Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Teslaunch Buying Experience - All-in-one Rim Protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Wanted to share my experience with the Teslaunch All-in-one Rim Protector experience.

I had seen discussion of the protectors from those that participated in the testing program and had just bought a new Model Y Performance and wanted to protect the wheels. I placed an order for the 20/21" all-in-one rim protector from Teslaunch's site. The default color is Matte Black which I kept selected (more on this later).

The site proudly touts a :"30 day money-back guarantee" (there is a button to click for more information, I did not do that). I did receive free shipping.

I ordered the product on 12/27 (the day after I got my car) and promptly received an order confirmation, but no other information. On 1/6, I finally received a notification that the product had shipped, but it was clear from the "YunExpress" tracking number that these covers were coming from Asia and not the U.S. The product left mainland China on January 7th and arrived in California (where I live) on January 12th.

Once I received the covers and checked them against my wheels I realized there was a color discrepancy. I did some research and then learned that my Model Y has "Carbon Grey" colored wheels and not Matte Black. That was my error, and the Teslaunch site doesn't guide you to the correct color for a given wheel. If you are a new owner like me, you are likely to make this mistake in the purchase process.

I then started to research the return policy when I realized that returns not due to defect or damage are at the customer's expense. The policy also states that if you got free shipping then you also owe them that shipping cost. Not what I was expecting at all.

I reached out to their support team via email and explained the situation and asked how best to resolve. They said return shipping was prohibitive and instead offered a 60% refund and said I could keep the covers. I responded and said I didn't know they were shipping from China (it's not disclosed on their site) and that there is no indication on what the correct color match is for a 20" wheel or 21" wheel and lots of customers may be prone to this error.

Teslaunch support offered me 70% back and said I could keep the wheel covers. I'm now left with the option of trying to sell them or eat the $70.

I share all of this so that I can help all of you if you are thinking of doing business with Teslaunch. Their testers seem very happy with their free product and there are some definite "buyer beware" elements I wanted to share here:
  1. Teslaunch ships from China - expect a two week wait to get your order. They don't freely disclose this on their site. You won't be able to return things to them without massive out-of-pocket costs.
  2. Read their guarantee in full before ordering - it is not as simple or as flexible as they make it out to be.
  3. DOUBLE CHECK COLORS - I didn't do this and that is my fault. Unfortunately, they don't match so I'm left with trying to offload these to someone with 20" wheels who wants matte black (PM me if you want a great deal!)
Teslaunch customer service did work with me and I appreciate the 70% refund...however I wasn't willing to re-order the correct color, wait two weeks, and hope they worked correctly as I'd have no recourse with them if I didn't like the solution.

Happy to answer any questions - best of luck with your accessory purchases.

-v

All,

Wanted to share my experience with the Teslaunch All-in-one Rim Protector experience.

I had seen discussion of the protectors from those that participated in the testing program and had just bought a new Model Y Performance and wanted to protect the wheels. I placed an order for the 20/21" all-in-one rim protector from Teslaunch's site. The default color is Matte Black which I kept selected (more on this later).

The site proudly touts a :"30 day money-back guarantee" (there is a button to click for more information, I did not do that). I did receive free shipping.

I ordered the product on 12/27 (the day after I got my car) and promptly received an order confirmation, but no other information. On 1/6, I finally received a notification that the product had shipped, but it was clear from the "YunExpress" tracking number that these covers were coming from Asia and not the U.S. The product left mainland China on January 7th and arrived in California (where I live) on January 12th.

Once I received the covers and checked them against my wheels I realized there was a color discrepancy. I did some research and then learned that my Model Y has "Carbon Grey" colored wheels and not Matte Black. That was my error, and the Teslaunch site doesn't guide you to the correct color for a given wheel. If you are a new owner like me, you are likely to make this mistake in the purchase process.

I then started to research the return policy when I realized that returns not due to defect or damage are at the customer's expense. The policy also states that if you got free shipping then you also owe them that shipping cost. Not what I was expecting at all.

I reached out to their support team via email and explained the situation and asked how best to resolve. They said return shipping was prohibitive and instead offered a 60% refund and said I could keep the covers. I responded and said I didn't know they were shipping from China (it's not disclosed on their site) and that there is no indication on what the correct color match is for a 20" wheel or 21" wheel and lots of customers may be prone to this error.

