Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hand wash, or drive through?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha!

EXTREME "fusspot" here...my hand wash only! I have been told by my two SC's that I am the only person that always states on the maintenance/repair order to please:

1) No wash
2) No alignment
3) No tire rotation

I do the same re: washing! I even made signs for the windows. I will be the only one to wash my girl. After spending this much coin, I do not want the finish messed up by an auto-wash. Tesla's are notorious for soft paint.

I haven't owned mine long enough for and alignment and can't rotate my 21's. Can you tell me your issue with alignment?

Thanks!

I do the same re: washing! I even made signs for the windows. I will be the only one to wash my girl. After spending this much coin, I do not want the finish messed up by an auto-wash. Tesla's are notorious for soft paint.

Thanks!
I wonder if you would be still saying this if you live in an area of the country that is below freezing several months out of the year? Could you stand your expensive car being covered in white salt for many months when you cannot hand wash it?

TD

The P85 was a H U G E deal for us as it was 3X the cost of any of our previous daily drivers. I always try to keep our cars looking as new as possible and in top running condition to prolong their service life (I am a nut that sets the charge limit daily). I have no issue with any aspect of the car nor how the SC's operate. IMO, the car, the SC's, and all Tesla employees are beyond incredible. I just tend do some things differently that have worked well for me over the years.

btw, Lump and his wife are "ma kinda people" :smile:

btw II , if I lived in a very cold climate, I STILL wouldn't run the P85 through a car wash (but that's just me).

Last edited:
I hand wash. I also had the rotors on my P85+ painted. I plan to do the same to my D next week.

image.jpg

I wonder if you would be still saying this if you live in an area of the country that is below freezing several months out of the year? Could you stand your expensive car being covered in white salt for many months when you cannot hand wash it?

No F-ing way!!! I grew up in Connecticut, so I totally get it. I will tell you, living in CA is a car geek's PARADISE!!! When I lived in SoCal, it only rained 3 months a year. When dry, I could go a month or more with only dusting off the paint. Now in NoCal, it takes more work. But I am willing to do it. Must be a sickness. But what I do is dust the car gently, no matter how dirty, and then use a waterless wash with super fancy microfibre cloths. I still can't believe it, but I get no swirls, scratches or anything. I've been doing it for 9 years now.

Yes, living in snow country is no fun for the car obsessed.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah....I did that once too (I was Pearl White)....its a sickness....O

- - - Updated - - -

How sick am I? I actually changed the oil once in a rental because it was low and filthy. Time for the nuthouse.

- - - Updated - - -

TD

The P85 was a H U G E deal for us as it was 3X the cost of any of our previous daily drivers. I always try to keep our cars looking as new as possible and in top running condition to prolong their service life (I am a nut that sets the charge limit daily). I have no issue with any aspect of the car nor how the SC's operate. IMO, the car, the SC's, and all Tesla employees are beyond incredible. I just tend do some things differently that have worked well for me over the years.

btw, Lump and his wife are "ma kinda people" :smile:

btw II , if I lived in a very cold climate, I STILL wouldn't run the P85 through a car wash (but that's just me).

Agreed. Buying my girl is the biggest expense I have ever had by a HUGE margin and a complete stretch for me. But I simply had to do it.

Great to hear about the SC. I have heard stories where the finish has been marred at the SCs. I had a $2,500 polish and seal done days after delivery, and she is more lovely than ever. So I am particularly paranoid about it being damaged. I'm a woodworker whose specialty is finish, so I am completely obsessed with a flawless sheen.