Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Group Buys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, Tesla replaces these batteries at the annual service. Some folks think it's a good idea to keep one spare in the glove compartment just in case.

I also discovered today that I needed 2x CR2032 for my tire pressure gauge. You never know when you might need them and those ones usually can be kept in storage for years.

on my last service it was noted that the 3 buttons on my fob were almost worn through and about to fall out, so I plan to replace them anyway. They needed both fobs to program in a new one and my 2nd fob was hidden in the bottom of a drawer. I just need the batteries as a short term solution.
I'll have to check my Craftsman digital tire pressure gauge to see if it uses the CR2032. these are Duracell and have a 10 year (2023) expiration date.

as a side note. I replaced the battery in my fob last night and went to the mall today. when I got back into my car and tried to put it into drive it told me that my fob was not in the car. I had to check to see that it was still in my pocket. after taking it out of my pocket and putting it in the armrest cup holder it still didn't see it.:frown:
opened then closed the drivers door and it started to see the fob again.:smile:

The Alloy Gators have arrived! Currently, I'm planning on attending the group drive this Sunday and can bring them along. Let me know if you'll be attending and I'll be sure to pack your set. For those not able to go on Sunday's ride, I'll be in town several times over the next week and we can arrange to meet up. Cash or check is fine--$100 even. For those who ordered please let me know if you will be participating in the group ride on Sunday. Thanks.

dpodoll - Silver
RodF - Silver
Spleen - Silver
drtko147 - Silver
Hawaiiskibum - Silver
mmartin - Silver
dsmith2189 - Black

The Alloy Gators have arrived! Currently, I'm planning on attending the group drive this Sunday and can bring them along. Let me know if you'll be attending and I'll be sure to pack your set. For those not able to go on Sunday's ride, I'll be in town several times over the next week and we can arrange to meet up. Cash or check is fine--$100 even. For those who ordered please let me know if you will be participating in the group ride on Sunday. Thanks.

dpodoll - Silver
RodF - Silver
Spleen - Silver
drtko147 - Silver
Hawaiiskibum - Silver
mmartin - Silver
dsmith2189 - Black

I should be there as long as it is after 2 pm. Just let me know where you are going. If not, I will PM you.

I was just wondering if there was anyone interested in a group buy for the new CHADEMO adapter.
Have everyone chip in and get a lock box near the charger to secure it.(with property owner permission)
The only problem is that there are 4 locations on Oahu with CHADEMO chargers (is that right?)
  • Aloha Island Mart Waipio-Gentry
  • Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk Hotel
  • Aloha Island Mart Kahala
  • Aloha Petroleum Kuulwi-Kailua Shell
for those on other islands
  • Maui
    • County Building, Wailuku
  • Kauai
    • Grand Hyatt Kauai

I was looking forward to the release of a CHADEMO adapter too, however after crunching the numbers, unless you are really low on energy and are in a rush, the CHADEMO stations really aren't worth it, IMHO.

I stopped by the Kahala Aloha Island Mini Mart two days ago to ask about their charger. They said it's $6 per session (not per charge) and a session lasts 30 minutes (I called Kailua and they said the same). With an expected charge rate of 70 miles per hour using the CHADEMO chargers (per Tesla website), that's 35 miles per session (per $6).

At the residential rate of $0.35/kWh (HECO's regular rate), 35 miles of charge (11.6 kWh) costs $4.04 and takes close to 1 hour and 10 minutes at 40 A (240v). So, you'll save about $2 and 40 minutes of time (actual time to vary depending on actual amperage being supplied to the vehicle). Is that worth getting a $1000 charger? Not in my opinion--but if you asked me when I've only got 17 miles left again and am on the wrong side of the island as home and am short on time, I might say otherwise. ;)

Now if you kept it on the charger and were near zero for distance remaining, you'd save about $16 on a full charge. But it's at the sacrifice of having to go and stay at one of these stations the entire time. I don't know if you have to standby and reactivate a new session every 30 minutes or if you can preset it to renew until fully charged.

Unless the cost were to be split among a lot of members, I don't see it as a worthwhile investment.

Just my 2 cents...actual value may vary. ;)

I was looking forward to the release of a CHADEMO adapter too, however after crunching the numbers, unless you are really low on energy and are in a rush, the CHADEMO stations really aren't worth it, IMHO.

I stopped by the Kahala Aloha Island Mini Mart two days ago to ask about their charger. They said it's $6 per session (not per charge) and a session lasts 30 minutes (I called Kailua and they said the same). With an expected charge rate of 70 miles per hour using the CHADEMO chargers (per Tesla website), that's 35 miles per session (per $6).

