Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch superchargers powered by diesel generators??? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, anyone who actually visited this location (as I have multiple times over the years and most recently in September) would know there are no diesel generators on site at all and certainly no Tesla flatbeds - there is no diesel power on any of the hundred or so SC at location.
The diesels I've seen at places (not Harris Ranch) were only to cover surges and outages. They burn fuel for maybe 0..001% of the time to enable folks to drive electric 100% of the time.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Moderator note: This post was merged from another thread.

I am in the middle of an online debate with someone who does not believe Musk or Tesla is true to their word... in many areas. The specific area they are promoting that disparages the Tesla ethos is that of where superchargers get their energy. He cites a specific and very large supercharger station in CA that uses Diesel generators. I find this hard to believe and he says.. refute it. As I don't live in CA, I cannot irrefutably do this. Can anyone help here? The link he uses to support his thesis is as follows:

jalopnik.com/...

Any assistance would be appreciated,
Freedom Reigns

Last edited by a moderator:
since I've seen Tesla Supercharger generator trucks that are a full-size flatbed Semi trailer. Clearly not 40 MW but certainly enough to power several Superchargers.
The temporary trailer superchargers occasionally deployed to bottleneck locations on holidays do not have generators aboard. They have Tesla PowerPack/megapack batteries that charge from the grid.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
Harris Ranch just put out a statement refuting the reports and invites skeptics to come for an inspection:

This from Faux News, so does that mean there really is a diesel generator at Harris Ranch? I guess we all need to go to Harris Ranch to take a look and have lunch or dinner there. Win-win for Harris Ranch! LOL

Harris Ranch Resort denies rumors of diesel plant, invites skeptics for property inspection

I mean, I’m just glad we had Earl on the job the one day we let the entire media machine that writes stories every time Elon farts take the day off.

#blessed ;)
A lot of those stories, such as that the original one about the source of energy to Superchargers at Harris Ranch ARE on the internet.
I know a lot of other true stuff that the entire machine hasn't written on as well. I guess they're too busy trying to disparage Tesla by stooping to worrying about Musk's bodily functions and personal behavior. Or, maybe it's because the truth about Tesla isn't exciting enough.
"Tesla uses diesel generators to provide surge capacity during heavy holidays to remote superchargers while full, clean, grid connectivity is being acquired" - boring
"T3sl@'s H@rri$R@nch Sup3rch@rg3rs are p0w3red by d1esel g3ner@t0rs" - millions of clicks, likes, reposts, links to, . . . (note: obscuration of phony story added as search engine camouflage - the internet can be pretty stupid sometimes and I'd hate to add to the pool of falsehoods)

Reactions: Rocky_H
You should have taken a picture of the diesel trailer, as you're apparently the only one that's seen it! No such documentation exists anywhere on the internet.
The post #2 above shows a portable diesel generator on 2 wheels that can be towed away. It's connected by a big cable on the ground to a portable Supercharger cabinet that powers 2 stalls.

Reactions: ucmndd
The post #2 above shows a portable diesel generator on 2 wheels that can be towed away. It's connected by a big cable on the ground to a portable Supercharger cabinet that powers 2 stalls.
I’m not disputing that generators on trailers exist or that semi-portable supercharger cabinets and pedestals exist, or even that they’ve been used together before. It’s even been well documented that Tesla HAS powered existing supercharger sites by generator before (ironically enough, Harris Ranch back in the early days when the entire site was having grid problems).

I’m saying integrated “Tesla Supercharger generator trucks that are a full-size flatbed Semi trailer” as Earl suggests don’t exist, or if they do, there’s literally zero documentation of them beyond Earl’s memory, and that’s more than a little sus.

I’ve spent a decent amount of up-close time with these rigs in both Fresno and San Luis Obispo. They’re battery powered and very slick.

Fresno Christmas appearance in 2019:

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah and Tam