuration $0.02 at this time only includes the 40kw battery. I am fully planning on replacing it in 5 years with current tech. Yes, that's a gamble that both the S and X will do well enough to make that a reality. My criteria for the 40kw is to be able to drive round trip from Cupertino to San Ramon at 75-80 mph in 90+ degrees with the AC going full. That's pretty close to 100 miles. If it can do that 5 days a week for 3+ years I think I will have gotten my moneys worth. I won't getting the car for another 9 months or so so if it is then reality that the 40kw battery is insufficient for that purpose the 60kw it will be.

I really wish Tesla would sell me the car and lease me the battery. Or have a 3rd party do battery leasing and do swaps. I wouldn't mind leasing an 85kw but that extra $20K upfront plus taxes, insurance and annual registration beats my budget to death. The battery is a consumable, whether or not it lasts 5 years or 10, sooner or later it will need to be replaced. I think one of the reasons Tesla is slow to ramp up production to allow early adopters to give a Tesla a better feel for what to expect over the next 3-5 years before they have thousands of batteries with a potential oops.

I really don't care whether or not the interior is cloth or leather but it will not be black or any dark color. Just too hot in the summer. If Tesla decides to offer cloth interiors in lighter colors then the cloth interior may become an option. Right now it is not.

It is my understanding the California credit expired 30 June 12 and has not, as of yet, been extended (modified, whatever) into FY 13 as of yet.

My configuration $0.02 at this time only includes the 40kw battery. I am fully planning on replacing it in 5 years with current tech. Yes, that's a gamble that both the S and X will do well enough to make that a reality. My criteria for the 40kw is to be able to drive round trip from Cupertino to San Ramon at 75-80 mph in 90+ degrees with the AC going full. That's pretty close to 100 miles. If it can do that 5 days a week for 3+ years I think I will have gotten my moneys worth. I won't getting the car for another 9 months or so so if it is then reality that the 40kw battery is insufficient for that purpose the 60kw it will be.

I really wish Tesla would sell me the car and lease me the battery. Or have a 3rd party do battery leasing and do swaps. I wouldn't mind leasing an 85kw but that extra $20K upfront plus taxes, insurance and annual registration beats my budget to death. The battery is a consumable, whether or not it lasts 5 years or 10, sooner or later it will need to be replaced. I think one of the reasons Tesla is slow to ramp up production to allow early adopters to give a Tesla a better feel for what to expect over the next 3-5 years before they have thousands of batteries with a potential oops.

I really don't care whether or not the interior is cloth or leather but it will not be black or any dark color. Just too hot in the summer. If Tesla decides to offer cloth interiors in lighter colors then the cloth interior may become an option. Right now it is not.
Good luck on your decision. Sounds like the 60 kWh would work better for ou giving your daily 100 mile drives.

When I chose my minimum configuration (an exercise in gee-how-about-two-Model-S-in-the-garage) I took the following options as must-have:
pano roof
air suspension
leather seats
metallic paint

... that's it. So there is my vote: don't give up any of those options. It also gets you the car this year, I think.