Teslaunch support offered me 70% back and said I could keep the wheel covers. I'm now left with the option of trying to sell them or eat the $70.

I share all of this so that I can help all of you if you are thinking of doing business with Teslaunch. Their testers seem very happy with their free product and there are some definite "buyer beware" elements I wanted to share here:
  1. Teslaunch ships from China - expect a two week wait to get your order. They don't freely disclose this on their site. You won't be able to return things to them without massive out-of-pocket costs.
  2. Read their guarantee in full before ordering - it is not as simple or as flexible as they make it out to be.
  3. DOUBLE CHECK COLORS - I didn't do this and that is my fault. Unfortunately, they don't match so I'm left with trying to offload these to someone with 20" wheels who wants matte black (PM me if you want a great deal!)
Teslaunch customer service did work with me and I appreciate the 70% refund...however I wasn't willing to re-order the correct color, wait two weeks, and hope they worked correctly as I'd have no recourse with them if I didn't like the solution.

Happy to answer any questions - best of luck with your accessory purchases.

-v
Thanks for your sharing.

If necessary, we can now arrange a set of 21'' original car color carbon gray from the US warehouse for you. It is expected to be delivered in 3 days. Because some fans have reported logistics issues in previous posts, we have prepared to move all shipments to the US and European warehouses in March. So you don’t have to worry about logistics timeliness in the future.

In terms of color, we are also aware of this problem, so we have noted the corresponding wheel colors of 20-inch and 21-inch on the product page.

Please kindly DM me if you need a new set of products, and I will arrange it for you ASAP.

Did you ever try them on the car or get new ones? I’m curious to know if they’re really that high quality. I want to get a feel for likelihood they’ll pop off going 80 mph and hit pothole. Thx so much for your post, super helpful.
I still have the original ones and they seem to snap on just fine without any issue (or the need for the tape to affix them).

I am going to DM Teslaunch as they offered to work with me in a previous post...I just didn't have enough posts or my account wasn't old enough to DM anyone until today ;)

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Guys
I have them on my MYP Ubers
Shared my amazing experience in the Teslaunch intro thread
I am very satisfied

Question, are there any Magbak rim case owner experiences to share?
I never pulled the trigger on those and wondering how they do
No desire by me to switch
Just curious

Guys
I have them on my MYP Ubers
Shared my amazing experience in the Teslaunch intro thread
I am very satisfied

Question, are there any Magbak rim case owner experiences to share?
I never pulled the trigger on those and wondering how they do
No desire by me to switch
Just curious
Is the Teslaunch product a single piece or multiple pieces? I’ve seen some review videos showing it being a single solid piece but on their own website it shows multiple pieces being installed per wheel like the Magbak product.

Is the Teslaunch product a single piece or multiple pieces? I’ve seen some review videos showing it being a single solid piece but on their own website it shows multiple pieces being installed per wheel like the Magbak product.
Totally diff from Magbak, not a fan
This is a single piece per wheel, on in a minute
Easy snap off for deep cleaning the wheel
Survives impact, did not even snap off
Great product and highly recommended

my bad, I was not clear, I have the M3 19" sport wheels and want uber covers from Teslaunch, no great quality covers available at this time
Hello! We've been in touch with the technical team these past couple of days. We anticipate launching new hub protectors suitable for the M3 19'' Sport Wheel by the end of next month. Once the products are available, we'll send them to you immediately to see if you like them.

Hello! We've been in touch with the technical team these past couple of days. We anticipate launching new hub protectors suitable for the M3 19'' Sport Wheel by the end of next month. Once the products are available, we'll send them to you immediately to see if you like them.

Wow
Teslaunch, you guys are best
After my great review with photos, please share a discount code for all of the TMC members

Wow
Teslaunch, you guys are best
After my great review with photos, please share a discount code for all of the TMC members
Sure, we cherish our connection with TMC fans greatly. We also encourage fans to provide us with more feedback. Any requests can be made by leaving a comment directly or by sending me a private message.

Here's an exclusive discount code for forum fans, offering 15% off the entire order. Code: TMC15

Just enter the code when checking out. For example,
TMC15.png