Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handheld Fire Extinguisher

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with an S considering carrying a fire extinguisher onboard? Just to have a little extra insurance. When I was younger it was a must have in the VW bugs I drove. What kind would be required to put out a battery fire? Chemical one I suppose?

Do you carry a fire extinguisher in your ICE car? There are about 500 ICE car fires PER DAY in the U.S. They don't make the news because they're so common.
Yes, but I wouldn't say most people do. I think Tesla recommends water anyway, so it would only be helpful for superficial stuff like "I put hot coals in the frunk and it's smoking, now what?"

Waste of time IMHO. In the highly unlikely event of a pack fire, you won't be able to put it out with an extinguisher. Get safely outta the car and call 911 and your insurance company.

An extinguisher would be more useful for an ICE vehicle, if a small engine fire starts you might be able to put it out before the car gets completely involved.

I've kept a fire extinguisher in my 1998 GMC Jimmy ever since my parents' 1991 Lincoln Towncar decided to set itself on fire. (Hmm, I don't have one in our Prius - I should!)

A friend of mine recently suggested a technique for putting out ICE fires: 1) Don't open the hood! 2) Put the nozzle of fire extinguisher directly up against the radiator/grille, and blast it in that way. Seems like a good idea.

If you are worried about a pack fire, don't bother. A hand held fire extinguisher is going to be little better than standing on the bonnet and peeing on the fire. To put out a pack fire, you need to cool down the pack, and that requires a _lot_ of water.

If you are worried about other smaller fires, or helping out others, than any of the usual small automotive style ones should be fine.

Yes, but I wouldn't say most people do.
Based on what? I've never had a fire extinguisher in any of my vehicles. I suspect I'm in the majority on this one. (Perhaps foolishly.)

BTW, in contrast, every one of my vehicles has a dedicated set of jumper cables always in the vehicle. Until Model S.

Last edited:
A friend of mine recently suggested a technique for putting out ICE fires: 1) Don't open the hood! 2) Put the nozzle of fire extinguisher directly up against the radiator/grille, and blast it in that way. Seems like a good idea.

This is actually a very important point. A lot of people would automatically open the hood, which is a great way to singe off your hair. It will accelerate the fire dramatically by adding gobs of oxygen. Shooting in through the grille is the correct procedure.

Yes, I carry a small fire extinguisher. When the news of the first fire broke, a snarky colleague at work left a fire extinguisher on my desk anonymously. So, I thought, "Hey! Free fire extinguisher! " I kept it and put it in the trunk. Doubt I would have bought one on my own... but what the heck, it was free!

Side-rant: Dumb laws in Hong Kong. If you buy a fire extinguisher, you are then legally obligated to pay a fire inspector to come round and look at it once a year, place a sticker on it, and file a report with the fire department. If you don't file the report, or get the inspection done, it is a criminal offence. If you don't buy the fire extinguisher in the first place, you have no legal obligations. Go figure.

well I needed one last week, as I was driving home late night, I passed a car that just had pulled over with black smoke coming out the front
could probably have saved it, but did not have one

It's a good thing you didn't stop. your picture would have ended up on the internet with a caption like "Telsa driver puts out car fire". the grainy picture would be taken at such a distance and strange angle to make it look like it was your car.
best bet is to keep driving.

No but I am getting a break glass hammer for car glass. They sell them at The Container Store for $15

I have one of those combo emergency tools that has a glass break hammer & a seatbelt cutter, similar to this one: (I keep it in the glove compartment)

http://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Breaker-Emergency-Escape-Tool/dp/B002AMAXNA/

I also keep a small automotive fire extinguisher in the trunk, because you never know, although I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to that. I did look at the canned aerosol spray cans ("extinguisher in a can"), but the reviews say they are not reliable in terms of actually working when it comes time to use them, so I just have a small automotive version (some come with a trunk-mount bracket). I also have one of those pre-made roadside duffel bags from Walmart, they go for about fifty bucks and have a flashlight, jumper cables, first-aid kid, and so on. Small price to pay for some piece of mind, and you can help out your buddies or strangers when they get stuck in a bad situation if needed.

Don't think water is recommended for putting out electrical fires ;) Use Dry Power or CO2.

While true, a battery fire isn't an electrical file, it's a chemical fire. Basically, you have to let it burn itself out and cool it down to prevent it from catching nearby objects on fire.