Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 glove box won't open - solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all,

spoiler: this was Tesla Service's fault!

I noticed a while back that my glove box wouldn't open, but it was a low priority issue for me. I thought it was going to be a simple fix. In the end it was.

Usually I can use google and this forum to diagnose the issue really quickly, but I wasn't finding anything that really matched up. But there were more clues that I was missing.

The 2013 has a physical button to open the glove box. I had read a couple of places that said the button could go bad. It seemed unlikely, but I decided to check that out. One piece of advice was to turn on PIN to open glove box and then see what happens when the button is pushed. Well, I would press the button and I wasn't getting the screen prompt to enter a PIN. Hmmm, OK, yeah that might be it, but I wasn't convinced because Tesla software has worked in weird ways before. I still thought it was something physical with the glove box. I was only a little bit right.

I started detaching some of the passenger-side dash trim. And I can't believe I saw it, but the wiring harness to the physical glove box button was detached!!! This probably won't help anyone else. I wonder how much Tesla would have charged me to "fix" this. And I know for sure that it was absolutely their fault from when they replaced the data card (the EMMC repair). I've just been driving around since then and it took me forever to notice because I open the glove box once a year to put the new registration and insurance in the car.

Crazy!

But I missed some clues! The most obvious, NOW, I realize is that button WAS backlit! If I had noticed that the button was not lit up anymore I should have realized immediately that it was the button or the connection.

I got everything back together and the glove box works great.

Careful with you trim though if you are removing it. Also, it takes some care to connect it all back.

Reactions: BQst and s1rk