Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy with the way Tesla has handled my request for a color change from blue to red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
change the color from blue to multicolor red.
:eek:RU sure that's what you want? Red with a few streaks of blue, black, green, silver, etc.? Is your real name Joseph? :wink:

Could be an innovative new 'skin', tho'. A multi-coat of multi-colors!
Pix when it comes!

Well, that's what I asked for:) What exactly is a multi coat and what does the multi do? I'd like to get this straight.

We're afraid to tell you, perhaps you want to change your mind after you learn? :biggrin:

In earnest: My understanding is that a multi coat paint is applied in several steps, where "normal" paint is just one layer of color. Multicoat produces richer tones, change of hue and intensity, dependent of angle of incoming light and your eye.

Well, that's what I asked for:) What exactly is a multi coat and what does the multi do? I'd like to get this straight.

Easiest way to explain it is that the color or effect is coming from 2 sources. The Green for example, just has the green basecoat for color, then a layer of clearcoat over it for gloss/protection (single coat). Same for Silver, Brown, Black, etc.

Most Pearls have an initial layer of basecoat, then a second basecoat layer that has the pearl effect (this middle pearl layer can also be done with clearcoat depending on the company), then the clearcoat. The Sig Red has the basecoat, then a layer of clearcoat that has been colored red (for additional color), followed the "clear" clearcoat. Both of these are what Tesla is calling multi-coat.

So the multi coat can refer to either an extra step in the basecoat or clearcoat process that provides the final color or effect on the car.

Last edited:
Easiest way to explain it is that the color or effect is coming from 2 sources. The Green for example, just has the green basecoat for color, then a layer of clearcoat over it for gloss/protection (single coat). Same for Silver, Brown, Black, etc.

Most Pearls have an initial layer of basecoat, then a second basecoat layer that has the pearl effect (this middle layer pearl layer can also be done with clearcoat depending on the company), then the clearcoat. The Sig Red has the basecoat, then a layer of clearcoat that has been colored red (for additional color), followed the "clear" clearcoat. Both of these are what Tesla is calling multi-coat.

So the multi coat can refer to either an extra step in the basecoat or clearcoat process that provides the final color or effect on the car.

Thanks. That won't make me change my min:)