Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your post said 80 miles daily commute. If one drives very little, the Volt is overkill, IMO. The value proposition just isn't there. If one drives 80 miles per day, the Volt isn't gaining you much over the lower priced Prius. It's sort of a bastard-child surviving in a niche market until someone(most likely Tesla) makes an EV in that price range. Then there will be a ton of imitations(see smart phone market), and a few Kodak's(short sighted companies always fail).

The narrow range I think Volt makes most sense is if it is your only car and you can stay in EV mode a very large percentage of the time while still giving your flexibility for longer trips. For an 80 mile commute a Prius does make more sense most likely.

Well one good thing as Tesla owners!

We can all do our part and drive as much as possible so that sometime in the next few years hopefully our Teslas will have accumulated more total EV miles than this pathetic excuse of a GM failure.
:tongue:

I don't see that Volts will increase the need for an increased charging network. Home charging works well, but it takes 3 hr to obtain a full charge. If you need to drive more than 40 mi, the gasoline engine is too handy.

My wife works for United Airlines. She drives to the airport and parks at a free Blink charger provided by her employer. She can have an 80 mi commute with an employer provided charger. Volts can take advantage of chargers in the workplace if they are free. Chargers with a fee cost about the same as an equivalent price for gasoline.

I wouldn't call it a failure. From what I've heard, the Volt has gotten good satisfaction ratings overall among owners and Chevrolet has generally sustained monthly sales between 1300 - 2500 cars. It also may meet the needs of people who are unable or unwilling to spend more for a Model S (which is of course a great car), yet would like to get in the EV space.

Well one good thing as Tesla owners!

We can all do our part and drive as much as possible so that sometime in the next few years hopefully our Teslas will have accumulated more total EV miles than this pathetic excuse of a GM failure.
:tongue:

The narrow range I think Volt makes most sense is if it is your only car and you can stay in EV mode a very large percentage of the time while still giving your flexibility for longer trips. For an 80 mile commute a Prius does make more sense most likely.

This is a common mistake people make too. Going by EPA ratings (38 miles electric range, 40 mpg highway on gas for the Volt, 48 mph highway for the prius), any trip distance less than 228 miles the Volt will get better mileage overall.

Mileage Chart.JPG

With the Green Sticker program in CA about to reach its 40K limit any day now, I was thinking that sales of Volts would drop and BMW i3's with the scooter motor wouldn't get off the ground. However, there's a proposal going through now to raise the limit to 85K cars.

It's a bummer for the rest of us, as it'll clog the carpool lanes even more. Last time the Yellow Stickers hit something like 75K, lots of carpoolers were complaining that the advantage of that lane had mostly gone away. With 80K plus all the Teslas and Leafs I expect even more congestion.

It depends.
The Volt can get have 27mpg to mid-40s mpg depending on conditions, and EV range, without hypermiling, can be 25 to 50.
The cost crossover also depends on electricity and gas prices
Plus people drive different distances and have different access to charging.
Everybody needs to do their own math.

But the Volt is also a much nicer car to drive than a Prius which is why satisfaction is so high.

In theory, GM and others should be making longer range batteries as the years go on(because the tech gets cheaper), slowly shrinking the gas part of the car until they can figure out how to get a nice all EV. I mean, that's what it's all about right? But it doesn't seem to appear so, more that GM and Toyota have accepted complacency. It's been 6 years now since the Volt debuted. At this rate, my daughter who will be 16 in 13 years won't have an all EV to choose from.....oh wait, yes she will, from Tesla.

In theory, GM and others should be making longer range batteries as the years go on(because the tech gets cheaper), slowly shrinking the gas part of the car until they can figure out how to get a nice all EV. I mean, that's what it's all about right? But it doesn't seem to appear so, more that GM and Toyota have accepted complacency. It's been 6 years now since the Volt debuted. At this rate, my daughter who will be 16 in 13 years won't have an all EV to choose from.....oh wait, yes she will, from Tesla.

Unless they were fully to serialize the drivetrain they'd have packaging constraints for the battery.

I wouldn't call it a failure. From what I've heard, the Volt has gotten good satisfaction ratings overall among owners and Chevrolet has generally sustained monthly sales between 1300 - 2500 cars. It also may meet the needs of people who are unable or unwilling to spend more for a Model S (which is of course a great car), yet would like to get in the EV space.
Despite me not being a fan of GM, yes, the Volt has done very well in owner satisfaction polls and virtually everyone I know w/one is happy with theirs.
GM does sell an all electric car on the West Coast.

2014 Spark EV: Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet
Sold only in CA and OR in TINY numbers. See Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard.
there is not a nice medium range all EV out there. Give that to the people and watch the switch.
The only one that's medium range out there now is the Rav4 EV aka "poor man's Tesla" which is unfortunately only a CA compliance car. Sells in tiny numbers as well (see earlier URL). Was not selling until Toyota started putting on big incentives and/or putting on more attractive lease deals. When it was $50K MSRP (before Fed tax credit and CVRP) and no manufacturer rebates/incentives, it was NOT selling.

I bought a volt last year after I bought the tesla. It's our kid commute car. We've been able to stay 99% EV. The 1% was mostly winter driving when efficiency was down and the motor came on to supply heat. It's also been used twice when someone (cough) forgot to plug it in.

I think we should give GM and the Volt a little credit. The Volt handily outsold Tesla in 2012 and again in 2013 and is selling about as well in 2014. While not a true EV it is introducing many thousands to driving mostly electric. It is a solid step in the right direction.

I think we should give GM and the Volt a little credit. The Volt handily outsold Tesla in 2012 and again in 2013 and is selling about as well in 2014.
2012, really? They outsold them in 2011 as well :wink: If they sell similar volumes as the S in 2014 that's not great for a car that's less than half the price. Not saying the Volt isn't a good car but it's obviously not the success GM was hoping for. So far the S does seem to be the success Tesla was hoping for.

So there is an article on the Volt on cnet.com:

In the age of Prius and Tesla, can the Chevy Volt succeed? We ask GM. - CNET

I thought these parts stood out and I'm glad the interviewer called out on the Spark answer.

Is GM really serious about electric cars?
Fox: In addition to the Volt, we have the Spark EV. That's pretty successful. And we've taken the extended range [electric] propulsion system to the Cadillac ELR

About the Spark EV. Why is it sold only in California and Oregon?
Norwicki: It's a limited-availability car sold globally.

So we still know Tesla is light years away from competition if GM thinks having a limited-available EV is "being serious about electric cars" hahahaha.

About the Spark EV. Why is it sold only in California and Oregon?

Norwicki: It's a limited-availability car sold globally.
----------------------------------------------------------------

That is an evasive non-answer. The interviewer should have followed up on that. The Spark is a compliance car that GM is not serious about producing or marketing.

The Volt is a good car, and opens up driving electric to many people who don't have a better option. You don't have to fit the generalized best usage case scenario either. I plug in my Volt every chance I get, but I only drive about 30% electric. Why was it a better choice for me than say a Prius? Lots of reasons, really. But the core reason is I want to participate and support electric propulsion. A Model S isn't quite practical for me yet (due to needing to save more money and needing at least one Supercharger that isn't built yet). What the next best option? The Volt.