Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

headlight pattern, unusual blip - is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I picked up my first model 3 this time last week and appear to have an unusual blip on the headlight profile. Is anybody else seeing this pattern? Being new, I can’t tell if this is usual or not. I’ve done some googling but only found a couple of picks, none of them appear to show this.

I’m due in at the dealers tomorrow to deal with a number of problems discovered over the first week and need to know if this should be raised with them.

I’ve taken some pictures...

83B01227-C2CA-4A8B-91B8-E23E720A9F62.jpeg
6DCECC71-E1A7-4D82-B790-17B26798CD5B.jpeg

Cheers,
Chris

i thought this was your natural overlap but it almost looks as if there's a portion of the internal headlight trim that's missing. i don't know as much about how LED headlights work, but i assume they use similar lens and focal optics employed in HIDs. the lenses are very important to the discharge of the light beam, so if there are any blemishes you could experience this.

just an FYI - there was (are) people that would retrofit HIDs in to existing cars with standard headlights and if you didn't have a lens kit to butcher from another vehicle, you would end up with a un-focused beam. in other words, all of those Honda Civics that blinded you because you thought their headlights were too bright, most likely had a HID retrofit.

Definitely a small anomaly.

but I would be more worried that your headlights aren’t lined up.

or were you parked on uneven ground?

This is easy to fix in the lights menu.

But back to the “blip” that isn’t normal. If it bud you, say something. I could see it getting annoying with night driving.

Thanks guys for the responses. I let the service technician know and he responded with ‘never seen that problem before’ however I got the impression he said that with all the issues I raise.

It’s now on my 4 pages of things to fix when it goes in for a respray and panel re-alignment....another story!

I’m sure with the number of problems found in my first week I’m likely to become a very active member!

Yikes!

hopefully the positives start to outweigh the negatives soon! It’sa great car.

keep us up to date!

(My one technician experience was with someone who has only been with the company a few months, their are often things they haven’t seen in “a short time” so don’t fall for it )