At the residential rate of $0.35/kWh (HECO's regular rate), 35 miles of charge (11.6 kWh) costs $4.04 and takes close to 1 hour and 10 minutes at 40 A (240v). So, you'll save about $2 and 40 minutes of time (actual time to vary depending on actual amperage being supplied to the vehicle). Is that worth getting a $1000 charger? Not in my opinion--but if you asked me when I've only got 17 miles left again and am on the wrong side of the island as home and am short on time, I might say otherwise. ;)

Now if you kept it on the charger and were near zero for distance remaining, you'd save about $16 on a full charge. But it's at the sacrifice of having to go and stay at one of these stations the entire time. I don't know if you have to standby and reactivate a new session every 30 minutes or if you can preset it to renew until fully charged.

Unless the cost were to be split among a lot of members, I don't see it as a worthwhile investment.

Just my 2 cents...actual value may vary. ;)

Yikes,:scared: they say $6 per session, what they really mean is $6 per half hour. (of course those of us without a home charger don't know anything about HECO rates)
Take advantage of CHAdeMO’s network of 50 kW charging stations by enabling onboard hardware and purchasing an external adapter. CHAdeMO stations charge at the rate of approximately 150 miles of range per hour of charge with locations primarily in the Pacific Northwest.
Tesla.com

I like 17 miles/hr charge free (221 miles@13 hrs) but if I realllllly realllllly realllly needed a full charge from near empty, 150 miles/hr charge $18 (225 [email protected] hrs) for a near full charge would be nice.
with your HECO rates and 35 mi/hr charge $24 (210 miles@6 hrs)
that is why I suggested a group buy. $1K is waaaaaaay to much for just one person. especially here in Hawaii where most people don't drive 200 miles in one day.

Sorry nanimac:crying:
*Note: Option not available on 40 kWh Model S.

Last edited:
I could swear that the website said 70 miles an hour a few hours ago. :confused:

Anyway, at 150 miles per hour, or 70 miles per session (per $6), you're getting $8.08 worth of electricity assuming it pumps a full 23.1kWh of energy into the battery at regular HECO rates, without missing milliAmp. :cool: In this case, you are saving $2.08 per session, or $4.16 per hour of charging. At 3.7 hours to charge an 85 kWh battery (2.6 hours for a 60 kWh) from 0 to 100%, that's a savings of $15.39 ($10.82 for 60 kWh) for a true full charge. I typically charge once I get to 125 miles left, (and go to 235 miles (80%)). If you have a similar charge pattern, then you'd save $6.54 over HECO, and charge up in 1.57 hours, vs. 3 hours and 45 minutes+ on a home line.

In my previous post, I had it reversed...at that rate, you would be paying $2 more, not saving $2. In this new scenario, with the 150 mile/hr figure, you're banking money and charging faster than at other stations. If you got 10 people to go in on it, it would be a $100 investment on each person. I don't know if I'd use it that much. At 20 people it's $50/each. I would consider it at that point.

BTW, dsmith2189, if you get trapped on the windward side and need an emergency charge to get home, give me a call. Contact info in the private Hawaii groups section.

We didn't activate supercharging on our S because we thought the likelihood of Hawaii getting superchargers were pretty low. Even with the addition of the CHAdeMO adapter, still don't think that it'd be worthwhile for us to add on supercharging at this time so sorry, we're out.

I could swear that the website said 70 miles an hour a few hours ago. :confused:

I don't know if I'd use it that much. I would consider it at that point.

BTW, dsmith2189, if you get trapped on the windward side and need an emergency charge to get home, give me a call. Contact info in the private Hawaii groups section.
I guess they wanted to trick everybody. I guess in a few hours they will change it to 200 miles.:biggrin:
I usually recharge when I get below 170 miles. that leaves plenty of range from the windward side. (today I plugged in at 5PM with 126 miles, only 1.5 hours left before I need to trudge over there and bring my MS home:rolleyes:)
I was waiting for the CHAdeMO adapter but I figured it would be 1/4 what they ended up being. as a single buyer I guess I'm not interested. with 20 I might consider it even though I may not use it often, just knowing it is available is nice.
:confused:Note: not to make it too complicated but...
Remember to include the cost of a lockbox (mounted with permission) to store the adapter in.
We would also need to consider what to do about people buying a "share" of the adapter after the initial buy.

I got lazy and had my Alloygators installed at Capitol Auto Service in Waipio Gentry (by Costco). $100 labor for a very nice install. First time I've dealt with these guys - first class operation

I got lazy and had my Alloygators installed at Capitol Auto Service in Waipio Gentry (by Costco). $100 labor for a very nice install. First time I've dealt with these guys - first class operation

now you're making me (my rims) look bad. I suppose I'll have to put my car up on the lift and do my install this weekend.:cursing: