Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose my Model S config! Please...

Help me choose my Model S config! Please...

• 60 kWh - Less Range, Loaded with Options

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • 85 kWh - More Range, Fewer Options

Votes: 57 65.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gg -
Your 85 kWh option looked perfect to me, except the pano roof. Then I read that you didn't really use your existing sunroof. Easy selection for me - go with the bigger battery option.
I am getting the pano roof for the headroom, and after hearing all the comments from light-sensitive forumsters who found that the sun doesn't glare in, and it doesn't feel hotter inside on a warm day.

All I could think of when I read bonnie's "gg, you're going to decide based on a poll?!?" comment was a dark comedy poster, saying "Buy the 85 kWh battery, or we'll shoot this dog!" (too dark?)

Some counterpoint for GG:

$10k =
  • 320 shares of TSLA
  • 1%+ of a home in the bay area
  • 2 semesters of tuition at UC Berkeley
  • Airfare for 2-3 international trips for your family
  • 100 days of car rentals
  • 50 nights in a decent hotel
  • Half the base price of a Mini

Ha ha!

Some good counterpoints there, Kip! When I showed my wife this thread last night, she happened to mention atleast three items out of that list ;)

But, hey, a car purchase in general doesn't make financial sense at all! If I had invested what I put cash down into our Mini 4 years ago in say, AAPL, I would have been able to buy a Model S Sig Perf outright now :)

As ckessel asked, what will I regret not owning in 5 years?! I'd have long grown used to no-pano and no-leather but, if I had been seeing the effective range dwindling by the year to unsatisfactory levels (possibly on par with or lower than newer EVs - even Gen III - at that time), would I still be happy with my drive?! Enough to keep the car for 5-10 years longer? This is Range Anxiety, Fanboy-style!

gg, not sure if this was mentioned or not (did not read the entire thread), the 85 also has the unlimited miles for the battery warranty which is key for me. In 8 years (I too, plan on keeping this for 10+ years) I will drive ~175,000 miles so having that extra assurance (needed or not) is gonna be nice to have!

gg, not sure if this was mentioned or not (did not read the entire thread), the 85 also has the unlimited miles for the battery warranty which is key for me. In 8 years (I too, plan on keeping this for 10+ years) I will drive ~175,000 miles so having that extra assurance (needed or not) is gonna be nice to have!

Excellent point.

gg: How many miles to you drive a year? With that commute I'm guessing over 25,000 miles a year? That would be a good reason for the unlimited mileage warranty 85 kWh pack.

A valid point, crzyskl. I might end up doing 20k miles per year too. And, the 85 pack is probably the most rigorously tested of the lot; it might also arguably be the most commonly chosen one atleast in earlier configs so, there'd be more real world data too for it over time.

GG, based on the feedback I think you have to go with the 85 kWh pack. If you were really looking at only local driving and only wanted the extra range for an occasional road trip, I said go with the extra options, which you'd use/see every day. But you don't want to be frustrated by range anxiety shortly after getting the car and regretting getting the options in lieu of additional range.

I don't drive more than 10-11k miles a year, BUT I am kind of planning to drive the S.. out of the S. I could see doing 500miles/week very easily with all of our winding roads in north ca. But my tire consumption is what is concerning me.

With the 85 kWh you can come to Eureka w/out a charge - and have a good Persian meal (or German / or Thai/ or Hippie food :tongue:)

didn't you want the performance :wink: (If I had any kids I would have to pass on it too :frown:)

Last edited:
So did you give in on the options as well?:smile:

My 85 config as stated (with just green metallic, tech package and air suspension) has won out :) It'll be a driver's car and spartan otherwise!

With the 60 kWh option you'd probably want the SuperCharger option additionally. Since that comes free with the 85 kWh option, you might as well add the pano roof. ;)

I've tried other ways to throw that in (short of shaking my visiting in-laws down to find change in the sofa cushions ;)) but, have closed the book on that.

With the 85 kWh you can come to Eureka w/out a charge - and have a good Persian meal (or German / or Thai/ or Hippie food :tongue:)

Z-ET, yes, I'll one day make my way up to the Real NorCal and pay you a visit in my Phase-Current-Amplified 85!