Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard Acceleration Thunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hearing a single thunk during hard accelerations that would always result in a slightly quieter thunk during full regenerative deceleration. Since I've had my Model X in for service multiple times for half shaft replacement, motor mount damage, and other front suspension issues, I thought it was a loose component, because that's what it sounded like. Tesla service tells me they believe it was due to a missing clip on the brake pad/caliper. I have no reason to doubt them, but it's amazing to me that it was the root cause of the sound. It honestly sounded like something that was mounted to the firewall on the passenger side was loose, and acceleration torque would shift it in an elongated hole. If you're experiencing a similar sound, pull off a wheel and check your brake components. Tesla said they recommend an annual brake inspection since we "don't use our brakes very much". Their guess is that the component became corroded and broke off.

Just got my Model X back yesterday. Turns out the sound wasn't coming from the brakes, but from a broken A/C compressor mount. Unfortunately (fortunately) when they were testing the vehicle, the front drive unit clevis mount broke and pulled the left front halfshaft apart so I got two new free front halfshafts (again) with a new clevis assembly.

I also had them take a look at the drivers side door latch (once replaced a couple of years ago) because it was sticking and the plunger was required to push the door open. They replaced both door latches with updated latches and the difference is amazing. Unlatching (opening) the doors is so much quieter now. Gone is the "thunk" of the latch mechanism and I almost don't realize the door is open.

They also found that my 12v battery needed replacing. All this was done out of warranty so with the above, plus service on the brakes and one of my 2nd row seats, the total came just under 2k. It's the first time I've had to pay any money to fix my 2016, so I guess it's not too bad.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom and forkee