Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t try this in a Model 3. The solar panels will not fit!! Fortunately I had my Volt.
60B0A2B3-A764-413E-983D-B72BC600B5DF.jpeg

Reactions: bro1999
My freaking Volt smells like burnt plastic whenever I use the gas engine. Gosh GM QC is almost as bad as Tesla
How old is your Volt and how many times have you used the gas engine in it?

I owned a Volt for 6 years. There is a noticeable smell the first few times that the engine is used as the new parts and any surface oils/dust etc. burn off from the heat of running the engine and exhaust. This can also happen if the engine hasn’t been used for a long time. This isn’t noticed on other gas engine cars because the engine runs much more frequently and for longer periods of time.

The Volt is a lot better than a Bolt. Sad to see it come to an end. It was one of a kind.
Huge numbers of people will be switching from gas-only cars to plugin cars in the next decade. Although many of these new cars will be BEVs there is still going to be a need (or a preference in some cases) for a transitional car like a Volt. I agree the Volt was an excellent car although it was perhaps a bit too small for some and the strategy of placing the battery in a tunnel in middle took up too much interior space.

GM May yet bring back the Voltec design in the future. Other companies will have similar vehicles such as the Honda Clarity PHEV (and the BMW i3, sort of).

How old is your Volt and how many times have you used the gas engine in it?

I owned a Volt for 6 years. There is a noticeable smell the first few times that the engine is used as the new parts and any surface oils/dust etc. burn off from the heat of running the engine and exhaust. This can also happen if the engine hasn’t been used for a long time. This isn’t noticed on other gas engine cars because the engine runs much more frequently and for longer periods of time.

I have 6000 miles and gas was used maybe 1500 miles. I searched online already. Everyone talks about how it is break in and its normal. I am like WTF. There is clearly a plastic burning smell coming from the car when the engine is warmed up. The car's been very good, but this problem along with some small flaws drive me nuts. My Smart car doesn't have the same features, but at least I know it doesn't stink when I get in it.

I have 6000 miles and gas was used maybe 1500 miles. I searched online already. Everyone talks about how it is break in and its normal. I am like WTF. There is clearly a plastic burning smell coming from the car when the engine is warmed up. The car's been very good, but this problem along with some small flaws drive me nuts. My Smart car doesn't have the same features, but at least I know it doesn't stink when I get in it.
Hmm. Try driving around in Hold mode for a few days so the engine runs like it would in a hybrid car although I would think that 1,500 miles of gas use, as you say, should have been enough. Even after the initial “burn in” it will still have a brief initial smell if it comes on after not being used for awhile (weeks or thousands of miles on EV only).

If this doesn’t fix it then perhaps you have a slow oil or other fluid leak that is burning off every time the engine starts?