Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy with the way Tesla has handled my request for a color change from blue to red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. But so is the new red. I showed the photos to a some very good friends and they all agreed on the red.

Just PM'd George B. I have enormous respect for him so I'll abide by what he says with no further issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked my spam blocker. The December delivery email was there. So the judgment about where I was in production was probably right. Who would have figured?

I think it's one of those things you'll likely be happy with either color you get but hopefully you get what you want. Drives home the importance of adding the domain teslamotors.com to your safe list for spam filters too. Good luck.

I am sure they will give some leeway, especially if you can identify a replacement buyer like Beck.Christopher, making you both happy (with you just a few months later, though the red looks like it is certainly worth the wait). Though you would be happy with whatever one shows up on your doorstep, certainly. I am still second guessing my color and Perf/Non-Perf decision, and have resigned myself to just trading in for a new color and a 600-mile range battery in two years, since there was not a "YES, I WANT DELIVERY IN 2012, BUT IF YOU CAN'T GET IT TO ME UNTIL 2013, I WANT ANOTHER MONTH TO RETHINK MY CONFIG" button on tonight's email.

I am still curious, if you had your choice of color, would you take delivery of Blue if it could be delivered in December, or would you ally hold out until March, April or even May for Red?

Can't take delivery of any color as soon as December. Have a Honda S2000 and Chevy Volt lease to sell first (three cars is a bit much) and a number of other things to get ready. Feb or March is manageable, but not December. From the beginning I was assuming and planning on April or May, even with the blue. But things have played out differently in terms of speed of delivery and and availability of the red. The best laid plans...

- - - Updated - - -

Make it happen.

PM me if you want to discuss.

Are you complaining that your car is being made too early? It could be worse.

Not complaining at all. It's just that delivery earlier than I had planned affects up all the financial considerations. I want to minimize the amount I finance and that sets up a number of timing constraints. Tax considerations also come into play.

- - - Updated - - -

What changed your mine to red? Was it the new multicast pics?

Yes, the new photos posted here blew me away. Plus there was a red on display at the Motor Trend COY event in NYC that I attended. It was knock out gorgeous.

Artsci, good luck. It is win-win, but I see your point about inflexible. Not sure if it was the "bedside manner" of the TM rep, or did s/he really try to find out, which is why it took a few hours, but the answer was not what you hoped to hear.

The rep was very polite, so that isn't a concern. But he did not really carefully describe the options, although he suggested that paying more money was one. That was an immediate turn-off, but to be fair, I was rushed and didn't pursue this with him in any detail. So it was partly my fault. But I've now communicated more carefully and thoughtfully with Tesla and am awaiting a response.

I think we all go through this to a much more minor degree ... who here hasn't put off the purchase of a new laptop or phone because 'I'm pretty sure they're announcing new technology/options/color/memory/resolution/speed/whatever soon'? (That is so me!) And then we finally make the leap and, yep, something else is announced and we kind of wished we'd waited.

But there will always be something else. And what we've bought is still just as exciting. Our heads just mess with us.

Artsci, even if nothing can be changed, you are getting an amazing and beautiful car. :)

@artsci Selfishly, I want you to get the blue so I can be the only red (albiet sig red) in the area for a bit longer. :)

Email George - he has been responsive to my inquiries about the status of the DC-Boston SuperChargers. Send me a PM if you want the address, but it isn't hard to figure out.

The rep was very polite, so that isn't a concern. But he did not really carefully describe the options, although he suggested that paying more money was one. That was an immediate turn-off, but to be fair, I was rushed and didn't pursue this with him in any detail. So it was partly my fault. But I've now communicated more carefully and thoughtfully with Tesla and am awaiting a response.
Of course you would have to pay more since red is $1500 and blue is $750. I assume you mean something more substantive than that but is it possible that the rep thought you wanted to "upgrade" to the red for free?

Of course you would have to pay more since red is $1500 and blue is $750. I assume you mean something more substantive than that but is it possible that the rep thought you wanted to "upgrade" to the red for free?

That misunderstanding is certainly possible but I don't think that's what he meant since I started the conversation noting that there was a minor cost difference.

Add me to the list .... You've had plenty of time to make up your mind before finalizing. Just like firing a weapon: Once you pull the trigger, you cant stop the bullet.

But look at it like this ... they say your first choice is usually the right one. So, go with it.

See my edited post at the top of the thread. Tesla called me to say they are now working with production to do everything possible to change the color from blue to multicolor red. They're calling me on Monday to let me know how it works out. Couldn't be more pleased. What great customer service! Seems I just needed to communicate with the right staff. This has become a win-win. Even if I end up not getting the red, I couldn't be more happy with Tesla's support. And the blue is a great color, and hardly a second choice.

See my edited post at the top of the thread. Tesla called me to say they are now working with production to do everything possible to change the color from blue to multicolor red. They're calling me on Monday to let me know how it works out. Couldn't be more pleased. What great customer service! Seems I just needed to communicate with the right staff. This has become a win-win. Even if I end up not getting the red, I couldn't be more happy with Tesla's support. And the blue is a great color, and hardly a second choice.

Coming from someone who was in the same boat, I'm glad it worked out for you. Big of you to accept it either way... I hear ya, you just wanted a bit of understanding on tesla's end

If it all works out you should rename the thread...