Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - TMC Connect Registration open (10-12 July 2015)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Papafox, I unfortunately left my iPhone at the TSA x-ray machine when trying to rush through screening to catch my connection to Toronto. I still have my iPad for communication where I can find wi-fi, so I'll pm you my email. Also, if you have i-messaging text is still possible to me. In any case the flight is still UA1254 out of Denver to arrive in San Jose at 1:31 pm Friday. See you there!
possibly papa fox can get it for you☺:smile:
BTW I am at the factory waiting for my tour:love:

Papafox, I unfortunately left my iPhone at the TSA x-ray machine when trying to rush through screening to catch my connection to Toronto. I still have my iPad for communication where I can find wi-fi, so I'll pm you my email. Also, if you have i-messaging text is still possible to me. In any case the flight is still UA1254 out of Denver to arrive in San Jose at 1:31 pm Friday. See you there!

StephenM, plan on my meeting you when you get in from the flight. We'll communicate by email.

dsmith, is there any of that highly flammable liquid in that tank towards the back of the ICE vehicle? If it's a rental, you probably have plenty in there, and I suggest avoiding the lit match method of checking out the level of the flammable liquid. Attaching cables to the ICE vehicle's batteries and then sending in the electrons has never worked well for me on ICE vehicles for extending the range. The only times it has worked has been when I turned the key in a clockwise direction and all I heard is a "click" or nothing at all. If it makes a prolonged sound like a female walrus in mating season, then the electrons are not needed and the flammable liquid would likely do you more good. If all else fails, the ICE recharging stations sell this really thick liquid in quart cans that looks like something you'd find in the Labrea Tar Pits. There's even a special metal stick that is used to see how much of that thick liquid is in the engine and if any of that liquid gets on your clothes you will never, ever, get it out. The good news is that a lack of the thick liquid is likely not the problem. The bad news is that if it is the problem, you owe the car rental company a new engine for the vehicle. I swear it's true.

StephenM, plan on my meeting you when you get in from the flight. We'll communicate by email.

dsmith, is there any of that highly flammable liquid in that tank towards the back of the ICE vehicle? If it's a rental, you probably have plenty in there, and I suggest avoiding the lit match method of checking out the level of the flammable liquid. Attaching cables to the ICE vehicle's batteries and then sending in the electrons has never worked well for me on ICE vehicles for extending the range. The only times it has worked has been when I turned the key in a clockwise direction and all I heard is a "click" or nothing at all. If it makes a prolonged sound like a female walrus in mating season, then the electrons are not needed and the flammable liquid would likely do you more good. If all else fails, the ICE recharging stations sell this really thick liquid in quart cans that looks like something you'd find in the Labrea Tar Pits. There's even a special metal stick that is used to see how much of that thick liquid is in the engine and if any of that liquid gets on your clothes you will never, ever, get it out. The good news is that a lack of the thick liquid is likely not the problem. The bad news is that if it is the problem, you owe the car rental company a new engine for the vehicle. I swear it's true.
Tour started 35 minutes late (Tesla time=on time) Lots of new stuff that was not on my last tour (1.5 years ago).
after the tour I drove up to Pixar studios. My car was all over the place. You forget how rock solid the MS is on the road. I thought I was gonna die.

Tour started 35 minutes late (Tesla time=on time) Lots of new stuff that was not on my last tour (1.5 years ago).
after the tour I drove up to Pixar studios. My car was all over the place. You forget how rock solid the MS is on the road. I thought I was gonna die.

Thanks for the heads up about the late start. If I'm a bit late to San Jose Airport I'll now blame it on the late start of the tour ; )
Looking forward to TMC Connect. I'm particularly stoked about the lunchtime and prime time discussions of road trip possibilities. Can't wait!

After mercilessly harassing Dsmith for weeks now about his bringing an ICE vehicle to TMC Connect, I just ran into a major change of plans. I am in a time crunch and consequently cannot fly to the city where my 70D is located, drive to the bay area, drive back to the storage city, and then fly out of the smaller airport. Consequently, I have just reserved a rental ICE-age car to get me to and from the conference. If the dang thing breaks down while I'm hauling stephenM from the airport to the hotel on Friday, I'll never hear the end of it from either StephenM or Dsmith2189. Let the return fire begin.

Fortunately, Iceman is being spared this indignation. He is snoozing comfortably on Oahu and will not travel to the mainland until about a week after TMC Connect.

Last edited:
After mercilessly harassing Dsmith for weeks now about his bringing an ICE vehicle to TMC Connect, I just ran into a major change of plans. I am in a time crunch and consequently cannot fly to the city where my 70D is located, drive to the bay area, drive back to the storage city, and then fly out of the smaller airport. Consequently, I have just reserved a rental ICE-age car to get me to and from the conference. If the dang thing breaks down while I'm hauling stephenM from the airport to the hotel on Friday, I'll never hear the end of it from either StephenM or Dsmith2189. Let the return fire begin.

Fortunately, Iceman is being spared this indignation. He is snoozing comfortably on Oahu and will not travel to the mainland until about a week after TMC Connect.

:biggrin: priceless:tongue:

Also, don't forget to put the car in park, press the emergency brake, take the key out of the ignition. And when you walk up to the car, you gotta use the key to open the door.

And you have to use the radio to listen to music. Hopefully, there is a plug to play music off your phone. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness we have some people there to help dsmith get into an ICE and get it moving.

