Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an Accident.... (Collision work for Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately this thread is reminding me of this old one:

Design Flaw: Front End Collision = Expensive Repairs

IIHS Obvious Conclusion of the Day: Mismatched bumpers cost thousands in repairs
iihs-small-car-bumper-tests-opt.jpg

"Your frunk is ajar..."

I feel your pain... I rear-ended someone with my S TWO WEEKS after taking delivery. The hood is deformed and now it won't open, but you can't really tell at first glance. So I don't feel quite so foolish driving around town while I wait (forever?) for the body shop to order a new hood.

So sorry to hear about this. One thing you have going for you regarding the repair... Your car is black (I think), so the paint work will not be as tricky as a multi-coat metallic would be. Be sure to get a body shop recommendation from your Tesla Service Center and let the adjuster know you are doing so. Not every body shop is equipped to deal with aluminum or knows how. If Tesla is not sure, try calling your local Audi dealer, and ask them where they would send an A8 for body work. That's also an aluminum car. Thankfully, your damage doesn't look too serious. Perhaps they'll just replace the frunk lid with a new one.

Years ago one of my coworkers got into a crash driving his new car off the dealer lot. Fellow was a bit of a sad sack... stuff like this always seemed to happen to him.

I know this story with one my colleagues too. As he tells the story with his newly acquired Volvo, 60 seconds off the lot, he got T-boned at a stop light by a driver under the influence.

I think we all live with this fear with new vehicles.

I know this story with one my colleagues too. As he tells the story with his newly acquired Volvo, 60 seconds off the lot, he got T-boned at a stop light by a driver under the influence.

I think we all live with this fear with new vehicles.

Yowch. At least he got to drive it for 60 seconds. My former coworker actually crashed turning out of the dealer's lot.

Within the first week of getting my Model S, I almost rear ended someone too. It is different from the OP's circumstances but I thought I share.

I was in the slow lane of 3 lanes on I-405. The car was slowing down in front of me due to traffic but the next 2 lanes were free, I accelerated and start to turn left to get onto the next lane and next thing I know, I had to swerve left very hard to change lane quicker as the car in front of me stopped and the Model S was more responsive in moving forward than my Audi A4. It was a very close call.

I think that was a big lesson for me and I am sure many of you getting your cars soon will also learn. The Model S accelerates very quickly and has a very responsive pedal, so instead of the 1-second delay as the engine rev up, it just goes. I had to change the timing and action sequence for lane changes - my blind spot check, turning wheels and accelerating; and also the distance needed to the next car.

My A4 is turbo charged and pretty fast but the Model S accelerates so much faster. Be careful as great power comes great responsibility!

Do others have the same experience?

If you have to have an accident at least it's great no one got hurt, and hopefully minor damage.

I will be very interested on what the damage turns out to be...unfortunately these days minor external damage can hide a lot underneath since cars are built to absorb impact and designed to "crumple" for safety reasons. It has been my unfortunate experience to find the crumpling can be hidden, hope it is not the case for you.

I was in the slow lane of 3 lanes on I-405. The car was slowing down in front of me due to traffic but the next 2 lanes were free, I accelerated and start to turn left to get onto the next lane and next thing I know, I had to swerve left very hard to change lane quicker as the car in front of me stopped and the Model S was more responsive in moving forward than my Audi A4. It was a very close call.

The exact same thing happened to me, on I-10; a group of cars ahead of me slowed down abruptly as I was trying to merge left. With the S's responsive handling, I was able to dart out of the way in the nick of time. A tenth of a second later and there would have been a collision. Driving a bit more carefully now, just in case!

That's kind of like blaming Secretariat for the self esteem of the other horses. ;)

Since horses are a herd animal and adhere instinctually to a hierarchy (where 'competition' is often a catalyst - competition for food, a mate...), then it stands to reason that Secretariat may in fact have affected the 'self esteem' of some of his competitors. He was after all quite a well-conformed individual and faster than most. :wink: