Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hand wash, or drive through?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mark----I am applying a silver epoxy after the holidays to the rotor hats to alleviate, seal, protect and shine that center area of the interior of the wheel. Another owner Artsci on this forum whom is a model MS owner, referred me to the product he used and he has photos of his MS that were done and they look amazing. It really makes the wheel look great and new again. The product is G2 paint system and it comes in various colors, all heat rated as it is brake caliper graded.

I use the high pressure wash from time to time. I just don't get right up on the paint and I don't recommend getting too close. It doesn't do anywhere near a good job though IMHO. I feel it is a beneficial rinse to remove bird dropping and such in between hand washings when free time is limited. I like to spray out the wheel wells and hit the underbody, but don't go crazy and I just make sure I stay away from the door handle area.

Is it OK to take the model S to those self-wash places where you just get a high-powered stream of water, some soap (if you want it) etc.? I wouldn't use their brushes, of course. I would just use either their soap and water, or just their water.

That is what I do, but I don't use the high pressure except on the wheels and during the spotless rinse (The latter has much lower pressure). After close to two years and coming up to 37,000 miles my car still looks good enough to show. Of course, I have paint armor on every painted surface.

Guess I do not understand what is different with the paint on the Tesla than any other car. I have brought my BMWs though numerous automated car washes without issue. Even the dealer has one right on their premises. The latest versions no longer use nylon brushes but ones made from felt/cloth. If I'm not mistaken all car manufacturers now use water base color coat and a solvent based clear coat. I know the detailers complain the clear coat is so hard they do have a hard time buffing things out. The closest thing I have to an issue is with any of my cars that have the sport suspension, which are lower. They barely (but do) clear the guide rail.

I do however keep a good layer of sealant on the paint (I'm a Zanio fan).

All brush car washes will leave swirl marks on all car finishes - not just a Tesla thing. If you are using something like Zaino or the like, then its likely hiding the swirl marks.
I use Zanio on the 15 year old car. For the 2011 BMW I purchased the 5 year (10 application) "Auto Butler" service. You will cringe if you watch this video but the car comes out looking like new, not a swirl mark to be seen, and it also sees about 10 automated car washes a year: Auto Butler essentially has 2 passes. One to clean any contaminants off the car a second to apply the sealer. Short Animated Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbYwO9sZOds
Longer actual video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXh0U6rQe9s

This is not a sales pitch, just though you would find this interesting. But back to the original thought. The newest generation clear coats are pretty hard and with reasonable precautions you should be able to wash the car without scratching it, even in a MODERN car wash. I still think it's no different on the Tesla than any other modern car regardless of CA pollution laws (Germany has them too). In NJ self hand washing is not a year round option.

Last edited:
Lovingly hand wash in my driveway during the summer months. In the winter, it's drive-through car washes for me. I use one that has a kind of conveyor belt you drive on to because I've had problems with damaged rims on those ones with the track that pulls you by the tires. I've used both "touch-free" and "soft cloth" washes and find the soft cloth ones work a lot better.

I used the local brushless carwash in San Rafael per the recommendation of the SC. 1st time, it worked great. They know how to handle Teslas. Apparently they do all the car washing for the SC. The second time the left rail rubbed my 21"s. Thankfully I have rim guards. So the guards got trashed, but the wheels are okay. Hand wash from now on.

I hand wash year round despite the cold winters. I wear scuba gloves that keep my hands from freezing.

I brought my car in to Tesla so they could install winter tires on new rims (I went with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires.) They performed a courtesy wash but when I returned to pick up the car the hood was filled with swirl marks. Needless to say, I was little upset since I have not allowed anyone else to wash the car and have been very careful to avoid the swirls.

My service advisory looked things over and called over the detailing guy, both of whom acknowledged the swirls. They will be performing a complete detail when I return from a holiday trip and have promised a mirror shine with no swirl marks.

In the future, my service tickets will includes a note indicating "no washing" just like Linkster.

I used the local brushless carwash in San Rafael per the recommendation of the SC. 1st time, it worked great. They know how to handle Teslas. Apparently they do all the car washing for the SC. The second time the left rail rubbed my 21"s. Thankfully I have rim guards. So the guards got trashed, but the wheels are okay. Hand wash from now on.

The rails in car washes have a tendency to cut the tires--regardless of tire size. I wouldn't take any car through them--even a Yugo. If I lived where it was vary cold and had no access to quarter type car wash, I'd use the brushless kind where the car sits and the spray mechanism circumnavigates the car.

Do you know anything about the strength of detergent used by those circumnavigators? This is what I use on my pre-Tesla and had never heard of this before (but it's logical).

No idea. It's been a long time since I used one. I'd expect a vehicle with complete paint armour coverage would have fewer problems with strong detergent than a vehicle without.

Do you know anything about the strength of detergent used by those circumnavigators? This is what I use on my pre-Tesla and had never heard of this before (but it's logical).

I'm wondering the same. I am waiting for my P85D (late February) but currently have an S4 that was damaged by those detergents. The 'aluminum look' side mirror caps turned hazy from the wash detergents, and there was no way to return them to the original look. I've long suspected that the higher end wash option did it, and the simple/cheap wash would do less damage, but that's just gut opinion...

Kb silver ----- This Auto Butler. I googled and found them to be in Narberth Pa. Is this the one you use? And you would swear by them too? No swirl marks and good paint protection sealant in the final pass I take it? What does this even cost too if you would share.....

Hand wash only. For major cleaning I have a multi-pattern hose nozzle with attached soap dispenser loaded with Optimum Car Wash or else I do it using Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax (2-bucket method). And I have a spray bottle of Optimum Opti-Clean in my trunk for spot cleaning (bird droppings, etc.) or a quick once-over. I probably wouldn't mind trying a touchless car wash but there are none in my area; and even if the newest car wash here uses cloth strips instead of brushes, the cloth could be carrying dirt/grit lifted off the preceding cars. Makes me grateful I live in FL.

Kb silver ----- This Auto Butler. I googled and found them to be in Narberth Pa. Is this the one you use? And you would swear by them too? No swirl marks and good paint protection sealant in the final pass I take it? What does this even cost too if you would share.....
The Auto Butler machine I use is actually at the BMW Dealer (Flemington in NJ) where I bought the car. This machine/process can be purchased by anyone who wants to offer the service (essentially being a franchise). The BMW dealer runs all their new cars through it once prior to sale and when you purchase the car they offer the Auto Butler package for (at least 3 years ago) $500. When I figured the supplies needed for 10 waxings, and the fact the car is detailed inside and out, with all the labor seemed like a good deal so I took it.

Once an Auto Butler customer, you technically can take take the car to anyone who offers the service for your 2x yearly applications, but I only go back to the dealer (exactly one of the reasons they offer the service as once there you might spend $$ on something else). I am happy with the service. When the car is completed there are no swirl marks as the system is a type of glazing that would fill any in. Now the 2 caveats I have. My BMW is metallic grey and does not show imperfections that much to begin with. And the treatment is pretty much weathered off in the 6 months. Unlike Zanio which with a few layers lasts for several years.

I have an appointment for my next treatment in a few weeks. At the dealer it has become so popular there is over an 1 month wait to get an auto butler appointment, but less than a week to get a service appointment. Also as it provides a paint warranty, they probably will only do it for the first 5 years, I doubt they would sign up someone for a second 5.