Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groaning sound when turning + slowing under regen braking low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope your service center is better than mine Literally everything is normal to them no matter how bad it is.
so i took it to service, was told the groaning was normal with new front motor, as compared to other new model Ys on lot.
Was told it’ll get better after break in period (unspecified miles).

few hundred miles later, i tried to replicate this, only noticed very small groaning, definitely way better from before. Will test again after 1-2k miles.

I assume it might really be characteristic of new car. But 2019 X that develops this later on might indicate something wrong with drive unit

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I have a 2021 Model Y, and have now driven 27000 km.
I also visited the service center 5 times with the same symptom, but still couldn't solve it.

The inspection history so far is the replacement of the following items.
1.upper arm
2.compliance link
3.lateral link
4.lower arm
The video below is a video I shot myself.

Has anyone solved this problem?

I have a 2021 Model Y, and have now driven 27000 km.
I also visited the service center 5 times with the same symptom, but still couldn't solve it.

The inspection history so far is the replacement of the following items.
1.upper arm
2.compliance link
3.lateral link
4.lower arm
The video below is a video I shot myself.

Has anyone solved this problem?

There is someone on reddit with a video of an identical noise that claims Tesla replaced the front drive unit and this was the solution.

Mine makes the exact same sound (low speeds, decelerating, making sharp turns). Usually experience it turning in parking lots. Made a service center appointment, they came on a test drive with me and said it’s “normal” and is just a sign of the new drive unit breaking in and should go away after a few hundred miles.

The sound only happens when decelerating with the wheel turned significantly left or right.

Mine makes the exact same sound (low speeds, decelerating, making sharp turns). Usually experience it turning in parking lots. Made a service center appointment, they came on a test drive with me and said it’s “normal” and is just a sign of the new drive unit breaking in and should go away after a few hundred miles.

The sound only happens when decelerating with the wheel turned significantly left or right.
same exact situation, few hundred miles later i noticed its getting considerably better. I wish those in the past post would’ve commented back if theirs went away, got fixed, or no fix and any long term consequence

I have the same issue and was messed up by a few days by the service center. I will try to upload later as well as try to replicate with regen braking off/lowered. I have a Mar 2023 MYLR7 and noticed it like it was a rubbing sound where a tire was too big or abs brakes were partially engaged. I can only replicated when turned 80-100% quick accel to 15 mph and let go while the wheel is turned.

had a mobile tech put in homelink and had him listen he agreed it wasn't normal, brought in for service for minor cosmetic stuff and when they said my car was ready, I checked and saw they couldn't replicate the noise. I called and told them how to and sent a video (I had a tech ride in the car with me too and he confirmed hearing it.) I told them I do not want to pick up the car just to take it back and they need to fix it. A few days later they said it was all fixed and when I get the car, it still has the noise and the notes are the same.

posting here for reference to see if it resolves itself or if i should also pester Tesla since it's taking a lot more than normal for them to make it right. (2nd tesla, first one had paint issues but not much other problems that didnt get resolved properly)

I have the same issue and was messed up by a few days by the service center. I will try to upload later as well as try to replicate with regen braking off/lowered. I have a Mar 2023 MYLR7 and noticed it like it was a rubbing sound where a tire was too big or abs brakes were partially engaged. I can only replicated when turned 80-100% quick accel to 15 mph and let go while the wheel is turned.

had a mobile tech put in homelink and had him listen he agreed it wasn't normal, brought in for service for minor cosmetic stuff and when they said my car was ready, I checked and saw they couldn't replicate the noise. I called and told them how to and sent a video (I had a tech ride in the car with me too and he confirmed hearing it.) I told them I do not want to pick up the car just to take it back and they need to fix it. A few days later they said it was all fixed and when I get the car, it still has the noise and the notes are the same.

posting here for reference to see if it resolves itself or if i should also pester Tesla since it's taking a lot more than normal for them to make it right. (2nd tesla, first one had paint issues but not much other problems that didnt get resolved properly)
here’s the exact notes from after they didnt find anything the first time:

Road tested vehicle with 3-4 other employees including management. On regular streets going between 40mph to slowing down with regen to 20mph to 10mph turning wheel going left or right. No abnormal noises were heard at the time of road test. Road tested other similar year make and model. Verified vehicles are identical when driven. Verified proper vehicle operations at this time.
Correction: Front Suspension Noise Diagnosis

here’s the exact notes from after they didnt find anything the first time:

Road tested vehicle with 3-4 other employees including management. On regular streets going between 40mph to slowing down with regen to 20mph to 10mph turning wheel going left or right. No abnormal noises were heard at the time of road test. Road tested other similar year make and model. Verified vehicles are identical when driven. Verified proper vehicle operations at this time.
Correction: Front Suspension Noise Diagnosis
link to sound video:

My groaning went away. I am just over 2500 miles now. My excessive gear whine from the front drive unit, even in neutral, remains. The groaning was less annoying than the whine because it was only on slowing turns into driveways while the gear whine is pretty much all the time.