Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

grease on brand new gen 3 wall connector charge port, is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the gen 3 wall connector installed yesterday. After a full charge, I pulled out the charge port to see that there are some grease inside the charge port.

Is this normal? I am worried something is leaking as I heard the charge cable uses liquid cooling now? Would appreciate if someone can confirm if this is normal. Thanks a lot!

Screenshot_20231114_201753_Gallery.jpg

I have the gen 3 wall connector installed yesterday. After a full charge, I pulled out the charge port to see that there are some grease inside the charge port.

Is this normal? I am worried something is leaking as I heard the charge cable uses liquid cooling now? Would appreciate if someone can confirm if this is normal. Thanks a lot!
I don't have Gen3 but I've used mobile connector V1, V2 and Wall Connector Gen2 with no grease for the past 11 years.

Did you look at it before charging? If it was greasy from the factory, then I wouldn't be concerned when it's still greasy after charging.

If it was dry from the factory and greasy after a charge, it might not be grease at all. It might be something melting, and I would be concerned.

Upvote 0
The Wall Connector cable is not liquid cooled. That's supercharger cables. Even if it were, it wouldn't use a thick grease for the task. Perhaps there was some grease used on the weather seals in the connector that did not get cleaned up. I'd take a rag and wipe it off of the charge cable connector and the car's receptacle. Then, make and break the connection a few times to be sure the grease doesn't reappear. Check around the area where you found the grease to be sure there's no gaps or cracks that might let more escape. Make and break the connection in the car a few times and inspect again.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Thp3
Upvote 0
After a full charge, I pulled out the charge port to see that there are some grease inside the charge port.

I had not paid attention enough, third thought LOL.

If it wouldn't be dielectric grease, the car wouldn't have charged or would have probably give errors. Again, the electrician must be to blame.

Thank Genie to like my replies, please like this one too :p I keep coming back hoping to read @op's reply.

Upvote 0