Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HB 1653 / SB 639 Relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much for plausible deniability. If there was any doubt that Sen. Fraser was blocking the Tesla bill it was answered by a tweet from the Texas Auto Dealers Association 2 days ago "Thank you @SenFraser for supporting TADA and Texas auto dealers!"
Texas Auto Dealers on Twitter:

You would think a senator would be embarrassed to be identified as supporting the auto dealer cartel against free enterprise and consumer choice. Apparently not.
Ridiculous. He should social media shamed. I'm not on twitter, but if i was i would do a 'shame on you message'.

This just in:

The house isn't starting its session until 2PM, but the Licensing hearing won't start until closer to 4-5PM. It's rumored that HB1653 is one of the last of the 13 bills being presented tomorrow, so we'll be providing testimony in the early evening. Maybe they're saving the best for last? ;)

Either way, I'll be there to testify. Can we as Tesla owners come up with a rally point where we can gather? I know we have parking spots on Colorado between 11th and 12th, but should we use that area?

Report from the House committee hearing today:

The good news is the chair announced there would be no vote on any of the 13 bills being presented today. The bad news is when they do vote, we'll go down in flames. It was a sickening 1 1/2 hours to watch. Afterwards I went up to Diarmuid O'Connell (Tesla VP) and said as a Texan I feel the need to apologize for my state. Some of the committee were practically testifying agains the bill. I didn't know which side of the podium they were on. One even thanked an auto dealer speaker for his service to NADA. After hitting every pro-Tesla speaker with questions intended to make the speaker look bad, or embarrass supporters about how much the cars cost, there wasn't one hard question for any of the speakers against the bill. It was a lovefest between them and the committee. The chair introduced one of the auto dealers as being a member of his Rotary Club, etc. And the lineup against the bill was impressive-- GM, Alliance of Auto Manufacturers (the auto manufacturer trade group), Texas Association of Business, an economist shill who doesn't know what a monopoly is and should have his economist card revoked, TADA, Gulf States Toyota, and 2 or 3 dealers, I lost track. Oh, and Easter Seals came out against the bill! (If it might hurt the auto dealers, then we're against it because they give x million dollars to us). She actually said that.

Diarmuid said this was the worst GM ever hit them. I saw GM testified in Maryland against their bill even after the auto dealers reached a compromise and supported it (it's on You Tube, basically if we have to have dealers, they should have to have dealers), but he said this was much worse in emphasizing GM's economic impact in Texas.

Someone from Tesla, I forgot who, said maybe Sen. Fraser will stop blocking the bill in the Senate now and let them have the hearing when they hear how bad this one went for Tesla. If that happens we do need a longer list of people testifying in support. Five (Diarmuid, an economics professor, a free market think tank person, and two owners) wasn't enough for our side. Also Tesla needs a more concise economics professor who can get his points across in 3 minutes and not be surprised when the timer turns red.

Last edited:
I just read TexasEV's account (above) of what transpired today @ the House Committee hearing in Austin.
Easter Seals are pulling for the Auto Dealers... really???
Ugh.
So I guess Tesla may need to start over again at square one.

Texas Politicians are bought and paid for, no doubt about it.
And that surely holds true for legislators from other states also, but Texas legislators are just more pompous and overt about their shenanigans.

Important thing for Tesla is to keep their head up, retain their integrity and continue to do well in the market place.
The Texas Legislature meets (is in Session) every other year.
Perhaps Tesla should focus their short-term energies on educating, collaborating, negotiating and winning in other states.

I think an outside observer might have viewed today's hearing as amateurs going up against the pros. The pros were the dealers and their representatives (it was hard to tell them apart sometimes). Notice i said their representatives, not the representatives. The dealers were introduced as constituents of various members of the committee.

I think an outside observer might have viewed today's hearing as amateurs going up against the pros. The pros were the dealers and their representatives (it was hard to tell them apart sometimes).
Then maybe it's really a matter of framing it better. The People will root for an underdog.

Notice i said their representatives, not the representatives. The dealers were introduced as constituents of various members of the committee.
And what am I, then? Chopped liver?

OK down to the heart of the matter:
Report from the House committee hearing today:
Some of the committee were practically testifying against the bill. I didn't know which side of the podium they were on. ... Oh, and Easter Seals came out against the bill! (If it might hurt the auto dealers, then we're against it because they give x million dollars to us). She actually said that.
I wish now I'd arranged to be there to hear it.
Was any part of the bill (it's really short, after all) actually cited as being detrimental to auto dealers? It only opens a limited (VERY limited, 12 stores!) portal for competition, only for car brands that have no franchises. Period. No change to the dealers' union protected 'endangered species' status. We could hit this point surgically.

Or is it that the cardinal sin is just talking about it? (Violating the first rule of fight club?) If so, "more light, more light" is useful.

Last edited:
Related:
I've created a thread in the TMC News forum regarding an op-ed article in today's Houston Business Journal written by two top officials of a conservative Texas think tank arguing that selling cars direct to customers shouldn't be illegal in Texas. I found notice of it in the business news section of my AT&T-Yahoo home page.

Link to thread in News forum

Link to Op-Ed Article

I suggest that only discussion relating to the effect of this on the TSLA share price be discussed in this Short-Term Price thread. More general comments would best be presented in that thread in the News forum.

I feel so helpless in this situation, obviously email/calling is not working. Are we really going to have to wait for the third try two years from now? I really can't stand this state's ass backwardness. Yes, there is frustration in that statement.

This. I hate when organizations like this take on totally unrelated issues.

Aaaghhhh!!!
i wonder if the amount they get from the dealers is more then what they will loose if we just spread on all social media available that they are against free enterprize and fair trade and that they can be bribed into taking up issues not related to their charteer.