Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glitch or power saving technique at 30% battery and below?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - first long road trip in our 2017 X 100 D and my wife complained that once battery hit 30% the LTE dropped and things started to glitch including music. She topped up at supercharger and things were fine but as she got down below 30% near the house it glitched again. Range mode was turned on - is this intentional power saving by the vehicle or a flukey glitch with MCU1 and firmware.

note we rebooted the computer the other day.

I would say a glitch or MCU1 problem. You didn't state what software you are at currently, but I am at 2020.44.25 and have not seen this. I don't think you can save much power by turning off LTE. Maybe dependent on the signals in that area and a coincidence with the charging.

MCU1 glitch, almost certainly. I've never seen that behavior, but the last few software versions have not been great about media on the MCU1. If I didn't know better I would swear my flash is starting to go, or Tesla is trying to get me to do the MCU2 upgrade.

My 2017 MX 100D was glitchy like that on a regular basis from the time it was new until I got the MCU2 upgrade. I would estimate I rebooted the system (or it rebooted itself) every 100-200 miles. My guess is that it was likely just a coincidence that she was around 30% SOC when the glitchy happened.

FM radio was available a couple weeks ago when I did my MCU2 upgrade, but opted to try it without it for a while. On a trip from MA to FL and so far just fine. I stream my favorite radio stations on TuneIn or through my phone.