Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Grill Me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been critical of the Model 3 nose in this thread and others.
I take it all back.

It grew on me.

Rock on!

image.jpeg

I'm liking the front even better from these new pics. However, since since we are waiting with idle hands and all...how about James Anders or whoever try their hand at an as-is front minus the hard creases under the headlights to emphasize the creased statement of the flat nose? This thought brought to you from the Devil's workshop.

While the Model S is a low volume car "relatively", there are just a few companies that have invested into making body kits and modified pieces, knowing that only a very, very small percentage of the 100,000 or so Model S owners will be willing to change anything. As such, the development costs aren't worth it. Saleen went bankrupt for a reason. A few make side skirts and spoilers, but I think there's only two companies that offer an all new nose for the Model S.

However, with the Model 3, it will clearly be a high volume car, likely appealing to a much younger demographic that's more than willing to modify their cars. As such, you can rest assured, there will be MANY vendors out there that will offer mods for the Model 3, the nose being one of them. One of the largest complaints about the Model 3 design as no doubt been about the nose. Almost every article written comments on it being controversial and it is. And it won't be to everyone's liking. The other complaint being the lack of a gauge panel. If Tesla really does start producing 300,000 or more of these cars per year, there will be a long list of modifications made available in a short period of time. I'd be there are many companies already working on the design of those pieces now.

Reactions: T34ME
Problem with the 3 nose cone is that it’s made in one piece. Just the cost of tooling to reproduce the front bumper / nose cone will stop after market modification. Then add to that all the sensors that are now part of the nose cone making changes more difficult.

Problem with the 3 nose cone is that it’s made in one piece. Just the cost of tooling to reproduce the front bumper / nose cone will stop after market modification. Then add to that all the sensors that are now part of the nose cone making changes more difficult.

I agree but that hasn't stopped the aftermarket from creating new noses for the Prius with all the sensors (including radar cruise control, headlight washers, and towing tie downs). The after market will be alive and well with the T3. Figure around $800 to $1000+ (materials only) for a different aftermarket nose on the T3.

@el crucero

I’m working on a modification to the model “S” nose cone, the die to thermo form the new cone is $5,000.00 that’s before you add in material, labor etc. Still have to design all the clips so that it can be attached to the front of the car. If I went the injection molding route the die would be in the neighborhood of $30,000.00.

If you manage to sell a couple of hundred nose cones a year your going to lose your shirt if you sell them for $2,500.00 each. People buying the “3” will spring for 2,500.00 to get supercharging, maybe $250.00 for a lighted “T”, Some may spend a $1,000.00 for a lighted appliqué, but almost no one will spend 10% of the cost of the car for a different nose cone.

@el crucero

I’m working on a modification to the model “S” nose cone, the die to thermo form the new cone is $5,000.00 that’s before you add in material, labor etc. Still have to design all the clips so that it can be attached to the front of the car. If I went the injection molding route the die would be in the neighborhood of $30,000.00.

If you manage to sell a couple of hundred nose cones a year your going to lose your shirt if you sell them for $2,500.00 each. People buying the “3” will spring for 2,500.00 to get supercharging, maybe $250.00 for a lighted “T”, Some may spend a $1,000.00 for a lighted appliqué, but almost no one will spend 10% of the cost of the car for a different nose cone.

You are probably correct in the cost of creating the tooling for a custom front fascia, it ain't cheap! But with an initial run of 400,000 T3's to a younger segment of the market there will be considerable demand for a modified nose on the T3, not so with the model S and X. I speak from experience with my Prius. There several companies in California that have experience with creating new modifications (noses, ground effects, rear ends, etc.) for several different makes of cars. The nose on the Prius is large, around 6 feet long (wide), and one piece. Custom noses attach with the original clips. As I said, a new custom nose for the Prius runs about $600 to $1000+ depending n the quality of the materials and the extent of the tooling required.

I guarantee that there will be a demand for modified noses on the T3 and there will be a number to choose from. You can bet that there are at least of couple of these companies following this Forum right now and watching the "free" Photoshopped nose ideas by some very talented designers who are members here. I could be one of them! ;)

I just don’t see the cost of a redesigned nose cone for the S X or 3 costing only $600.00 to $1,000.00. If your taking the old off and just adding something like paint or a chrome strip, OK, $600.00 may even be high. Redesigning the look of the front of either Tesla is going to cost $3000.00 plus and six month to achieve, unless you own a thermo-molding company.

I just don’t see the cost of a redesigned nose cone for the S X or 3 costing only $600.00 to $1,000.00. If your taking the old off and just adding something like paint or a chrome strip, OK, $600.00 may even be high. Redesigning the look of the front of either Tesla is going to cost $3000.00 plus and six month to achieve, unless you own a thermo-molding company.

They have done it on a Prius for that price range and have sold enough to make a profit. Yes, the initial cost of tooling is going to be expensive, but if they sell a redesigned nose to say 5% of the T3 population (20,000 cars) they will make a profit at a price point of less than $1,000 (not including install labor). Here is just one examle of a FOUR piece custom kit for a Prius: Toyota Prius Duraflex TK-R Body Kit - 4 Piece - 109396 I am not talking about a one off for an individual car.

Es scheint eine gewisse Abneigung gegen das Frontend des Modells 3 zu geben. Ich beginne diesen Thread, damit die Leute ihre Ideen zur Verbesserung veröffentlichen. Okay, vielleicht kein Grill an sich, aber was auch immer Sie denken, es braucht. Ich wäre sogar offen für Humor, also hab es drauf! Hier ist meine Idee. Ich denke, es macht einen großen Unterschied und passt genau zum Rest der Familie, insbesondere zum Modell X.

View attachment 170214
...sieht verdammt gut aus, hab selbst schon mit photoshop rumprobiert, aber dein vorschlag ist echt spitze, wie könnte man das umsetzen?