Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HB 1653 / SB 639 Relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received a response from my representative:

"Thank you for your email regarding HB 1653, relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle dealership. Your willingness to share your thoughts with me is greatly appreciated.I’ve met with the Telsa folks and the automobile dealers in an effort to work out a compromise in dealing with the auto distribution model. We’ll keep you apprised of our negotiations efforts."
You would think the wording of the bill limiting new manufacturers to just 12 locations in the vast state of Texas, which has over 1200 franchised dealers, and continuing to protect the franchise model for existing relationships is more than enough compromise. The auto dealers shouldn't have a say in this at all-- the legislators act as if the dealers have a proprietary interest in how a new company does business.

Received a response from my representative:

"Thank you for your email regarding HB 1653, relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle dealership. Your willingness to share your thoughts with me is greatly appreciated.I’ve met with the Telsa folks and the automobile dealers in an effort to work out a compromise in dealing with the auto distribution model. We’ll keep you apprised of our negotiations efforts."
Seems like this requires follow-up from you. As a constituent, I'm sure you're curious to know why there's negotiation with automobile dealers and why Tesla is expected to compromise at all.

FYI, Senator Uresti has received $17,000 in contributions from TADA over his career.

SB 639 has been referred to The Texas State Senate: Senate Committee on Natural Resources Economic Development

My take this is a good thing. For one, Senator Hancock is a member -- and it keeps the discussion focused on forward-thinking issues. Here are the members:

Committee Information
TADA Contributions to Senate Committee Members:

Fraser: 8 / $10,250
Estes: 10 / $20,500
Hall: 1 / $1,000
Hancock: 4 / $4,500
Hinojosa: 17 / $23,582
Lucio: 8 / $11,500
Nichols: 8 / $17,000
Uresti: 18 / $17,000
Seliger: 10 / $30,500
Zaffirini 8 / $8,500

TOTAL: $144,332

Source: TEXAS AUTOMOBILE DEALERS ASSOCIATION - FollowTheMoney.org

Interesting. I will reply and let you all know if I get a follow up response.
Although I don't think the Senator can be swayed, I would note that the Eagle Ford Shale runs through his District. Alternative fuel vehicles like EV and CNG would be the ones to use the natural gas coming from the Shale. One would think that encouraging new manufacturers to enter Texas with innovative technologies that could bring revenue into his District would be very interesting to him.

Yep, that was cut and pasted from his email. I having been mulling the best response to send back, as I think the limit of 12 is already an obvious compromise.
Not only is the limit of 12 an obvious compromise (there are 1257 franchised dealers in Texas) but also the bill doesn't affect their protected relationship with the manufacturers they represent. So this bill is literally none of their business. The dealers only concern could be that Texas consumers find out how pleasant a car buying experience can be if it doesn't involve them.

On the Texans for Kelly Hancock Facebook page a dealer complained the bill was unfair to them, and his response was to tell him to read the bill. Love it!

Yes, by all means let's compromise: to be more "fair," limit everybody to 600 stores :)

I would bring up the $2500 Texas Incentive that is denied buyers of only one brand. Obviously goes against the spirit of that measure.

There must be a story to why it took so long for the bill to be referred to committee, and it's not the same committee as last time. Here is the list of representatives on the House Committee on Licensing and Administrative Procedures:
Texas Legislature Online - Committee Membership

Time to start the letters and emails!
anyone can post a list of their email addresses Ill start a campain with every one I know to email them.

HB 1653 / SB 639 Relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle de...

A public hearing has been scheduled, apparently by the Committee on Licensing & Administrative Procedures, for April 13, 2015. No time or location have been posted yet on the Texas Legislature tracking website.

Link: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Actions.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=HB1653

(Added link)

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about the senate side. That committee and its head appear to have a history of favoring oil interests.
After Tesla sent the email two days ago to Tesla owners in Texas (posted here- 2015 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread - Page 12 ),
we've been calling Sen. Fraser's office asking that he schedule a hearing on SB639. Staff told one of the callers in the Austin owners group that it hasn't been scheduled because an informal poll of committee members showed it didn't have enough support to pass. So that's either an excuse for him to block the bill, or a way for senators to avoid having to take a vote and either embarrass themselves by voting with the auto dealer cartel against the interest of consumers, or voting for the bill and alienating their auto dealer contributors. That statement, if true, also says the hearing is just a show and minds are made up already. Or the staff person could just be blowing smoke and Sen. Fraser wouldn't bring it up no matter what.

As Tesla asked in the email, everyone in Texas please call Sen. Fraser and ask that he schedule a hearing on SB 639. His office phone is (512) 463-0124.

Here is the whole committee's contact info. You could also call the others and ask them to request Sen. Fraser to schedule the hearing. (Note that Sen. Hancock is the sponsor, you don't have to call him other than to thank him!)
Sen. Troy Fraser (512) 463-0124, [email protected]

Sen. Craig Estes (512) 463-0130, [email protected]

Sen. Brian Birdwell (512) 463-0122, [email protected]

Sen. Bob Hall (512) 463-0102, [email protected]

Sen. Kelly Hancock (512) 463-0109, [email protected]

Sen. Juan Hinojosa (512) 463-0120, [email protected]

Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. (512) 463-0127, [email protected]

Sen. Robert Nichols (512) 463-0103, [email protected]

Sen. Kel Seliger (512) 463-0131, [email protected]

Sen. Carlos Uresti (512) 463-0119, [email protected]

Sen. Judith Zaffirini (512) 463-0121, [email protected]

So much for plausible deniability. If there was any doubt that Sen. Fraser was blocking the Tesla bill it was answered by a tweet from the Texas Auto Dealers Association 2 days ago "Thank you @SenFraser for supporting TADA and Texas auto dealers!"
Texas Auto Dealers on Twitter:

You would think a senator would be embarrassed to be identified as supporting the auto dealer cartel against free enterprise and consumer choice. Apparently not.