Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really Tesla? Their recall letter advises people to upgrade to 5.8.4 or later. However 5.8.4 has a very bad bug that can actually CAUSE an electrical fire under certain circumstances. The bug has been corrected in later releases, but 5.8.4 is a bad software version to be at. Here's what I emailed Tesla on January 12, 2014:

--

From what we can tell based on forum feedback (since Tesla won't tell us the actual algorithm being used), v5.8.4, during charging, if the car sees a voltage drop beyond a fixed level (5% or 6%) from nominal voltage (240V or 208V), then the car OVERRIDES the amperage draw level as set by the user. It overrides this to a FIXED value which is a 25% reduction from the rated value of the adapter being used.

As seen in the above post, this is a BUG since the correct behavior SHOULD BE to reduce amperage draw from 25% of the VALUE SET BY THE USER. So in the above example, the user is using the NEMA 14-50 adapter, but on a circuit that is protected by a smaller breaker, a 30A breaker instead of the usual 50A breaker. The user dials down current to 24A, which is the maximum safe level in this scenario. The car, upon seeing a voltage drop, resets this to a HIGHER CURRENT of 30A. This is unsafe and counter productive.

There are other cases where people use NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 adapters for plugs that are rated far less than the 50A ratings of these receptacles. People have made home made adapters for such receptacles as TT-30, Marine 30A, NEMA 6-30, NEMA 6-20, etc. These home made adapters terminate in a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 plug that the user then plugs a Tesla adapter into. The user, mindful of the actual receptacle rating, dials back the charge level to a safe number, be it 16A or 24A. Your software could then override this value and set it to 30A, which would, in some cases, actually exceed the breaker rating.

Please update your charge reduction algorithm ASAP as it is dangerous.

--

I would also point out that while it is normal practice to protect a NEMA 14-50 outlet with a 50A breaker, there are lots of older homes that have NEMA 14-50s with 30A or 40A breakers, and associated wire ratings. v5.8.4 is not a safe release.

It just noted that 5.8.4 was where the current reduction started. Chances are that, unless you accepted 5.8.4 then refused to accept an upgrade afterwards, you have 5.8.8 or greater anyway. Not a big deal IMO.

Despite Tesla's instructions about mailing the old adapter back to them, I am planning on keeping it as a spare in the car, just in case I ever need it. I don't think there is really anything dangerous or wrong with the older adapter, especially after the latest software updates.

I got the letter yesterday as well. In it, it says the new adapters will be gray on the side that connects to the UMC.

When I had the car in for our annual service last week, I asked about the new thermally-protected adapaters, and my service rep gave me a new adapter that he said included the thermal fuse. It has a green dot on the side that connects to the UMC -- but isn't gray. Is that not actually one of the new adapters then?

Despite Tesla's instructions about mailing the old adapter back to them, I am planning on keeping it as a spare in the car, just in case I ever need it. I don't think there is really anything dangerous or wrong with the older adapter, especially after the latest software updates.

Doubt that TM will allow you to keep the old ones...I would not if I were them (liability). I would track owners/VINs of all vehicles/adapters to try to get as many of the old adapters back as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the letter yesterday as well. In it, it says the new adapters will be gray on the side that connects to the UMC.

When I had the car in for our annual service last week, I asked about the new thermally-protected adapaters, and my service rep gave me a new adapter that he said included the thermal fuse. It has a green dot on the side that connects to the UMC -- but isn't gray. Is that not actually one of the new adapters then?

You do NOT have the new thermally protected adapter (and your part number probably ends with -B or less likely -A). You should still be getting a 'recall' letter and subsequently a new adapter (with the grey flat face).

Does anyone think they'll send replacements to people who bought them through the Tesla store? I use a UMC converted to J1772. Not really expecting it since my purchase isn't tied to a VIN, just wondering.

You may have to initiate a request to Tesla as the letters seem tied to each VIN. I would think they'd replace it.