Also, don't forget to put the car in park, press the emergency brake, take the key out of the ignition. And when you walk up to the car, you gotta use the key to open the door.

And you have to use the radio to listen to music. Hopefully, there is a plug to play music off your phone. :rolleyes:

You know, the hilarious thing about all these suggestions (harassments) is that they're all actually necessary steps to get back into the the ICE-age transportation vehicles. Nanimac, I fully admit to having walked away from an ICE vehicle with the engine still running and I know why you brought up the subject ; )

Good thing I brought my 12vDC to USB adapter so I could use my phone navigation app. "Navigate to Tesla..."

OK, so my descent from a sky blue 70D to a rental ICE went from bad to worse after I landing in Oakland today. I ended up with a 40,000 mile Dodge Dart, but as soon as I got it on the highway the vehicle started making this horribly loud sound that was akin to a B-24 Liberator bomber with a heavy load. So, I started troubleshooting and figured out that the sound remained constant whenever I varied the RPMs, which meant the engine wasn't making the sound and it was more likely coming from parts of the car that car really hurt you if they break.

Now, if I showed up at San Jose Airport tomorrow in that car to pick up StephenM, he would likely choose to walk to the hotel for fear of his life and my reputation on this forum would be completely shot. I returned to the airport, exchanged the car for a much nicer vehicle, and will carry on. In a Freemont hotel now, psyched about the factory tour at 10:30 in the morning.

OK, so my descent from a sky blue 70D to a rental ICE went from bad to worse after I landing in Oakland today. I ended up with a 40,000 mile Dodge Dart, but as soon as I got it on the highway the vehicle started making this horribly loud sound that was akin to a B-24 Liberator bomber with a heavy load. So, I started troubleshooting and figured out that the sound remained constant whenever I varied the RPMs, which meant the engine wasn't making the sound and it was more likely coming from parts of the car that car really hurt you if they break.

Now, if I showed up at San Jose Airport tomorrow in that car to pick up StephenM, he would likely choose to walk to the hotel for fear of his life and my reputation on this forum would be completely shot. I returned to the airport, exchanged the car for a much nicer vehicle, and will carry on. In a Freemont hotel now, psyched about the factory tour at 10:30 in the morning.

Papafox, I just got to Pearson airport here in Toronto only to find out that the first leg of the trip to Denver has been canceled. Will update as soon as I get to the front of the line on a resolution.

Same here. A couple of new vendors but overall the same things (not that I expected much more). The meat of the event is Saturday though, so I'm really looking forward to today. They have a party at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto 7 pm so I'm hoping there will be some kind of surprise there though just being there will be cool.

Can't wait to hear about the conference...lots of interesting round table topics and the party should be so much fun!!

OK, here's a perspective. We all secretly hoped that the Model X would be revealed this weekend and of course it wasn't. That said, the rest of the conference was quite cool. Imagine the parking lot filled with Teslas and all sorts of cool audio, paint protection, and mods available on Teslas within the display area. I've pretty much decided to do Xpel on the front of the Sky Blue Tesla as a result of this conference.

The Russians are here! Members of the Moscow Tesla Club were on the property in force, telling of the great desire by Russians to buy Teslas and hoping for a service center in Moscow. They made a good case for Tesla looking in that direction. As for superchargers, I can't tell you whether Moscow or Oahu will get a supercharger first.

Papafox went a bit nuts during the "road trips" breakout section and lunch discussion, passing out thelectricroadtrip.com cards like there was no tomorrow.

Some of the Tesla expert panel discussions were good too. Much info about the inside workings of Tesla and its history were given, but speakers were careful not to speak of matters that could affect the stock price.

The final session of the day included Chelsea Sexton interviewing Elon Musk biographer Ashlee Vance. This was quite interesting, consisting mostly of Q and A sessions with Sexton and the audience asking questions (intelligent questions too, not the kind of questions often asked at shareholder meetings). Our own StephenM is shown below asking the author about how the process of writing the biography changed his opinion of Musk (answer: both more amazing positives and darker dark side of story).

smq.jpg

The Saturday evening party at Tesla HQ included nice pupus but no agenda other than more time to speak with other attendees.

I'm Baaaaaaak.:scared:
I had lots of fun.:love: if you haven't been to one of these (13, 14, 15) a weekend party with 305 of your closest tesla friends (that you have never met face to face).:cool:
ended up one night, in the Hotel lobby just chatting with 5 or 6 people. One was chelsea:cool: just relaxing on the floor telling about making the two movies and just a little bit of inside info on some of the people involved in the movies including Elon, JB and others. we also discussed
  • the giga factory expansion (even before it is completed) as well as it being a magnet for others who are buying land in the area for their operations.
  • adoption of EVs globaly and the Chinese/Indian auto industry reaction to tesla with the release of their patents.
  • what cars are available and which ones are only compliance vehicles
  • We also got into a discussion on cars that were really nice but will never be produced. she actually drove one Audi(?) that she thought could be in the same league as the model S. they made ~4-5 and have no plans to make others.
  • powerwall
  • much more that I can't even remember.
there were lots of people there that were really smart and informed. I had to speak with Chelsea the next day to apologize in case I said anything stupid or completely wrong.:redface: she said I was fine. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh. and the One Direction Concert... we had to Drag StephenM away from all those tweens to go to the Tesla HQ party.:biggrin:

Last edited: